FOUR NEW GORILLAZ SONGS: Listen Now!

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

UnderThePuritan

Re: FOUR NEW GORILLAZ SONGS: Listen Now!

Post by UnderThePuritan » 27 Mar 2017, 07:10

Hmmm... I thought Andromeda was pretty average tbh. I wouldn't have it in the top 20 Gorillaz songs

munch

Post by munch » 27 Mar 2017, 10:02

tom_cas1 wrote:
Lt Pinkerton wrote:So we can all agree on Andromeda being Damon's best song this decade, right?
Yes.
i was thinking that. up with lonely press play?

also, ive only listened to that bad quality version of momentz one really quickly yet it was stuck in my head today.. :lol:
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

munch

Post by munch » 27 Mar 2017, 10:09

britpopunionblur wrote:
metalhipslop wrote:I agree totally. Plastic beach is my favorite Gorillaz record , but the others are practically just as good. Reason I rate Plastic Beach is the concept of it, lyrics, and how good it flows. How the orchestral intro and welcome to the world of the plastic beach go together is probably Damon's greatest achievement. Also, Plastic Beach allowed me to be in the same building as Damon (saw gorillaz live in toronto) for the first and only time.

Parkside, 13 are also my favorite Blur albums.
I Love the concept of Plastic Beach. Glad we agree man. What's your third favorite Blur album? anyways seems the Needle Drop isn't feeling these Gorillaz songs. Didn't like Damons solo album (which im with), Thought Magic Whip was just ok (Disagree) and these 4 songs he's not feeling. This guy reviews are usually decent but he's pretty harsh on Damon projects. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zo0gL2pW8s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I find that hilarious that he's advertising these razors and he' obviously cut himself :lol:

oh SH*Z he really really really hates the songs. wow. he is so wrong. he really needs to stop making videos now
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 27 Mar 2017, 10:25

Pavlich wrote:His best song this decade is Heavy Seas Of Love. One of the songs I will always remember of his.
100%. Makes me feel euphoric.

britpopunionblur

Post by britpopunionblur » 27 Mar 2017, 12:45

metalhipslop wrote:It's very hard to choose a third.. Probably modern life rubbish

I won't start on needledrop and why I Completely disagree with him cuz I'll be here typing all night and it won't achieve anything.
People are allowed to have their opinions, but needledrop is pretty popular and there is a group of people who follow his words like the gospel. So, that to me is a problem, and why I think reviews are stupid anyway. They don't mean anything, other than to give a preconceived idea of something before going in. For example, the people who watch his review of gorillaz new songs who haven't heard them, will go and listen for themselves with the idea of "This collaboration doesn't work, it doesn't sound like gorillaz, it's cheesy". And it will cloud their judgement.

Just my opinion.
Mine too lol we are on a role. Yeah the Needle Drop is ok to watch in my book. Just cause my radio show I try to find new music and use him and the pretentious but helpful Pitchfork. He just seems to be caring more about the features and not what Damon does
file:///C:/Users/Bluroasis/Desktop/Hipsters%20Hate%20Us%20107.3%20-%20Vail%20Vail%20Binks%208.jpg

EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT IN THE END. IF IT'S NOT ALRIGHT IT'S NOT THE END.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 27 Mar 2017, 15:29

Demon Days is the best Gorillaz album and it's not even close. I'd even go as far as saying it's Damon'a best album full stop. Magnificent from start to finish. Plastic Beach has some good songs but it's pretty dreadful in comparison. My two cents anyway.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 27 Mar 2017, 20:32

We Got the Power, Andromeda and Saturnz Barz are top, top tunes! Ascension is not my cup of tea, albeit it's damn catchy. Hallelujah Money is probably the only song that I've disliked at first but kept on growing on me during the first listen, hahah.

I have two complaints thus far. One has to do with the length of the tracks. They're too short! I could listen to We Got the Power or Andromeda all day, but they end too soon. I hope the rest of the songs are a bit longer.

