Thoughts on the self titled album

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

TracyJosh

Thoughts on the self titled album

Post by TracyJosh » 06 Jan 2017, 00:19

What's everyone's thoughts on 'Blur'? From the scanning I've done on this forum(though still a relative newcomer) it doesn't seem to get nearly as much attention as any of the other albums.

Personally I find it a very intriguing album and like how it was largely written and recorded in Iceland, but I have always thought it is quite disjointed. Country sad..., Strange News, Death of a party and Movin' on are among my all time favourite Blur tunes, but the rest seems a bit muddled. I'm just a killer for your love seems particularly throw away. Nice lyric, but doesn't go anywhere. And it sounds like someone's left the tape running whilst Flea hijacked the studio with a wah wah pedal. It also features my least favourite Blur singles MOR and On your own, though I'm warming to On your own a bit.

Thoughts?

metalhipslop

Re: Thoughts on the self titled album

Post by metalhipslop » 06 Jan 2017, 00:55

great album, probably could be better than 13... great mix of experimental blur and bripop blur...

And i'm just a killer for your love is amazing. i'll never understand the negativity around it. i'd rather listen to that than parklife or girls and boys. for once there was atrack where blur did everything, and I love the bassline, which graham did , and I'll never understand how they got those effects. it's such a great track, one of my favorites.
whataver. when blur does strange songs, their fans don' get it, cuz their a pop band with pop fans. I get it.
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 06 Jan 2017, 01:35

The self titled is constantly fighting for the #1 spot on my favorite blur albums list. I can't think of a song I don't like. M.O.R. might be my least fav, but I still enjoy it. And I LOVE On Your Own. I always feel that it's underrated.

My favorites would probably have to be Beetlebum, You're So Great, and Essex Dogs. Maybe Country Sad as well. Beetlebum is just one of the finest songs I have ever heard, period. You're So Great I love because of how raw and emotional it is. I can HEAR the sorrow in Graham's guitar solo, in a way that I've never heard before. It sounds like it is hoarsely crying. Chillingly beautiful, to me anyway. And Essex Dogs is just an intense, gritty song that really helps me clear my brain a bit when I'm trudging through muddy thoughts. Damon's reflections on Essex are so dark and captivating, and they make me reflect my own city, while Graham, Alex, and Dave create the perfect atmosphere for me to think to for 9 minutes. Especially with Graham's guitar effects, like the very gritty, gutty, engine-y sound he achieves throughout.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 06 Jan 2017, 12:38

Love it. Brilliant album. In their glittering back catalogue it's up against stiff competition for my number one though and it isn't quite there for me. 13 and MLIR vie for that. It's a very close third though.

S/T will forever remind me of working on my final third year university project in '97. On pretty much constant rotation during that period.

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 06 Jan 2017, 13:30

metalhipslop wrote: whataver. when blur does strange songs, their fans don' get it, cuz their a pop band with pop fans. I get it.
Haha I can assure you I appreciate the more experimental aspects of Blur. 13 is probably my favourite(though always changes). The only songs on S/T I outright don't like are M.O.R and Just a killer... Even the latter I can happily listen to, but if just doesn't do a lot for me. I'd go as far as saying Dancehall, the hidden track, has more to it. My main criticism was purely the structure of the album as a whole. Just chops and changes a lot for one sitting.

And yes, Beetlebum is one of the most perfect songs ever written. I remember reading a review saying how it goes through the whole of The Beatles White Album picking out the best bits and condenses it into a 4 minute pop song. Couldn't have put it better myself.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 06 Jan 2017, 17:35

It's always in my top 3 somewhere, how can you not love an album that has songs such as Beetlebum, Song 2, Country Sad ballad Man, Strange News.. etc on it, but I don't think it has a natural flow as much as some of their other albums, but I think this is due to its experimental side, I think 13 flows better as an album. I remember listening to it on its release date back in early 1997 thinking, what the hell have they done. :lol:

Vern

Post by Vern » 06 Jan 2017, 19:12

Look Inside America (Overnite) > Look Inside America

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 08 Jan 2017, 06:07

Meh...I don't like it as much because it generally lacks the fun of the older albums.

Actually, IJAKFYL is my favorite song from that album. The guitar playing is awesome. Fun fact: it was going to be a b-side and was added to the album at the last moment.

Moritz

Post by Moritz » 08 Jan 2017, 11:43

It's still one of my favourite Blur album's and propablythe the first one I ever had. The rawness and mix of different styles, like melancholic acoustic songs (Contry Sad Ballad Man, Look Inside America) and rock tunes (Song 2, Chinese Bombs, M.O.R.), is great. The whole album is a bit similar to Modern Life Is Rubbish, because there is a lot of change and mixture in the style of music. The setlists and recordings from the 1997 tour are also great, "Blur" is/was a great live album.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 08 Jan 2017, 18:23

Brilliant album and a Country "House" Mile better than the knob twiddling Orbitfest "13"

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 08 Jan 2017, 20:35

For me it falls just below 13 and MLIR on my "favourite Blur albums" list, although it's close. Superb album! I think it's also worth mentioning the incredible b-sides as well, in fact I'd go as far as saying Polished Stone and All Your Life should have made the album and On Your Own and You're So Great should have been b-sides.

*runs for cover*
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

bugman

Post by bugman » 08 Jan 2017, 21:16

tom_cas1 wrote:For me it falls just below 13 and MLIR on my "favourite Blur albums" list, although it's close. Superb album! I think it's also worth mentioning the incredible b-sides as well, in fact I'd go as far as saying Polished Stone and All Your Life should have made the album and On Your Own and You're So Great should have been b-sides.

*runs for cover*
exactly ;]

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 08 Jan 2017, 23:27

On Your Own, I might agree with you there Tom. You're So Great though? Nah! :P

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 08 Jan 2017, 23:30

Sledge Hammer wrote:Brilliant album and a Country "House" Mile better than the knob twiddling Orbitfest "13"
Gotta say, my only criticism of 13 is Orbits production. The production on S/T is much more organic and although there's a change in style, all the individual qualities of each member still shine through, so I'd definitely say it has that one over 13, but as a collection of songs that flow well together as an overall journey, 13 suits my tastes better ;).

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 09 Jan 2017, 03:59

ya I totally agree with Tom. some of those b-sides could of definitely fit the album. For me On Your Own and MOR ruin the album. THey aren't bad songs, but! All Your Life and Polished stoned are such better songs. aaah what a shame. Blur were so smart but weren't at the same time, if you know what I mean
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.