FOUR NEW GORILLAZ SONGS: Listen Now!

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

tom_cas1

Re: FOUR NEW GORILLAZ SONGS: Listen Now!

Post by tom_cas1 » 24 Mar 2017, 00:04

Forever Low Man wrote:
Danilo wrote:Only Andromeda saves . The rest is rap and rap is not music .
I'm not the biggest rap fan but that's plain wrong.
Agreed. I think everyone here knows I'm not the biggest rap fan but calling it "not music" is ludicrous.

Fuck, what a day!!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 24 Mar 2017, 00:14

tom_cas1 wrote:
Forever Low Man wrote:
Danilo wrote:Only Andromeda saves . The rest is rap and rap is not music .
I'm not the biggest rap fan but that's plain wrong.
Agreed. I think everyone here knows I'm not the biggest rap fan but calling it "not music" is ludicrous.

Fuck, what a day!!
Agree with you, it is not right to dismiss rap as something that is not musical. It is especially funny to say that in the context of Gorillaz, who have successfully mix rap with all the genres since day one.
I stumbled upon a cool short video on the variety of styles in the Gorillaz songs, which addresses the same idea - going out of bounds in music is great for both listener and the band, it opens so much more in terms of further musical exploration. Here is a link to the video: https://youtu.be/Ws82rXrjBOI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 24 Mar 2017, 09:09

Rap is, arguably, a type of music but it isn't song based music. If you prefer to listen to songs, rap just seems empty and tedious. I think that's probably the point...

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 24 Mar 2017, 09:25

Just logged in to say that Andromeda may be Damon's best single since On Melancholy Hill and that some of you guys must be really, really old.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 24 Mar 2017, 09:26

Neal Zeal wrote:Rap is, arguably, a type of music but it isn't song based music. If you prefer to listen to songs, rap just seems empty and tedious. I think that's probably the point...
Yup, that definitely makes a lot of sense!

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 24 Mar 2017, 11:38

Lt Pinkerton wrote:
Neal Zeal wrote:Rap is, arguably, a type of music but it isn't song based music. If you prefer to listen to songs, rap just seems empty and tedious. I think that's probably the point...
Yep and thus makes a lot of this new Gorillaz unlistenable to many, pretty awful imo.

jonathas

Post by jonathas » 24 Mar 2017, 11:47

Trying to work out what people mean when they say 'song-based' music? Has to have a verse, a chorus and a middle eight? Has to have a story or a narrative theme? I hate to disappoint, but a lot of rap music does all those things very precisely (alright, middle eights aren't that common).

But in terms of song structure there's very little to separate, say, Blowin' In The Wind from something from Illmatic.

As for rap not being 'musical', most hip hop producers are interpolating old funk, jazz and soul records which are absolutely drenched in musicianship.

It might be more accurate just to say 'I don't like rap music'.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 24 Mar 2017, 11:50

I am not a fan of rap myself, but I am really loving the new songs, Ascension I actually like, its got energy but a pretty dark song. Saturnz Barz is a pretty cool song actually and goes really well with the video, which I really like. Popcaan's vocals have grown on me and Damon's part in the second half with the haunting sort of tone is great, I can't understand why many don't see this as a singe. We Got The Power, took a few listens, but great energy again and can imagine it being a great song live. And then on to Andromeda, What a song, I can imagine this being played in clubs, Damon has nailed the vocals on this and the beat just pulls you in.

I can't wait to hear the rest of the album and really impressed by the production compared to that of PB.

thespider

Post by thespider » 24 Mar 2017, 11:53

Really like We Got the Power.

sara-m-a

Post by sara-m-a » 24 Mar 2017, 11:55

You know... is not so much "I don't like rap music" as it is "this new rap music is pretty crap and generic", I mean we can all agree that a lot of old time rap music was a lot more interesting. I don't like rap music, but even I could find some of it good or understand the appeal, these days? not so much

Rhys

Post by Rhys » 24 Mar 2017, 11:59

All four songs are fantastic! I absolutely love Andromeda and Ascension. Really liking the electronic and energetic nature of the songs, can't wait to listen to the rest of the record!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 24 Mar 2017, 12:03

The only song that still doesn't do anything for me is Ascension. Saturnz Barz has won me over completely though after I slated the demo version. Great track. I can see why people want it as a single. Andromeda is my favourite though. I'm going to say that it could go down as one of Damon's all time best Gorillaz songs.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

britpopunionblur

Post by britpopunionblur » 24 Mar 2017, 13:01

sara-m-a wrote:You know... is not so much "I don't like rap music" as it is "this new rap music is pretty crap and generic", I mean we can all agree that a lot of old time rap music was a lot more interesting. I don't like rap music, but even I could find some of it good or understand the appeal, these days? not so much

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly. Thats a new(ish) rap record that will send you in the right direction.
file:///C:/Users/Bluroasis/Desktop/Hipsters%20Hate%20Us%20107.3%20-%20Vail%20Vail%20Binks%208.jpg

EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT IN THE END. IF IT'S NOT ALRIGHT IT'S NOT THE END.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 24 Mar 2017, 14:45

Sledge Hammer wrote:
Lt Pinkerton wrote:
Yep and thus makes a lot of this new Gorillaz unlistenable to many, pretty awful imo.
I was being sarcastic, the original post is just one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Almost as dumb as disliking an entire music genre based on God knows what reasons.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 24 Mar 2017, 15:22

I do love it when people try and explain their distaste for rap on here and get nowhere.

I'm not a huge fan of most hip hop either but eh no need to be ignorant