Damon+Morrissey- 'entertaining month-long email exchange

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Neal Zeal

Damon+Morrissey- 'entertaining month-long email exchange

Post by Neal Zeal » 10 Apr 2017, 18:00

About Morrissey appearing on the new Gorillaz album - what I wouldn't give to read that!
Maybe Moz was still miffed about Damon's 1992 poem to Morrissey which (in response to Morrissey's 'London is dead' lyric on Your Arsenal) ended 'if London's dead then so are thee'!

Neal Zeal

Re: Damon+Morrissey- 'entertaining month-long email exchange

Post by Neal Zeal » 10 Apr 2017, 18:32

Ooh, just remembered one other thing.
It was actually a Morrissey quote on a 1987 South Bank Show that made Damon want to form a group.
Moz declared that pop music was dead or dying - Damon thought something like; 'hmm, we'll see about that'!

rich

Post by rich » 10 Apr 2017, 19:24

this is referenced in the Q piece, right?

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 11 Apr 2017, 05:05

That was very perceptive of Morrissey in 1987.

Music was going into a fallow period, and Blur helped to revive it later.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 11 Apr 2017, 14:01

This is a dream collaboration for me. I am so sad it didn't happen! Moz needs to break out of his usual mold and collaborators. To hear what he and Damon could do together would be amazing. Especially with the dark lyrical themes of Humanz. Sigh...

I think it's interesting that Damon contacted him. I've often wondered how well they know each other. Without Morrissey and The Smiths influence (not just Moz's pop premonition on the south bank show) it's likely blur may have never happened. I wonder how fond Damon is still of The Smiths and early Moz.

And as unlikely as it is, the fact that they had a month long entertaining email correspondence makes me hope that maybe a Moz/Albarn collab might occur in the future. I know it's gonna happen... sooooomeday ;) (but probably not)

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 11 Apr 2017, 14:47

Gosh this would have been quite something. And probably the most refreshing thing Moz could have done since the early 90s.

Maybe Damon will produce something of his in future, get Morrissey to ditch the wedding band he's had backing him and branch out a little bit musically.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 11 Apr 2017, 18:14

I'm glad the asshat isn't on the album. The guy is so far up his arse the lump in his throat is his nose.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 12 Apr 2017, 05:38

"it's a bit like going to see Morrissey..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJJuUOjT6L0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

devoiced

Post by devoiced » 12 Apr 2017, 09:28

Morissey, to me, is a great mystery of pop culture. How is he allowed to have a career? Why do people like and even respect him?
So many unanswered questions. :?
I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream

rich

Post by rich » 12 Apr 2017, 09:38

devoiced wrote:Morissey, to me, is a great mystery of pop culture. How is he allowed to have a career? Why do people like and even respect him?
So many unanswered questions. :?
the Smiths mate - you had to be there ;)
but he has drifted of late...

devoiced

Post by devoiced » 12 Apr 2017, 09:55

Yeah granted, I was born in 86 in Germany. Wrong place, wrong time. I guess it's a "you had to be there" situation.
Listened to "The Smith" a few years ago without any sentimental connection. Pretty good with some truly great tracks but very unimpressed by Morrissey's solo material and personality.
I totally get the Johnny Marr love, though. Much rather would see him show up on a Damon project.
I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 12 Apr 2017, 10:53

I'm a Morrissey fan for the music, not the man.

In terms of his solo catalogue, there's a lot of filler, but you get masterpieces like Speedway, Picadilly Palare, Alma Matters, and I Don't Mind If You Forget Me. I've found I don't enjoy an awful lot of his more recent stuff. That being said, the voice is still great when he sings within his range.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 12 Apr 2017, 13:52

Caitlin wrote:I'm a Morrissey fan for the music, not the man.
In terms of his solo catalogue, there's a lot of filler, but you get masterpieces like Speedway, Picadilly Palare, Alma Matters, and I Don't Mind If You Forget Me. I've found I don't enjoy an awful lot of his more recent stuff. That being said, the voice is still great when he sings within his range.
SP Moz was a genius back in the 80s. Fantastic singing and lyrics, and he deserved his reputation as the world’s best interview. His wit really was second to none. But with age his skills have been blunted, with too many duff songs and mediocre albums. Having said that, the last one (‘World Peace’) was surprisingly good (rubbish title-track aside). Smiler with Knife, Istanbul, Julie in the Weeds, Stairway to University, Oboe Concerto – splendid songs all. It was the first time ever that he’d put out an album in a similar era to a Blur release that was actually better than Blur’s (i.e. the bland, flimsy emptiness of Magic Whip).

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 12 Apr 2017, 20:30

I like World Peace (Staircase is one of my fav Moz solo songs), but I can't see it being anywhere near as good as TMW. Not even close!

That said, I'm quite surprised to see all of the Morrissey dislike and indifference here!

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 12 Apr 2017, 20:43

Caitlin wrote:I'm a Morrissey fan for the music, not the man.

Me too. No particular love for the man, but The Smiths are undeniable classic pop, no question. Morrissey's lyrics, Marr's music. Hard to argue with it in my opinion. I don't think you 'had to be there' necessarily, I was too young for The Smiths but I got it later on.
Last edited by 101reykjavik on 13 Apr 2017, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.