TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

TripleJay97

Re: TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Post by TripleJay97 » 18 Nov 2018, 01:25

bugman wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:It’s better than the debut. There. I SAID IT.
No, it isnt !
Yes it is!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 18 Nov 2018, 01:50

It’s a musical masterpiece. Listen to the songs and what they contain musically. Forget the lyrics for a minute and just listen. It’s not just drums, bass and guitar. There are so many other things happening during each song that it blows me away every time I hear them. Exquisite on every level and just a joy to listen to.

Now add the lyrics, but more importantly the melodies. Damon nails them. His best vocals in a long long time. Wow.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 18 Nov 2018, 06:30

The debut is a classic masterpiece as well. I don't like comparing the two just yet, of course Merrie Land is better at this moment. It's fresh and new, I've heard the debut a million times since 2007.
but, having said that lol the drums and production on this album are so much better. It sounds like how it is advertised... a supergroup with Tony Allen. You could barely hear him on the debut... He is an underrated drumming, and Merrie Land shows how talented he is. Especially at his current age, this is some of his best work.

I don't really understand comments about "the band needs to jam more". they are clearly jamming under Damon's vocals. much more than the first album... Tony Allen is even included more now and you can actually hear Simon's ideas on guitar coming through more on repeated lessons. Examples are The Great Fire, 1917, Last Man To Leave and Truce of Twilight
I don't think there was that much jamming on the debut other than the title track and it was the last track 'The Good, The Bad and The Queen'. Not that it is a bad thing, I just don't understand that as a criticism. I think the band is better and more pure sounding on record here compared to the debut. which was a lot of Danger Mouse
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 18 Nov 2018, 08:46

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:I am soon going to listen to "Merrie Land" again for the 3rd time, but must finish listening to "TMW" in its entirety which I do at least once a month or more!

This is a Spotify related question regarding the TGTBTQ self-titled album, but is "Behind the Sun" blocked from playing for everyone else and if so... Does anyone know any particular reason why? Thanks!
I like how you brought up TMW. I listened to Think Tank, The Magic Whip tonight and I forgot how great TMW is! Both great records but TMW takes the cake for me. It's kind of annoying how the buzz for that album died down. It was classic , then it was great, now it's mediocre. I hope Merrie Land doesnt suffer that fate.
Eh, me just jumping the gun like I said. but this is a subject for another day I suppose. Sorry. Maybe to many pints

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 18 Nov 2018, 14:41

metalhipslop wrote: I like how you brought up TMW. I listened to Think Tank, The Magic Whip tonight and I forgot how great TMW is! Both great records but TMW takes the cake for me. It's kind of annoying how the buzz for that album died down. It was classic , then it was great, now it's mediocre. I hope Merrie Land doesnt suffer that fate.
Eh, me just jumping the gun like I said. but this is a subject for another day I suppose. Sorry. Maybe to many pints
I honestly don't think the buzz for "TMW" has completely died down whatsoever. It seems several of the songs still impacts most of us. To me personally, the buzz/hype of "Humanz" and especially "The Now Now" both respectively subsided as soon as they initially surfaced!

I'm the primary one who you were citing about "lack of jamming" and I actually agree with you to a high degree on your response. Perhaps this album obviously wasn't the proper time for their to freely showcase themselves instrumentally since this to me was Damon's best lyrical/vocal effort since "TMW".

Regarding comparing their self-titled and "Merrie Land"..... So awfully difficult for me to do....especially claim which one is better. But what is again most amazing is that they managed to sustain the same synergy/chemistry they did over 11 years-ago and even then they were together for only a brief period, but it proves how professional each of the four are individually and are able to unite in such in amazing manner! That's a major feat in itself! I thought the 11+ years away would have been a major detractor, but I am glad I was promptly proven otherwise!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 18 Nov 2018, 15:31

I’ll go as far as saying that not only is Merrie Land better than the debut, it’s also one of Damon’s finest ever albums. Demon Days is #1 for me but this isn’t far behind.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 18 Nov 2018, 21:02

I absolutely agree that Merrie Land is better than the debut - which is no slight against the debut, as it is one of Damon's top 5 best records... but Merrie Land is just stunning from start to finish. I find new things to love everyday. I am so excited for the following months (and years, even) listening to this record, because as of right now it is my 4th favorite Damon album of all time (under Demon Days, 13, and blur's s/t), and I know that is subject to change. And it's great seeing everyone here loving this record, cos there have been some great discussions about it in this thread.

bugman

Post by bugman » 18 Nov 2018, 22:16

i can't wait to discuss about this record 6 months later, when we will not be so excited ;]
i prefer debut album, it's more suprising, not only slowly, melancholly songs, it's more catchiest (kod for example), some faster songs (3 changes, gbq)

for me battle between the now now and merrie land win the first one

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 18 Nov 2018, 23:30

I think this is Damon's Demon Days of this decade. I've reached that point.
Each day I listen again it gets even better. I don't think my opinion will change any time soon. A very cool record 8-)

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 19 Nov 2018, 00:25

How Damon can churn out an album that’s spark came from Brexit and sounds so damn cool and original is beyond me. The stories that are told in these songs are amazing and I agree with those saying it’s his most surprising and best album since DD. I love the self titled but for different reasons, hard to choose a favourite but it’s very early days. Just amazes me how he can so effortlessly go from Blur to Gorillaz then to TGTBATQ, three very different bands, Damon has given me the soundtrack for my life since 1993, the man is a genius.

Who knows if we will get another album from Blur but for now I am more than satisfied.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 19 Nov 2018, 03:08

I wonder how this band will go? They could really go heavy on the festival circuit and do the right appearances and get a good name for themselves going.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 19 Nov 2018, 03:45

Pavlich wrote:I wonder how this band will go? They could really go heavy on the festival circuit and do the right appearances and get a good name for themselves going.
I was thinking the same. As cool as tiny shows are the band deserve a full tour to open them up to a bigger audience. Especially here in the US. The band is too good to just release an album, play a handful of small shows, and then come to an end while Damon begins a new project. I hope he gives the band more time. It’s time to let Gorillaz die and focus on this.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 19 Nov 2018, 12:16

The album's initial commercial fate (in the UK) will be known this evening.
Last week, Muse grabbed the number one album slot with 40,000+ sales.
There's no way Merrie Land will shift that many.
I think it might manage around 20,000 which could be top 3 (and potentially #1) depending on what else is selling.
Although reviews have been good, it only really picked up decent airplay on 6 Music.
Would need a decent Radio 2 single for it to reach out to the floating voters.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 19 Nov 2018, 12:28

No chance of a number one, my daughter has made me aware that Little Mix’s new album also came out last Friday too :roll:

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 19 Nov 2018, 12:38

northernmonkey wrote:No chance of a number one, my daughter has made me aware that Little Mix’s new album also came out last Friday too :roll:
Ah yes, that would be a stumbling block! Expect Liitle Mix would sell at least 50,000 in the first week.
Be interesting to see if Merrie Land goes gold eventually (100,000) like the first one did.