TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

lumaka

Re: TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Post by lumaka » 19 Nov 2018, 12:52

There's also Mumford & Sons' new album which on British iTunes is even higher than Little Mix (M&S - 1, Little Mix - 3). TGTBTQ debuted at 17th.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 19 Nov 2018, 13:01

lumaka wrote:There's also Mumford & Sons' new album which on British iTunes is even higher than Little Mix (M&S - 1, Little Mix - 3). TGTBTQ debuted at 17th.
Oh yeah, that'll sell tons. Prob 40-50,000.
Just goes to show, chart positions are as much a factor of what else comes out in the same week as the number of sales.
I expect Merrie Land will shift 20,000+ this week which would have been enough for the top spot in quite a few weeks.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 19 Nov 2018, 18:35

Neal Zeal wrote:
lumaka wrote:There's also Mumford & Sons' new album which on British iTunes is even higher than Little Mix (M&S - 1, Little Mix - 3). TGTBTQ debuted at 17th.
Just goes to show, chart positions are as much a factor of what else comes out in the same week as the number of sales.
I expect Merrie Land will shift 20,000+ this week which would have been enough for the top spot in quite a few weeks.
Well I was right about Little Mix and Mumford - both around 40,000 sales so far at numbers 2 and 3.
But Merrie Land is nowhere near!
Currently #24. Sales must be way down at around 5,000 or something.
A little bit baffling...

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 19 Nov 2018, 19:06

Neal Zeal wrote:
Neal Zeal wrote:
Well I was right about Little Mix and Mumford - both around 40,000 sales so far at numbers 2 and 3.
But Merrie Land is nowhere near!
Currently #24. Sales must be way down at around 5,000 or something.
A little bit baffling...
"Odd" that they can shift c. 2,250 tickets at £40 in London within 2 minutes of being on sale, but over a variety of formats can't sell 5k of £10 albums...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 19 Nov 2018, 19:07

tom_cas1 wrote:
Pavlich wrote:I wonder how this band will go? They could really go heavy on the festival circuit and do the right appearances and get a good name for themselves going.
I was thinking the same. As cool as tiny shows are the band deserve a full tour to open them up to a bigger audience. Especially here in the US. The band is too good to just release an album, play a handful of small shows, and then come to an end while Damon begins a new project. I hope he gives the band more time. It’s time to let Gorillaz die and focus on this.

I believe they will do quite a few European festivals and maybe 2 major gigs here (such as in NYC and LA). I don't know if Tony nor Paul would want to embark on a full-fledged tour now.

I have this odd feeling that Damon will shift his focus back on Blur somehow and I know the other three seem primed for that!

In terms of rating this album over the other, I need for my initial wave of elation/buzz towards the album to wear off until I can make any sound judgment. But it keeps on getting better and each every listen and "Gun To The Head" has been stuck on my mind for days!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 19 Nov 2018, 19:11

That's what happens when promotion isn't up to scratch and they release the wrong songs as singles. Merrie Land was always a grower. Gun To The Head too. Should have dropped either The Great Fire (would have been an excellent Halloween single) or The Truce Of Twilight (very Clash-esque). It's a shame. Great album. Pity management don't give a shit and haven't in a while.

You're also meant to big up the album as much as possible and to create a mystery around it. Build the hype. Get people WANTING IT. Never really happened. Releasing every song on Instagram takes away from the magic in my opinion, and then having every single song for free on YouTube does too. Dumb as f*ck.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 19 Nov 2018, 22:27

My biggest hope is that they play the Royal Albert. That's a venue I have always wanted to go to, and it would be so fitting for them and especially this album. Lady Boston, with the choir, at the RAH would be euphoric on so many levels.

There definitely seems to be enough interest to warrant a world tour. Damon has such a large fanbase worldwide that he could almost always justify it. I know that many of the friends I met at Gorillaz gigs the past couple years are dying to see GBQ live, so the success of Gorillaz' most recent tours would surely help. But it is easy to forget that Tony is getting up there in age, as well as Paul, so who knows how that could affect a tour. Doesn't seem like that should stop them though! Tony is the eldest, and he just played a set at Demon Dayz LA before flying back for Jools Holland.

I can't wait to hear this album live... this is going to translate so well into a small, live setting. The first album, along with ER, TMW, and Humanz (not so much The Now Now) all had songs where I much preferred the live version to the studio version. I cannot tell if that will be the case with Merrie Land, as the production is just so crisp and so perfect. Which takes me to my next tangent: as much as I love Stephen Street, I would LOVE to see Tony Visconti produce a future blur album.

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 19 Nov 2018, 22:39

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:
Pavlich wrote:I wonder how this band will go? They could really go heavy on the festival circuit and do the right appearances and get a good name for themselves going.
I was thinking the same. As cool as tiny shows are the band deserve a full tour to open them up to a bigger audience. Especially here in the US. The band is too good to just release an album, play a handful of small shows, and then come to an end while Damon begins a new project. I hope he gives the band more time. It’s time to let Gorillaz die and focus on this.

I believe they will do quite a few European festivals and maybe 2 major gigs here (such as in NYC and LA). I don't know if Tony nor Paul would want to embark on a full-fledged tour now.

I have this odd feeling that Damon will shift his focus back on Blur somehow and I know the other three seem primed for that!

In terms of rating this album over the other, I need for my initial wave of elation/buzz towards the album to wear off until I can make any sound judgment. But it keeps on getting better and each every listen and "Gun To The Head" has been stuck on my mind for days!
as for possible Blur activity in foreseeable future, let's not forget Dave's obligations as councillor in Norfolk County Council until 2021. He seems to be very serious about his duties.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 20 Nov 2018, 07:50

tom_cas1 wrote:You're also meant to big up the album as much as possible and to create a mystery around it. Build the hype. Get people WANTING IT. Never really happened. Releasing every song on Instagram takes away from the magic in my opinion, and then having every single song for free on YouTube does too. Dumb as f*ck.
Yes, this always baffles me - the actual release of the album is lost in a haze.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

stephen

Post by stephen » 20 Nov 2018, 09:18

No one buys physical releases anymore. I've maybe streamed the album 3-4 times on Spotify and watched the video's on YouTube.

I think they could be persuaded to do a few European festivals (they did with the first album). They might already have this lined up but cannot see a massive world tour.

Looking forward to Blur getting back into the studio...has to be the next stop surely.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

bugman

Post by bugman » 20 Nov 2018, 11:24

stephen wrote:No one buys physical releases anymore.
what? i buy around 50 records (or more) in a year. i can't imagine that i don't have physical album of my fav artists.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 20 Nov 2018, 12:38

I still buy some physical albums, but mainly those of special editions for collection purposes. I did buy the physical TNN album after already owning on Itunes and is still in its shrink wrap, the same can be said for the vinyl version with book, badges, postcards etc and I haven’t even got anything to play that on.

stephen

Post by stephen » 20 Nov 2018, 12:39

bugman wrote:
stephen wrote:No one buys physical releases anymore.
what? i buy around 50 records (or more) in a year. i can't imagine that i don't have physical album of my fav artists.
You are of an incredibly small minority.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

rich

Post by rich » 20 Nov 2018, 12:56

well I'm in that minority too - I'm afraid I'm of that age where I still need to have physical manifestations of music that I love!

bugman

Post by bugman » 20 Nov 2018, 12:59

rich wrote:well I'm in that minority too - I'm afraid I'm of that age where I still need to have physical manifestations of music that I love!
that's right!