Alt-Blur

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

ricj

Re: Alt-Blur

Post by ricj » 03 Mar 2017, 18:59

At the time I thought Blur did almost become Gorillaz with TT.. Give or take a few songs, a large portion of the material on that album wouldn't be out of place on a Gorillaz album.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 03 Mar 2017, 22:00

I think there's some truth in that. Without Graham's yin to Damon's yang the band just became dominated by 2D really. ;)

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 05 Mar 2017, 03:44

Think Tank is a great album to ponder, like all of these in-flux albums it sort of will never be held up as a great record nor a forgotten gem but there's the sensation you're just a listen away from cracking it. There are some good examples of other records which have that feeling; you listen to them for a week solid and then don't touch it again for another few months. It's rewarding but there's almost no real reward at the end.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 05 Mar 2017, 04:42

Yeah..... you can still sense Graham's influence on "Some Glad Morning", "Morricone", "the Outsider", and obviously "Battery In Your Leg" preventing them from even remotely resembling a Gorillaz song!

ricj

Post by ricj » 05 Mar 2017, 09:06

I'll never really see TT as a Blur album but I still love it for the most part. I've been listening to it a lot lately and i''m even starting to like Gene by Gene which up until now i'd only listened to literally about 3 and a half times since 2003.

I have been considering editing my own version of Jets without the f***king free jazz sax solo though.. Possibly the most inexplicable and ill conceived idea in recording history...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 05 Mar 2017, 09:37

The irony regarding "TT"..... True, it was the most Gorillaz flavored Blur album, but it actually captured Alex and Dave both at their respective absolute best! I know they both had to compensate for Graham's absence and Damon's minimal guitar-playing, Alex's bass really punctuated through and Dave's drums were more propulsive. "Ambulance" and "On the Way to the Club" both demonstrated that quite a bit especially....Both those songs sounded so much better live though!

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 06 Mar 2017, 00:14

"Ambulance" would sound so epic if they played it live with Graham, I'd like to believe... Maybe in 2030 or something tour it will be brought back like "Caravan"
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 06 Mar 2017, 01:49

Consigliere_11 wrote:"Ambulance" would sound so epic if they played it live with Graham, I'd like to believe... Maybe in 2030 or something tour it will be brought back like "Caravan"

I was hoping "Ambulance" would have been considered before... Even "WGAFOY"...... Maybe also "OTWTTC".....

Am I the only one that loves "Money Makes Me Crazy"? Such an underrated track and I also would love for that to be played live!

munch

Post by munch » 06 Mar 2017, 05:08

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Yeah..... you can still sense Graham's influence on "Some Glad Morning", "Morricone", "the Outsider", and obviously "Battery In Your Leg" preventing them from even remotely resembling a Gorillaz song!
While Think Tank is lacking that coxon Blurness, you can't play down how unique Dave and Alex are. Think Tank really does not sound like gorillaz to me , sounds like BLurh

edit: money makes me crazy is the best
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 06 Mar 2017, 07:14

munch wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Yeah..... you can still sense Graham's influence on "Some Glad Morning", "Morricone", "the Outsider", and obviously "Battery In Your Leg" preventing them from even remotely resembling a Gorillaz song!
While Think Tank is lacking that coxon Blurness, you can't play down how unique Dave and Alex are. Think Tank really does not sound like gorillaz to me , sounds like BLurh

edit: money makes me crazy is the best

Oh.....I mentioned earlier in this thread that Alex and Dave were both at their best on "TT", but I feel Graham would have kept Damon in check from some excess. The only reason "TT" doesn't completely sound like the Gorillaz is due to not having collaborations from other artists, but the song structures and how the instruments are produced resemble the Gorillaz......Also, Graham's harmonies and overall vocals were distinctly absent which is definitely an essential ingredient to any complete Blur song and one that is frequently overlooked.

Jason

Post by Jason » 07 Mar 2017, 04:40

I think Damon would have made the same demos but they'd have been finished by the rest of the band.