My second complaint revolves around the guest musicians. I might get some hate for this, but there's too many rappers! Given the sound of the songs thus far, I would have loved if Damon had collabed with someone like Tame Impala, for instance.

Still, very hyped for the new album. I mean, it's a new Gorillaz album FFS! Who wouldn't be hyped?

jonathas

Post by jonathas » 27 Mar 2017, 20:47

I think Ascension is sensational - best beat and instrumental track that Gorillaz have done in an age and Vince sounds awesome and focused (for once); Andromeda is v v good but (particularly on the live recording) has a slightly underwhelming chorus. Saturnz Barz I love. Jury is out on We Got The Power; will probably end up loving it.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 28 Mar 2017, 00:04

Caitlin wrote:
Pavlich wrote:His best song this decade is Heavy Seas Of Love. One of the songs I will always remember of his.
100%. Makes me feel euphoric.
One of those songs with so many emotions and they're all as valid as the next. It's a simple song but the lyrics are good without being complex or obvious. It's just a great, great song. So good.
tom_cas1 wrote:Demon Days is the best Gorillaz album and it's not even close. I'd even go as far as saying it's Damon'a best album full stop. Magnificent from start to finish. Plastic Beach has some good songs but it's pretty dreadful in comparison. My two cents anyway.
Yeah Demon Days is such a great album, so good. I don't think it has as many highs as say Parklife and I'd start listening to a few Blur albums before it these days but it is really great. It's a real zeitgeisty album and has so many different feelings but it's a journey for the whole thing. I love how many sounds it attacks and pulls off. It nails a vibe and a sensation as well. It's just a good, melancholy, desperate, confused Damon album. Connected with so many young kids as well; we don't get albums like that anymore.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 28 Mar 2017, 06:46

jonathas wrote:I think Ascension is sensational - best beat and instrumental track that Gorillaz have done in an age and Vince sounds awesome and focused (for once); Andromeda is v v good but (particularly on the live recording) has a slightly underwhelming chorus. Saturnz Barz I love. Jury is out on We Got The Power; will probably end up loving it.
I totally agree about Ascension, so much energy, I think it will be a great opener on the album and I love Damon's dark vocals too. I like many here have only heard the rest of the songs through audience footage but after hearing the released tracks I am not worried about the production on this album, so much better than PB. I think it has the energy and variety of say self titled but the polish of DD.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 28 Mar 2017, 07:52

I have listened to the four songs via the YT links posted.

To my ears there is a late 80s-early 90s vibe, often quite spartan. Which isn't necessarily my thing.

Anyway, Damon continues to be inventive and I look forward to the album nonetheless :)
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

rich

Post by rich » 28 Mar 2017, 18:47

I detected a bit of a Bowie vibe actually - the album reminds me somewhat of Young Americans in its scope and feel, and the show's black/white shadowy presentation definately has a bit of a Isolar/Station to Station/Thin White Duke thing going on...
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 28 Mar 2017, 22:43

rich wrote:I detected a bit of a Bowie vibe actually - the album reminds me somewhat of Young Americans in its scope and feel, and the show's black/white shadowy presentation definately has a bit of a Isolar/Station to Station/Thin White Duke thing going on...
This comparison increases my interest all over again... none of the bootlegs or videos do the justice of hearing the whole album in person and I am really exited about the bigger picture... Isolar/Station to Station vibes - count me in :D Makes it just a bit more sad that David himself couldn't participate in the sessions...
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

munch

Post by munch » 30 Mar 2017, 00:41

someone did a cover of Saturnz Barz. amazing he got all those lyrics...............
Stripped back like this i could hear this being an old blur bside
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acMSpXxsVhE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

rich

Post by rich » 30 Mar 2017, 01:01

munch wrote:someone did a cover of Saturnz Barz. amazing he got all those lyrics...............
Stripped back like this i could hear this being an old blur bside
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acMSpXxsVhE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
he's very good - I will even forgive that Busted poster on his wall :lol:
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405