Alt-Blur

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

munch

Alt-Blur

Post by munch » 18 Feb 2017, 05:43

Alright, he's a weird thought. I know a lot of you will be like 'I'm happy the way it went. It's all perfect and I would not change a thing!' And I would agree with you... but let's just say... Graham didn't leave and Gorillaz did not happen. What might Blur sound like now?

I'm not exactly sure where to cut the history line off... just after 13? self titled? As Blur progressed they were exploring so many different sounds and genres, lyrically and musically. We heard all this brass and strings and then later on some electronic stuff.... (I'm not a musician). And to me it sounded like Graham was constantly exploring what magic he could create with just a guitar.
Because of this constant development and change in sound album after album, do you think Blur would have begun introducing hip hop and guest rappers like Gorillaz? Or try tracks like Latin Simone or go full electronic like the Plastic Beach album?

Graham has tried loads of different sounds on his solos, including guest vocalists aswell.... Blur tracks like Yuko and Hiro,To the End, Ernold Same and PARKLIFE did this too... but would something like De La Soul be too much for Blur?
Has Gorillaz ( and even some of Damon's other stuff like Africa Express and Musicals) blocked off a musical area of exploration for Blur... ?

Of course, without the 'drift apart' we would not have magnificent albums like Think Tank and The Magic Whip. Think Tank trying out SUCH a different sound. The Magic Whip is interesting, because while the band are giving us a new mature sound, it still sounds a bit restricted.

I suppose the question is , as Blur fans, could Blur be more like Gorillaz (but obviously better because it's Blur lols) or is their seperation best for us, is THAT exploration of sounds just too far for our blur love and blur ears. EVEN THOUGH we have enjoyed so many different styles from Blur anyway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guXW_RxMHmg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^ That's Icecream Man. good song.

edit: Really creepy. As soon as i pressed Submit on this post a icecream van played its song outside my house
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

Pavlich

Re: Alt-Blur

Post by Pavlich » 19 Feb 2017, 10:56

With some of the reading I've been doing about CERN and The Mandela Effect, this alternate universe is probably a thing.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 20 Feb 2017, 20:27

Ah, perhaps a multi-verse, Pavlich...

• Blur never stopped and became Gorillaz 'plus'
• Blur never stopped and became a heritage act doing the circuits
• Blur broke up and never reformed
• Blur never formed because Two's A Crowd took off big time
• Damon decided he was a great actor in 1985 and ended up performing nightly in musical theatre
• Graham became an artist
• Alex got stuck in a toilet cubicle in the Groucho Club for two years in the mid-90s and the band gave up
• Dave invented a new computer programming language called 'Windaves' and became head of the world's second largest software firm

All of this, somewhere, is probably not happening.

munch

Post by munch » 21 Feb 2017, 15:20

101reykjavik wrote: • Damon decided he was a great actor in 1985 and ended up performing nightly in musical theatre
The scariest of them all :shock:
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 22 Feb 2017, 07:46

I suspect that Damon would have introduced 'Gorillaz-type' ideas into Blur. Though this would risk alienating the passive fans, who wouldn't recognise it as Blur. They would be looking for more 'Parklife'.

To do such radical new sounds, it was best to do it as a new act. The audience finding out that Damon was involved could then be a bonus.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 22 Feb 2017, 07:51

Here's an interesting question...... How many of you wouldn't have discovered and appreciated Blur if the Gorillaz never existed?

munch

Post by munch » 22 Feb 2017, 14:28

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Here's an interesting question...... How many of you wouldn't have discovered and appreciated Blur if the Gorillaz never existed?
I discovered Blur first and bought Gorillaz because because It was popular and I liked animation :D It took ages for me to work out it was connected. I remember listening really closely for bits that sounded like Damon from Blur. Eventually I looked in the booklet and was blown away by it being the same name.
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 22 Feb 2017, 21:54

munch wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Here's an interesting question...... How many of you wouldn't have discovered and appreciated Blur if the Gorillaz never existed?
I discovered Blur first and bought Gorillaz because because It was popular and I liked animation :D It took ages for me to work out it was connected. I remember listening really closely for bits that sounded like Damon from Blur. Eventually I looked in the booklet and was blown away by it being the same name.