I think Music is my Radar is a good indication of what it would've sounded like. And imo it's SIGNIFICANTLY more developed musically than the first Gorillaz album.

Something else I've noticed is that it seems like sometimes Damon uses rappers to replace Graham's guitars in a way. Damon uses rappers to contrast with his super catchy melodic bits. Feel Good Inc. is the easiest example of this, where imo you could replace the rapper part with a Graham guitar freakout for the same effect. Rough and unexpected and with some teeth, but still ultimately musical and having good flow.

I do think that Think Tank sounds like Blur, even though being so far after the previous album and not having Graham it's not quite the same. But I also think you could easily put the Think Tanks songs onto Demon Days, and most of the Demon Days songs could go on Think Tank. idk I guess it's not hard for me to imagine Blur how blur would handle the same songs.

I think the main difference between Think Tank and Demon Days is that they sound like how they were made. One sounds like Damon demos that have been produced into full songs with guests artists providing bits. The other sounds like Damon demos that have been developed into full songs by a very talented band who're very good at playing together. The Gorillaz approach/sound does have its appeal but imo the songs would have turned out better with Blur.

I was in middle school and high school when those big Gorillaz singles were coming out, and I liked hearing them, but it wasn't the type of music that I'd buy at the time. iirc Weezer tangentally lead to Blur (Matt Sharp playing with Damon), tangentally lead to Oasis (Rivers was obsessed with Oasis) which also lead to Blur. But I mainly got into Blur from a 90s American alternative rock angle, and picked up the S/T almost blindly while on family vacation to Toronto (or Niagra Falls?) my senior year, knowing only that the band existed, and Song 2. The album was too difficult for me other than the obvious songs (isn't this supposed to be the accessible american friendly one??), but somehow I got 13 anyway and that was also too difficult for me, and I didn't really listen to either. In college I got into 13 from a shoegaze perspective iirc. After college a friend gave me a compilation album with a bunch of 90s britpop and after a little repeated listening, britpop Blur finally clicked and everything came together and I completed Blur's discography quickly thereafter. I moved onto Gorillaz after running out of Blur.

But even today, Gorillaz is a Blur sideproject. The first album is also that cartoon band from middle school and Demon Days is also that album that snobby artsy kids listened to (along with Radiohead, etc.) on their macs with their over ear monitors. :roll:

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 10 Mar 2017, 03:42

think tank has some of blur's best and worst songs. one of its b-sides ("morricone") sits pretty nicely in my blur top 10, as well as a track on think tank that sits at #1.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

ricj

Post by ricj » 13 Mar 2017, 09:31

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
Consigliere_11 wrote:"Ambulance" would sound so epic if they played it live with Graham, I'd like to believe... Maybe in 2030 or something tour it will be brought back like "Caravan"

I was hoping "Ambulance" would have been considered before... Even "WGAFOY"...... Maybe also "OTWTTC".....

Am I the only one that loves "Money Makes Me Crazy"? Such an underrated track and I also would love for that to be played live!
Money Makes me Crazy is my favourite TT era B side although I think it's quite a throwaway track and it took me a while to get over the similarity between part of its melody and that godawful song by that godawful band The Mavericks... I've always been intrigued to know if there are any other 'mix's' out there too since it's titled 'Marakech Mix'.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 13 Mar 2017, 13:36

[/"ricj]

Money Makes me Crazy is my favourite TT era B side although I think it's quite a throwaway track and it took me a while to get over the similarity between part of its melody and that godawful song by that godawful band The Mavericks... I've always been intrigued to know if there are any other 'mix's' out there too since it's titled 'Marakech Mix'.

I've often wondered about the "Marrakech mix" angle myself....Is there any documentation that another version was recorded? Could it have been "2" as part of the Laswell sessions? Probably not, but that mystery I hope can be somehow resolved. I might email Laswell again to see if he has any records kept.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 13 Mar 2017, 23:46

there's a mix called the "deepest darkest devon" mix or something. i remember not liking it.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners