GORILLAZ: Humanz + The Now Now Tours 2017-2018

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Mark72

Re: GORILLAZ: Tour Thread

Post by Mark72 » 22 Nov 2017, 19:36

I'll be at Birmingham. Looking forward to it and see the changes when I saw them at St Albans for their "warm up" gig way back in June!
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

johnol

Post by johnol » 26 Nov 2017, 09:15

I'm off to Birmingham too what time do you reckon they will be in for soy nd check?

windymiller

Post by windymiller » 27 Nov 2017, 18:49

London, London, London..........what a surprise when it comes to extra special guests.

SOLD OUT HOME RUN STARTS TONIGHT

The band will celebrate a massive year with a return home for a run of UK dates kicking off in Brighton tonight, before hitting Manchester, Birmingham and Glasgow, culminating in two sold-out nights at London’s O2 Arena on 4th and 5th December.

Gorillaz will be joined by a host of featured artists including Damon Albarn, De La Soul, Peven Everett, Zebra Katz, Little Simz, Jamie Principle, Bootie Brown and Vince Staples. In addition, the London shows will also see Hynotic Brass Ensemble ,Pusha T, Sean Ryder, Jehnny Beth, Gruff Rhys – plus special guests – take to the stage for what promises to be one very special end of year party.

bugman

Post by bugman » 27 Nov 2017, 19:13

who is sean ryder ?;]

Veikko
Site Admin

Post by Veikko » 27 Nov 2017, 21:24

...and are the both O2 shows really sold out (40,000 tickets)? They still seem to be available on the venue website (or is it resale?):
https://www.theo2.co.uk/events/detail/gorillaz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 28 Nov 2017, 11:21

25th July 2018, Kiev, Ukraine - UPark Festival

28th July 2018, Moscow, Russia - Park Live Festival

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 28 Nov 2017, 12:17

So, here are Gorillaz 2018 summer festival appearances announced so far

1-3 June - Rock Am Ring, Nürburg, Germany

1-3 June - Rock Im Park, Nuremberg, Germany

30 June - 7 July - Roskilde, Denmark

5 July - Rock Werchter, Belgium

6 July - Open'er Festival, Gdynia, Poland

12 July - Lucca Summer Festival, Italy

12 - 14 July - Bilbao BBK Live, Spain

25 July - UPark Festival, Kiev, Ukraine

28 July - Park Live Festival, Moscow, Russia
Last edited by lumaka on 28 Nov 2017, 17:12, edited 2 times in total.

OilyWaters

Post by OilyWaters » 28 Nov 2017, 14:05

Well - Brighton last night was super slick. Straight into 6 or 7 songs from previous albums , song after song - with a middle section of Humanz and quite a few guest appearances including a live version of Garage Palace with Little Simz coming back on for We Got The Power. Damon literally said next to nothing, it was straight into each song, pausing to comment about it being a Monday night and "whats going on at the moment" which Im guessing is his way of saying what a crap year 2017 is politically and socially. Im guessing tour fatigue is probably setting in as well. Great venue acoustically, really loud and clear.

I went to the warm up show in Portsmouth earlier in the year and the set list was very humanz heavy. its clearly been tweaked to take out some of the weaker humanz tracks, they've also been tinkering with some lyrics and extending the outro's of certain songs. The backing singers really make a massive difference to all the songs. For me, arguably a slicker performance than Portsmouth, but perhaps lacking in some of the enthusiasm.

rich

Post by rich » 28 Nov 2017, 14:13

looking good :)
sounds like it will be similar in feel to Margate Demondayz back in the summer - which was a gas!
I was going to the 02 on Monday with my gig-buddy daughter - except that I will now be recovering from (another) knee operation :( - so daughter's friend is taking my place...
I hope Damon's not too knackered...

stephen

Post by stephen » 28 Nov 2017, 15:36

OilyWaters wrote:Well - Brighton last night was super slick. Straight into 6 or 7 songs from previous albums , song after song - with a middle section of Humanz and quite a few guest appearances including a live version of Garage Palace with Little Simz coming back on for We Got The Power. Damon literally said next to nothing, it was straight into each song, pausing to comment about it being a Monday night and "whats going on at the moment" which Im guessing is his way of saying what a crap year 2017 is politically and socially. Im guessing tour fatigue is probably setting in as well. Great venue acoustically, really loud and clear.

I went to the warm up show in Portsmouth earlier in the year and the set list was very humanz heavy. its clearly been tweaked to take out some of the weaker humanz tracks, they've also been tinkering with some lyrics and extending the outro's of certain songs. The backing singers really make a massive difference to all the songs. For me, arguably a slicker performance than Portsmouth, but perhaps lacking in some of the enthusiasm.
Thanks for the review.

Was really torn whether to go to the Manchester gig, but the weather has been awful so I think I'll just stay in with a nice warm cup of coco and put my feet up after a hard week.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 28 Nov 2017, 16:02

I wonder if Graham will make an appearance at the O2 Arena?
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 28 Nov 2017, 17:16

I've seen both Paris concerts last weekend and loved them. The first one a little more, maybe because [fangirling alert! ahah] during El Mañana Damon sang entire first verse of the song looking into my eyes which was super nice (and even filmed by a guy standing behind me) :-) Although the French crowd didn't seem to know the lyrics of all the songs, the energy was really really good. Damon wasn't talkative either (some "good evening" and "how do you do?" in French, a declaration of love to Paris whispered more to himself then to the audience) till the already famous moment during the second show when he sneezed in the middle of Hong Kong :-) Later he said that it happened to him for the first time in his life and that the irony was that several minutes before he rubbed some tiger balm under his nose to help him breathe (Hong Kong was the first song of the encore). They had a lot of guests: Little Simz, Jamie Principle, Bootie Brown, Zebra Katz, Even Everett, Jehnny Beth, two De La Soul, Popcorn and Cheick Tidiane Seck on keyboards in Andromeda. I knew what to expect (unfortunately they didn't play Cloud of Unknowing...) but after the shows I had some chats with other fans who were surprised (and very happy about it) that the setlist wasn't Humanz heavy. Setlist almost the same for both shows, the second (filmed for Canal +) had Superfast Jellyfish added.

I had VIP ticket so I was also at the soundcheck. They were rehearsing some songs they usually play + Sweepstakes for London (Damon was actually singing something like "let's try this although we won't play it today, we will play it in London") and Let Me Out, I guess also for London shows, because it wasn't played during Paris concerts (without any guest on stage doesn't make sense I think). At one point Damon started singing and playing... Tender, others followed him, then he said "let's make it more funky" and they played a little bit more. Everybody was laughing, it was both hilarious and heartwarming moment.

windymiller

Post by windymiller » 28 Nov 2017, 19:49

Booked my tickets for Birmingham as soon as they went onsale. Does anyone know if its possible to buy an upgrade to gain access to the soundcheck?

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 28 Nov 2017, 20:00

windymiller wrote:Booked my tickets for Birmingham as soon as they went onsale. Does anyone know if its possible to buy an upgrade to gain access to the soundcheck?
Yes ---> https://www.adventuresinwonderland.com/ ... world-tour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 28 Nov 2017, 22:11

That sounds great, lumaka! Glad you had such a wonderful experience. I would kill to have heard his playing around with Tender!!