GORILLAZ: Humanz + The Now Now Tours 2017-2018

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

User avatar
Veikko
Site Admin
Posts: 748
Joined: 09 Nov 2011, 19:44
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: New Gorillaz album (2017)

Post by Veikko » 24 Feb 2017, 14:25

Here's a report from the fan who apparently met Damon at the Fufanu gig:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gorillaz/comme ... show_last/
Gorillaz' first gig of phase 4 will be a secret show next month (march), announced on the day that it will occur. (At a guess, the newsletter we could sign up for on the new Gorillaz site when it launched last year will be where we find out about this. As for where it will happen, I'd be surprised if it wasn't London.)

No explicit details on when new music will be released, but the album is indeed, as many have speculated, 100% done at this point. I'd put money on new music being released on the day of the secret show if not soon afterward.

extra context on Hallelujah Money: The song will be included on the album, but as a bonus track / epilogue / finale of sorts to the rest of the project. The rest of the album sounds completely different. He described it as “HOUSE”. It's extremely fast/uptempo compared to HM and previous Gorillaz work. Hallelujah Money was written last year as Albarn imagined the prospect of Donald Trump being elected and his subsequent inauguration. If you're one of those who hated the song or was disappointed in some way, I wouldn't let it dampen your hype too much with this info in mind.

northernmonkey
Posts: 334
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 08:59

Re: New Gorillaz album (2017)

Post by northernmonkey » 24 Feb 2017, 16:54

Well at least it sounds as if more news of a release is incoming. I'd imagine the rehersal gig will be a bit like the one I attended back in 2010 in Birmingham, great night indeed. Certainly hope HM is a bonus track, I could imagine it in that context, and fast and up tempo is good as long as Damon does his fair share on vocals. Would love more Blur instead if I had any choice in the matter, but this will do nicely for 2017!! :D

User avatar
Veikko
Site Admin
Posts: 748
Joined: 09 Nov 2011, 19:44
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: New Gorillaz album (2017)

Post by Veikko » 24 Feb 2017, 19:11

northernmonkey wrote:Certainly hope HM is a bonus track, I could imagine it in that context, and fast and up tempo is good as long as Damon does his fair share on vocals.
If the rest of the album is totally different, I think "Hallelujah Money" should have been released more quietly (perhaps anonymously on a white label like "Dirty Harry" or "Don't Bomb"). Now it gained over 5 million listens on Youtube and many people thought it was the first single / indication of the album's sound... :|

Anyway, I'm really looking forward for this uptempo material!

User avatar
101reykjavik
Posts: 5303
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 20:26
Location: Beautiful Somerset

Re: New Gorillaz album (2017)

Post by 101reykjavik » 24 Feb 2017, 19:36

northernmonkey wrote:Well at least it sounds as if more news of a release is incoming. I'd imagine the rehersal gig will be a bit like the one I attended back in 2010 in Birmingham, great night indeed. Certainly hope HM is a bonus track, I could imagine it in that context, and fast and up tempo is good as long as Damon does his fair share on vocals. Would love more Blur instead if I had any choice in the matter, but this will do nicely for 2017!! :D
Yes, the Bristol one was great too. No particular staging or 'show', a fairly simple run through the songs with guest vocals on a track of course. Though they did all have their sea-faring garb on, which was obviously all part of the PB phase. Perhaps Damon's new hat (if it has any relevance!) is part of whatever this phase is all about. :D

Anyway, it's great to hear something which seems to confirm it's all but finished. HOUSE you say, Damon? Interesting...
Image

User avatar
tom_cas1
Moderator
Posts: 7781
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:13

Re: New Gorillaz album (2017)

Post by tom_cas1 » 24 Feb 2017, 20:51

Why would Damon tell a random fan that Gorillaz will have a secret show in March? Lots of question marks here with a heavy smell of bullshit in the air. It would be fantastic, of course, but until it's officially announced I'm taking it with a pinch of salt.
Image
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

tender
Posts: 272
Joined: 20 Sep 2014, 16:40

Re: New Gorillaz album (2017)

Post by tender » 24 Feb 2017, 21:45

tom_cas1 wrote:Why would Damon tell a random fan that Gorillaz will have a secret show in March? Lots of question marks here with a heavy smell of bullshit in the air. It would be fantastic, of course, but until it's officially announced I'm taking it with a pinch of salt.

they are rehearsing after all , so it doesn´t seem like an assumption way off base, it´s taken quite sometime now ,so they can plan something quite epic, if they could do something an annoucmente as cool as the Foo Fighters just did would be great ( this is what FF did btw https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... are_btn_tw and they gig is being streamed )