Wow...that's the total opposite than most. I love especially reading youtube comments when someone comments on a Blur video, oh that's "2-D" on vocals.. so hilarious! haha :lol:

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 22 Feb 2017, 23:02

It is amusing when people view Blur down the wrong end of the telescope and think 2D is Blur or whatever. But I'm sure we're all cool with that, it's understandable if you didn't grow up with Blur! I know I used to have some stupid assumptions about 60s bands or music when I was a teenager - stuff I knew I liked but hadn't connected the dots on. I'm just an old git so Gorillaz was always 'Damon's side project'. (A bloody ace side project, I might add, but you know what I mean).

anothermario

Post by anothermario » 23 Feb 2017, 00:55

me! if the 19-2000 soulchild remix in particular never existed

(FIFA 2002 soundtrack)
I can't wear that, stupid rain hat

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Feb 2017, 19:00

101reykjavik wrote:It is amusing when people view Blur down the wrong end of the telescope and think 2D is Blur or whatever. But I'm sure we're all cool with that, it's understandable if you didn't grow up with Blur! I know I used to have some stupid assumptions about 60s bands or music when I was a teenager - stuff I knew I liked but hadn't connected the dots on. I'm just an old git so Gorillaz was always 'Damon's side project'. (A bloody ace side project, I might add, but you know what I mean).

Oh, I'm too embarrassed to admit this, but this also applies to me with another famous musician who was in one of my fave bands and was also solid in his solo career. But, when I was around the mere age of 3, I was listening to both the Beatles and Paul right around when "McCartney II" first was released. I thought at the time that the Beatles were a new band and took me a little while to later to grasp that Paul was a member of the Beatles all those years ago and since embarked on that solo career! :lol:
anothermario wrote:

(FIFA 2002 soundtrack)
That's awesome you discovered Blur in that manner and have remained a faithful fan of theirs since!

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 23 Feb 2017, 21:56

You were three? I'll let you off. :lol:

I've got something more embarrassing. I thought this WAS Paul McCartney in 1988: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-MmzB-tnQE In my own defence, it's a total rip off. Sorry, going wildly off topic, Munch. :oops:

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 24 Feb 2017, 12:58

101reykjavik wrote:You were three? I'll let you off. :lol:

I've got something more embarrassing. I thought this WAS Paul McCartney in 1988: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-MmzB-tnQE In my own defence, it's a total rip off. Sorry, going wildly off topic, Munch. :oops:

First, that clip you shared doesn't work here in the States, but I will try to find it elsewhere.

Yeah, I started listening to music ever since I can remember and the Beatles immediately became an all-time fave. Primarily, I listened to the "Blue" and "Red" covered albums back then and then we owned the "Live At Glasglow" version of "Coming Up" and I played that constantly on my Fischer Price toy record player.

Going back on topic..... In an Alt-Blur universe, Damon would have already collaborated w/Paul by now! Imagine a "Check My Machine" sequel?

munch

Post by munch » 26 Feb 2017, 01:50

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
101reykjavik wrote:It is amusing when people view Blur down the wrong end of the telescope and think 2D is Blur or whatever. But I'm sure we're all cool with that, it's understandable if you didn't grow up with Blur! I know I used to have some stupid assumptions about 60s bands or music when I was a teenager - stuff I knew I liked but hadn't connected the dots on. I'm just an old git so Gorillaz was always 'Damon's side project'. (A bloody ace side project, I might add, but you know what I mean).

Oh, I'm too embarrassed to admit this, but this also applies to me with another famous musician who was in one of my fave bands and was also solid in his solo career. But, when I was around the mere age of 3, I was listening to both the Beatles and Paul right around when "McCartney II" first was released. I thought at the time that the Beatles were a new band and took me a little while to later to grasp that Paul was a member of the Beatles all those years ago and since embarked on that solo career! :lol:
anothermario wrote:

(FIFA 2002 soundtrack)
That's awesome you discovered Blur in that manner and have remained a faithful fan of theirs since!
that's great!
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 01 Mar 2017, 06:44

Interesting points about discovering e.g. Blur via the Gorillaz, or The Beatles via Paul McCartney.

This is not unusual - people get into the music at the time that they do, and the music in front of them is current.

I remember being taken aback by the early Bee Gees and Status Quo records from the 60s. I knew these artists as they were current in the late 70s, and didn't know they had an ancient history with more primitive sounds :mrgreen:

Regarding Gorillaz, 'Clint Eastwood' got into my consciousness via radio airplay, then it emerged it was Damon.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."