FOUR NEW GORILLAZ SONGS: Listen Now!

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

101reykjavik

Re: FOUR NEW GORILLAZ SONGS: Listen Now!

Post by 101reykjavik » 24 Mar 2017, 17:35

Totally agree. I don't want to gang up on anyone but it's a fairly silly thing to do to dismiss a whole genre. I'm really not a hip hop fan but I do like some old skool tunes for example and I don't doubt that if I dug around there's probably some modern stuff out there I'd maybe think was good too. It's just generally not my thing so I don't put the effort in to find out.
Last edited by 101reykjavik on 24 Mar 2017, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 24 Mar 2017, 23:43

Black culture and it's music is nothing to do with my life or music for the last 38 years, why should I pretend to like it? should i enjoy lyrics using the word "nigger" and random noise with no tune in sight?

As a massive Blur fan since 1991 and 90% of many on before any of you on here I won't be brainwashed much like your average terrorist.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 24 Mar 2017, 23:49

Actually if we're going to talk about black culture and it's music having anything to do with the last 38 years, you're wrong. Music today is the way it is because of the BLUES. From the BLUES came ROCK AND ROLL and from ROCK AND ROLL came ROCK, and so on. You trace it back and popular music today is the way it is because of the BLUES, black culture and black music. So let me stop you here. Stop chatting shit. You don't like rap, ok. For the most part I don't either, but I acknowledge that others do and it's impact. But to say black culture and black music has had nothing to do with music over the last 38 years is a load of shite. It's had everything to do with music for the last 80-90 years at least.

Veikko, forgive me for my rant. Feel free to delete this if we've gone off topic here. I couldn't not say anything.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 25 Mar 2017, 00:07

Talk Talk are one of your favourite bands too right, Sledge? Remember their most beloved albums Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock? Remember how jazzy they were? Remember the huge Miles Davies influence?

Oh and its not like black music ever made an impression on Blur either. That definitely isn't a sporadic dub influence throughout the self-titled, or African influences throughout Think Tank, etc.

saltandgin

Post by saltandgin » 25 Mar 2017, 00:10

Agreed.

I don't like the homophobic/bling bling types of rap music you sometimes hear on mainstream pop radio (I assume that's the type you had in mind?), but I realise it's only the thin top crust of the genre. Like how you get those pop-punk bands that sell licensed teen rebellion, I know that once you start digging, you get the real punk-rock.

I also hate that rhinestone cowboy country shit, but when you start mining for gold in any genre, you'll find a priceless seam sooner or later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF_3w_gXing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(This song is in my top 15 of all time greats)
Last edited by saltandgin on 25 Mar 2017, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.
NOT for the likes of you. Image

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 25 Mar 2017, 00:11

I absolutely agree with you, Tom.

I was writing a lengthy rant to add to yours, but that would be just a waste of time. Damon can do whatever the hell he wants and that is the right way to go. He probably doesn't care about some blur fans from whatever year nor that he should care. If he thought like that, we would still listen to the millionth iteration of "Bang" or something.

Simply put, if you don't like it - don't listen to it, don't pretend. But that doesn't mean that the artist should stop evolving.
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

saltandgin

Post by saltandgin » 25 Mar 2017, 00:17

For the last 15 years I've said (and witnessed countless others online doing) that Damon's latest music Isn't as good as his earlier work.... and as usual I'll love it by the twentieth listen. :roll: :lol:
NOT for the likes of you. Image

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 25 Mar 2017, 00:24

Sledge Hammer wrote:Black culture and it's music is nothing to do with my life or music for the last 38 years, why should I pretend to like it? should i enjoy lyrics using the word "nigger" and random noise with no tune in sight?

As a massive Blur fan since 1991 and 90% of many on before any of you on here I won't be brainwashed much like your average terrorist.
you're so dumb TOM had to show up and talk some sense into you.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 25 Mar 2017, 03:26

I've been a rap fan since the 80's, and what is popular today annoys me to no end. Vince's voice on Ascension almost makes me want to hate it. I love the energy and the tempo, but the repeated chorus and his nasal tone turns me off. If y'all like it, I ain't hatin.

And heavy auto-tune on Saturnz Barz? Yikes. I was afraid I wasn't going to like so many guests on this album, so far I am right.

A lot of people don't get why we like Blur so much. We're all different, we hear and interpret things differently and we should acknowledge and respect that.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 25 Mar 2017, 03:55

Sledge Hammer is a troll. I remember him from the old forums. Hates anything damon does that is non white or non rock. We get it, rock white or get out. Your so cool. No sense of an open mind. Wouldn't even bother talking about music with you
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

AstronomyD81

Post by AstronomyD81 » 25 Mar 2017, 11:45

I don't find weird that people don't like a whole genre of music, I don't like country music for example and I don't make any exception is possible that there is someone who doesn't like hip hop..I like some hip hop songs but I can't stand listening a whole hip hop record and the new Gorillaz it seems for the collaborations, that have a lot...of the new songs after a few listenings now I really like Andromeda, and we've got the power is not bad but the others two not my type, especially Ascension.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 25 Mar 2017, 12:01

Ascension has become my feel-good strut down the street tune. I adore it <3

Rhys

Post by Rhys » 25 Mar 2017, 12:52

Andromeda's been stuck in my head all day, it's absolutely fantastic! Heard Momentz on the livestream, that's really cool too. Humanz is going to be such a fun listen, I can't wait!

blackbook

Post by blackbook » 25 Mar 2017, 17:45

I've been really liking Andromeda so far. I also like Busted and Blue, but it isn't a single in the same way Hong Kong and Cloud of Unknowing isn't, and those two are some of my favorite songs. The Saturnz Barz video made me like the song a lot more. Ascension is ok, though it can be a bit repetitive. We Got the Power is probably my least favorite of the leaks, but it was quite enjoyable during the live stream. Looking forward to hearing the tracks with Anthony Hamilton, Carly Simon and RAY BLK.

Gorillaz is great because they can make me like any genre, and I admit they've contributed a lot to my interest in hip hop and rap. It's cool that Damon loves exploring all types of music, and it's one of the main reasons why I'm a fan.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 25 Mar 2017, 18:38

if the stream is anything to go by, "momentz" is going to be one of the stranger songs
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners