Damon+Morrissey- 'entertaining month-long email exchange

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

metalhipslop

Re: Damon+Morrissey- 'entertaining month-long email exchange

Post by metalhipslop » 13 Apr 2017, 10:26

smiths are amazing no doubt. meat is murder and queen is dead are some of the best albums ive heard. ive always wondered though, seemed like damon disliked the smiths during mlir-tge days for some reason. maybe morrisey of course, but blur always had a bit smiths influence in their songs.
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

beatfloh

Post by beatfloh » 13 Apr 2017, 12:29

after a month of conversation with Damon, he found out that Suzi not only paint animals but that Olly carries a rifle and might use it.... :P

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 13 Apr 2017, 14:39

Perhaps the indifference or dislike toward Moz during those days was Damon simply trying to usher in blur as the new, separating themselves from The Smiths. And I think it's almost undeniable that they had a big influence on blur.

Back to the thoughts of Moz on this album... I would have LOVED to see what lyrics he would've come up with for this "dark" record. Moz imagining his worst nightmare (Trump of course) and how he would cope with it could have been utterly fascinating. God how I wish this collab had worked out!

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 14 Apr 2017, 15:33

aldamasta wrote:Perhaps the indifference or dislike toward Moz during those days was Damon simply trying to usher in blur as the new, separating themselves from The Smiths. And I think it's almost undeniable that they had a big influence on blur.
Yep, you're quite right here. Damon loved the Smiths and has said many complimentary things about them over the years. He obviously thinks pretty highly of Morrissey these days, hence the Gorillaz invite. Back in the early/mid 90s, though, he was trying to establish Blur as a new and original force in music so we got a few bitchy comments about Morrissey and others of his generation.
Blur and The Smiths have tons in common. Intelligent, musically diverse, arty (in a good way), melancholic pop groups with articulate, eccentric singers who embraced the concept of the frontman, and had a genuine love of pop culture.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 14 Apr 2017, 21:40

^ You hit many nails on their heads with that statement! Wonderful comparisons. Ya know, a paper on The Smiths influence on blur/comparisons between the two could make for a fun essay for my humanities class..... :D

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 17 Apr 2017, 08:59

Yes I agree that in the early-mid 90s Blur were the rising face of indie, turning a corner from where Morrissey/The Smiths were.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 22 Apr 2017, 21:27

A bit more info on the Morrissey situation (courtesy of an interview in a German mag, I think)

"There is the piece "Circle of Friends" on the album - it is a mini-song, which should have been longer and which I wanted to record with Morrissey. But with that I exchanged only a few ridiculous e-mails, and then he had no more desire. I also wanted Dionne Warwick. I played her the song on the piano and quickly realized that she would not join. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not! The only thing that is important to me with the people I work with is that we have a similar view of the world and a certain sympathy for each other. Somehow I thought the Morrissey and I were ticking a bit similar, but: Hey, he has never worked with anyone!"