User avatar
Forever Low Man
Posts: 2254
Joined: 12 Sep 2014, 16:47
Location: A million miles away, in your backyard
Contact:

Re: New Gorillaz album (2017)

Post by Forever Low Man » 24 Feb 2017, 22:06

Image
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

User avatar
tom_cas1
Moderator
Posts: 7781
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:13

Re: New Gorillaz album (2017)

Post by tom_cas1 » 25 Feb 2017, 18:16

tender wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:Why would Damon tell a random fan that Gorillaz will have a secret show in March? Lots of question marks here with a heavy smell of bullshit in the air. It would be fantastic, of course, but until it's officially announced I'm taking it with a pinch of salt.
they are rehearsing after all , so it doesn´t seem like an assumption way off base, it´s taken quite sometime now ,so they can plan something quite epic, if they could do something an annoucmente as cool as the Foo Fighters just did would be great ( this is what FF did btw https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... are_btn_tw and they gig is being streamed )
What the Foo Fighters did was excellent, it really was. Top band, top music, love it. I hope Gorillaz don't go down the secret gig route though because that's exactly what Blur did with The Magic Whip. And in regards to live shows I hope they revert to the Demon Days Live format of having each band member in shadow on stage. That really gave the band a mystery, which is great because I don't want to know who is in the band. Gorillaz lost that on the Plastic Beach Tour.
Image
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

northernmonkey
Posts: 334
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 08:59

Re: New Gorillaz album (2017)

Post by northernmonkey » 25 Feb 2017, 18:49

I'd rather have the DD format, 2010 shows were more like Blur gigs in style, entertaining but something was lot.

User avatar
bugman
Posts: 1001
Joined: 23 Sep 2014, 20:21

Re: New Gorillaz album (2017)

Post by bugman » 26 Feb 2017, 00:00

2010 for me was a perfect gig (maybe thats why i saw damon 2 meteres from me for the first time) and i still want a tour that way ( yeah yeah, 2005 gigs was also great)

User avatar
munch
Posts: 1208
Joined: 24 Sep 2014, 12:14

Re: New Gorillaz album (2017)

Post by munch » 26 Feb 2017, 01:32

i think they should do a world tour like before but with damon as a shadow again
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
Image
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

User avatar
MsMagicAmerica
Posts: 1607
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:33
Location: New Jersey,USA
Contact:

Re: New Gorillaz album (2017)

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 26 Feb 2017, 03:33

I was fortunate to see Gorillaz twice, once on the first Gorillaz tour where they where behind the screen and then the last Plastic Beach tour. While I like the mystery of who is in the band, I also like looking at the band and seeing their emotions on their faces. Plus, I like sneaking my camera in and taking photos/ I took a great one of Damon on the Plastic Beach tour which I have hanging on my bedroom wall. However, if I get shitty seats then it's pointless because the band will look like matchsticks and I'll just be looking at the screen anyways.

tender
Posts: 272
Joined: 20 Sep 2014, 16:40

Re: New Gorillaz album (2017)

Post by tender » 26 Feb 2017, 12:35

tom_cas1 wrote: I hope Gorillaz don't go down the secret gig route though because that's exactly what Blur did with The Magic Whip. And in regards to live shows I hope they revert to the Demon Days Live format of having each band member in shadow on stage. That really gave the band a mystery, which is great because I don't want to know who is in the band. Gorillaz lost that on the Plastic Beach Tour.
Maybe it won't be secret but seems likely that something live will happen .
Personally liked how it was during Plastic Beach but if they go back to screens the have to do it differently don't know how but just the same wouldn't do the trick , not sure what new technology they could use that would be cost effective for tour??? considering that last tour didn't make money they have to do it differently and they are likely missing all the festivals by the way it looks .

User avatar
tom_cas1
Moderator
Posts: 7781
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:13

Re: New Gorillaz album (2017)

Post by tom_cas1 » 26 Feb 2017, 14:23

For me the biggest appeal Gorillaz had was the audience/listeners not knowing who was in the band. That gave the band a certain mystery which was unique in music, especially including the cartoon aspect. Such a special idea which was well and truly lost from Plastic Beach onwards. Demon Days was really special when it came to that. All cartoon videos, a storyline in the videos, and then the live shows you could SEE people on stage but couldn't make them out. Absolutely incredible. Then Plastic Beach came along and Gorillaz turned into a standard band on tour and lost that mystery aspect that made them so special.
Image
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

davidsutter
Posts: 915
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 17:06
Location: Clarksville, IN
Contact:

Re: Gorillaz live shows 2017

Post by davidsutter » 26 Feb 2017, 21:00

If I went to see Gorillaz and Damon wasn't ever visible I don't think I'd like that.

Him being the entire reason I was there and all.

Post Reply