GORILLAZ: Tour Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Re: GORILLAZ: Tour Thread

Postby stephen » 19 Dec 2017, 14:02

Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good
stephen

Postby stephen » 19 Dec 2017, 14:04

Sorry these have probably been posted before.

It's hard to keep track of it all. So many dates.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good
stephen

Postby aldamasta » 20 Dec 2017, 05:35

That Bilbao festival has a great lineup. Gorillaz, The XX, Alt-J, David Byrne, Noel, Benjamin Clementine... also Mexrissey is an interesting one! I love their Moz covers. I wonder if this means Noel and Benjamin may make an appearance with Gorillaz. Would be the first time since the first gig of this year since Hallelujah Money is performed live I believe, right?
aldamasta

Postby lumaka » 10 Jan 2018, 13:32

21 June 2018 ----> Chiba, Japan http://www.gorillazjapantour.com/en/
lumaka

Postby JAIME » 21 Mar 2018, 15:32

The show in Santiago exceeded my expectations, they played Hollywood for the 1rst time, Garage Palace with Little Slimz was just great (nearly 18,000 people "on fire" including Damon), and my personal favourites M1A1, 19-2000, On Melancholy Hill, Punk, Plastic Beach, Hong Kong and Don't Get Lost in Heaven. I only missed We Got the Power.
The sound was perfect, the atmosphere very enthusiastic, there were so many young people and even parents with their little children. Damon enjoyed a lot again.
JAIME

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 22 Mar 2018, 08:16

JAIME wrote:The sound was perfect, the atmosphere very enthusiastic, there were so many young people and even parents with their little children. Damon enjoyed a lot again.

Good to hear it was a great show. The age profile of the audience indicates how long Gorillaz (let alone Damon) have been active.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."
Mallard No. 22

Postby aldamasta » 22 Mar 2018, 19:28

The appeal of Gorillaz always amazes me. When I saw Gorillaz, there were highschoolers there seeing their first concert ever. I thought I was a young audience member at 19... some had me beat by four years!
aldamasta

Postby ricj » 28 Mar 2018, 11:54

This sounds absolutely beautiful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 40h6bDnOpM

If the new album has a few more songs like this then i'm going to love it 100% more than the last one.
ricj

Postby tom_cas1 » 28 Mar 2018, 14:35

I think the studio version of Idaho could be stunning. Sadly, Jeff Wootton can't play slide guitar to save his fucking life and absolutely butchered that live version. Some of the worst guitar playing I've ever heard. Either he's playing in the wrong key or his guitar isn't tuned. Either way, fucking dreadful.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby ricj » 28 Mar 2018, 15:51

Apart from the fact I didn't enjoy pretty much any of the music on Humanz, the main thing it was lacking for me was that quieter, melancholy, melodic side that is peppered over all the other albums. I totally agree that the studio version of this song could be mindblowing and am genuinely excited to hear it.

And yes, a lot of the slide work is pretty embarassing.... I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though as it is the first time they'd played it and we don't know how new it is to them to play. Obviously they were struggling to play it to a click on the first attempt.
ricj

Postby TracyJosh » 28 Mar 2018, 16:17

I don't understand why Damon has Jeff in the band. I've yet to see any evidence he brings anything whatsoever to the Gorillaz live performances. He just spews loads of really poorly executed slide playing with buckets of reverb and delay over everything. Half the time his guitar is inaudible in the mix anyway.

Don't want to be a bitch but he seems like a bit of a jumped up coke-head as well. I've heard a number of people closely linked to him back that up too, but hey, there's usually one in every band, normally they offer something distinctive artistically though.
TracyJosh

Postby aldamasta » 28 Mar 2018, 23:58

I'm very hopeful for the studio version as well. Especially since they've had months to nail that song which must have been written just a day or two before that performance.

I understand bringing your own personal sound/influence to a project like Gorillaz, but I wish Jeff would sometimes just play the songs closer to their original sound. He is definitely my least favorite musician in Gorillaz, but he doesn't detract so much that it's unbearable. Gorillaz are still amazing live. And Jeff can have his moments I suppose, but I adore Seye. Damon has always had great bassists it seems, and Seye is no exception. He's got the attitude and the groove.
aldamasta

PreviousNext

Return to Blur