TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

metalhipslop

Re: TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Post by metalhipslop » 05 Nov 2018, 15:15

Really loving the song. Studio version is better in my opinion. The drums sound more like you would expect from Tony and the added piano is a great touch.
I think this will be Damon’s most grand sounding album since Plastic Beach. Love the production quality
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 05 Nov 2018, 16:29

I really don't like Gun to the head. Struggled to listen all the way through.

Too cartoony and just sounds like a poor Madness song to me on the first couple of listens. Merrie land is a much better.

Definitely lowered my expectations for the album. I do wonder whether Damon has just reached that stage where he is not capable of producing the quality he once did.

Hopefully the album proves me wrong as it is only one song.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 05 Nov 2018, 16:58

Daysleeper wrote:I really don't like Gun to the head. Struggled to listen all the way through.

Too cartoony and just sounds like a poor Madness song to me on the first couple of listens. Merrie land is a much better.

Definitely lowered my expectations for the album. I do wonder whether Damon has just reached that stage where he is not capable of producing the quality he once did.

Hopefully the album proves me wrong as it is only one song.
I believe solo and his "outside projects" it might be the case, but not w/Blur since Graham keeps and the other two keep him check.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 05 Nov 2018, 17:36

The carnival instrumentation isn't my cup of tea. The best part is the last section of the song with the reverb soaked vocals. The rest of it though is disappointing, especially when you compare it to how great the first album was and still is.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 05 Nov 2018, 18:19

Gorillaz, Good The Bad, his awful solo album etc...what a waste of Blur material we have missed out on, one of the greatest duo's in musical history - Albarn/Coxon and barely anything in 20 years when they could have easily progressed.

Can you imagine if he actually made the effort and spent a month or two with the Blur fold, considering The Magic Whip was from a few days?

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 05 Nov 2018, 18:22

Seems like people will love it or hate that style. Even in blur.. it’s a quirky , cartoony like britpop days of blur. The chorus reminds me of cardiacs even. Dr see mixed with early blur is a great description.
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Renny

Post by Renny » 05 Nov 2018, 19:05

I really wasn't sure about gun to the head but I found myself humming it earlier and after a few listens tonight I find that it's really grown on me. Very intriguing album ahead.

bugman

Post by bugman » 05 Nov 2018, 21:33

anyone get a link to new track from pre-orders ? im waiting all day and nothing.....

JackS

Post by JackS » 05 Nov 2018, 22:01

I think Gun To The Head is great. Makes me think of Village Green Preservation Society.

Really optimistic about the album from the two songs we’ve had so far

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 06 Nov 2018, 07:28

I for one wasn’t that bothered about a new album after what did feel like too long a wait for a band who had only made one (great) album. But both released tracks are very different but for me are strong songs. I think you can hear the difference when Damon actually goes into the studio in a traditional sense as opposed the copy and paste way of doing things on an IPad as in Humanz. You can hear it in this years TNN to a certain extent, and for me being a big TNN fan (struggle to listen to Humanz) this year has been a return to form for his song writing. Fair enough he doesn’t write catchy pop songs with killer hooks anymore but he doesn’t need to.

stephen

Post by stephen » 06 Nov 2018, 09:01

I agree with what has also been said. Lyrically TNN is very strong.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

windymiller

Post by windymiller » 06 Nov 2018, 10:27

Has anyone pre-ordered it off Amazon? I was going to, but estimated delivery is saying 4 days after release, despite having Prime.
I know I could just get it elsewhere on day of release, but I find they're auto-rip feature really handy, if it comes with it. Saves faffing about, and I rarely listen to the actual CD anymore.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 06 Nov 2018, 10:46

windymiller wrote:Has anyone pre-ordered it off Amazon? I was going to, but estimated delivery is saying 4 days after release, despite having Prime.
I know I could just get it elsewhere on day of release, but I find they're auto-rip feature really handy, if it comes with it. Saves faffing about, and I rarely listen to the actual CD anymore.
Yep ordered the a4 book CD from them as a prime member. And it does say delivery 21st November. Bit odd that. But with autorip I'm not too fussed. I've also ordered the the vinyl from the official site, but I've had delays from the blur/gorillaz store too.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 06 Nov 2018, 17:20

I was hoping they’d release the album in the beautiful cardboard packaging we got last time. Nope, just a standard plastic case.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 06 Nov 2018, 18:39