TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Renny

Re: TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Post by Renny » 09 Nov 2018, 14:04

That sounds amazing! It's going to be a long week!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 09 Nov 2018, 14:19

The Poison Tree sounds much better than the other two. Love it. That makes me feel better as I still hadn’t warmed to the others yet.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 09 Nov 2018, 14:20

Also my guess is they’ll release previews of every song on Instagram every day until release day.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 09 Nov 2018, 14:33

I am the opposite, I have warmed to the other two but on the snippet I don't like the sound of the direction of the song, only a few secons preview so I am not going to condemn the song just yet ;)

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 09 Nov 2018, 14:36

The reception of everything so far is so mixed... on this site
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 09 Nov 2018, 16:03

So excited to hear The Poison Tree in its entirety. So nice, and Damon’s falsetto sounds great. It’s my favorite that I’ve heard thus far as well.Reminds me a bit of Behind The Sun, one of my fav tunes from the debut. Damon can write such pretty songs.

I wonder if this will end up on iTunes/Spotify at some point, or if they’re just going to post sneak peaks till next week.

kdiglas78

Post by kdiglas78 » 09 Nov 2018, 16:17

i love this new stuff. Poison Tree sounds like a real crooner. The other two have a beautiful sense of melancholy and resignation to the uncertainty of what awaits post Brexit. Who will we be? Is the nostalgia for a non-existent Britain past enough to build a future on? I find these songs to be quite tender and respectful essays on how a nation reimagines its identity and the pitfalls that may await.

I’m in my 40’s and have been following Damon’s work from the start. I have to say that I don’t get the negativity on here towards his more recent work. If anything I would say he’s on the trajectory I always imagined. I’ve read lots of complaints that he no longer writes ‘hits’. The obvious reply is ‘so what?’ To my taste, he makes interesting, thought-provoking, soul-satisfying and groove inducing music. I guess I just don’t understand people who long for an artist to remain in stasis.

Looking forward to this record and the upcoming live shows.
Last edited by kdiglas78 on 09 Nov 2018, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 09 Nov 2018, 16:26

I have to admit on the two full songs heard, the bands return is better than expected. As I have already said elsewhere Damon for me in 2018 has nailed it with this and TNN, just needs to spend time in a studio more with other musicians instead of with his IPad.

kdiglas78

Post by kdiglas78 » 09 Nov 2018, 16:28

BTW, in case there’s any echoes, Here’s William Blake’s poem, The Poison Tree which deals with repressed anger, vengeance, and tempting people to consume poisoned fruit.

I was angry with my friend;
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.

And I waterd it in fears,
Night & morning with my tears:
And I sunned it with smiles,
And with soft deceitful wiles.

And it grew both day and night.
Till it bore an apple bright.
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine.

And into my garden stole,
When the night had veild the pole;
In the morning glad I see;
My foe outstretched beneath the tree.

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 09 Nov 2018, 16:40

kdiglas78 wrote:BTW, in case there’s any echoes, Here’s William Blake’s poem, The Poison Tree which deals with repressed anger, vengeance, and tempting people to consume poisoned fruit.

I was angry with my friend;
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.

And I waterd it in fears,
Night & morning with my tears:
And I sunned it with smiles,
And with soft deceitful wiles.

And it grew both day and night.
Till it bore an apple bright.
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine.

And into my garden stole,
When the night had veild the pole;
In the morning glad I see;
My foe outstretched beneath the tree.
Used by Blur as the lyrics for Magpie.

kdiglas78, I totally agree with your previous post!

The Poison Tree will make superb album closer.

kdiglas78

Post by kdiglas78 » 09 Nov 2018, 16:43

northernmonkey wrote:I have to admit on the two full songs heard, the bands return is better than expected. As I have already said elsewhere Damon for me in 2018 has nailed it with this and TNN, just needs to spend time in a studio more with other musicians instead of with his IPad.
Damon uses an iPad as a compositional tool. He used to use a 4-track as a compositional tool. The only Gorillaz record produced fully on an iPad was The Fall. I don’t see how using an iPad, especially when you have to furnish collaborators with song sketches, is a negative thing.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 09 Nov 2018, 17:32

I too use software like Garage Band for music which is great, but a lot of his work over the last few years has obviously had programmed drums and bass, you can hear the difference. To me this present in much of ER, a little in TMW and a lot on Humanz. I think Garage Band for music is great and I can’t go back to using a 4 track but a lot of his stuff has sounded greatly inferior to when played live due to this in opinion.

kdiglas78

Post by kdiglas78 » 09 Nov 2018, 17:49

Right, so it’s programmed elements that you don’t like? I guess it’s all taste. Of course Blur’s music, from the beginning, has featured programmed elements quite prominently.
Last edited by kdiglas78 on 09 Nov 2018, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 09 Nov 2018, 17:51

kdiglas78 wrote: I’m in my 40’s and have been following Damon’s work from the start. I have to say that I don’t get the negativity on here towards his more recent work. If anything I would say he’s on the trajectory I always imagined. I’ve read lots of complaints that he no longer writes ‘hits’. The obvious reply is ‘so what?’ To my taste, he makes interesting, thought-provoking, soul-satisfying and groove inducing music. I guess I just don’t understand people who long for an artist to remain in stasis.

Looking forward to this record and the upcoming live shows.
It's not the lack of hits that's the problem. It's the lack of brilliant melodies.
Magic Whip and the solo album were just full of unmemorable tunes (to my ears at least).
I play the guitar and when I hear a great song, I learn the chords and strum along.
He hasn't written a single song that I've wanted to learn and play along with for years now.
I've not really listened to this new GBQ stuff properly yet but I'm really hoping it's a return to his melodic best.

kdiglas78

Post by kdiglas78 » 09 Nov 2018, 18:03

Actually, there’s an argument to be made that his music has become more melodically complex while becoming musically more simplified. You can see as his career developed that he has learned to trust his instincts more. Blur’s earlier work is more musicaly ornate in terms of structure, but this takes a turn around ‘Blur.’ This is not-so-coincidentally at the same time that his work becomes more personal with ‘Beetlebum’ being the confessional that leads the charge. So, as Damon has become more ‘honest’ in his writing, the musics structures have simplified while the melodies have broadened in range. Undoubtedly his delving into African, R&B and Hip Hop music has further coloured his palette and widened his scope. I find myself reaching for most things from’13’ onwards, and I think Everyday Robots is an an extremely arresting album. I loved Humanz and we shake our booties to it in our house while bemoaning the political realities it predicted. Now, the singability of a melody has no bearing on its quality. It’s just - different. I have no problem with getting the recent melodies stuck in my head for days and it’s actually irritating! But each to their own.