A thread for those disappointed by The Magic Whip

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

TripleJay97

Re: A thread for those disappointed by The Magic Whip

Post by TripleJay97 » 15 Jul 2016, 09:40

MLIR
TMW
Blur
Parklife
The Great Escape
Leisure
Think Tank

bugman

Post by bugman » 15 Jul 2016, 14:36

Blur
TMW
TT
Parklife
Modern
The
Leisure

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 16 Jul 2016, 04:19

Neal Zeal wrote: It was an album with lots of quite good songs but nothing came close to greatness.

It's not an awful album - just a so-so one. One to have on in the background.
Yes, I agree with this assessment. TMW didn't grab me the way that e.g. MLIR or Parklife did when they first came out.

Does a younger person who has come to Blur retrospectively view a new release as more exciting than an original fan does?
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 17 Jul 2016, 05:28

MLIR
Self-Titled
TMW
Parklife
TGE
Think Tank
Leisure

keep in mind the top two there are both tens and leisure is maybe a seven so i'm not saying anything's really bad

Danilo

Post by Danilo » 18 Jul 2016, 14:07

The Great Scape
Parklife
The Magic Whip
Modern Life is Rubbish
Blur
Think Tank
Leisure

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 18 Jul 2016, 15:57

I loe how this thread has turned into a "rank your Blur albums" thread. :lol:
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 18 Jul 2016, 18:57

tom_cas1 wrote:I loe how this thread has turned into a "rank your Blur albums" thread. :lol:
Yes, and perhaps even more amusingly, it's turned into a thread for people who think TMW is one of the best things Blur have ever done!

TristramShandy

Post by TristramShandy » 18 Jul 2016, 19:47

1) 13
2) Blur
3) The Magic Whip
4) Modern Life Is Rubbish
5) Parklife
6) Think Tank
7) Leisure

The Great Escape is out of competition. Fair album, but I always thought there was a literary side to it, I would feel like ranking a book amongst CDs... :)

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 18 Jul 2016, 21:07

tom_cas1 wrote:I loe how this thread has turned into a "rank your Blur albums" thread. :lol:
Sorry, my fault. :lol:

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 19 Jul 2016, 06:06

still think its awful, may be a 3/10 album at best. still think Indy Cindy was at least twice as good if not more
none of the songs in isolation stand up to their best work, and the album as a whole is a disjointed mess
a worse album than the great escape in my opinion, maybe the lows arent quite so low (other than ong ong), but the highs are nowhere to be found. where as the great escape has a good 6 or 7 songs that i love.
i have tried at different times to give the album a re-listen, but it does absolutely nothing for me.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 21 Jul 2016, 07:14

elasticaman wrote:maybe the lows aren't quite so low, but the highs are nowhere to be found.
Yes, I agree.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

anothermario

Post by anothermario » 21 Jul 2016, 10:03

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
elasticaman wrote:maybe the lows aren't quite so low, but the highs are nowhere to be found.
Yes, I agree.
Go Out? Pyongyang? :/
I can't wear that, stupid rain hat

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 21 Jul 2016, 11:10

anothermario wrote:
Mallard No. 22 wrote:
Yes, I agree.
Go Out? Pyongyang? :/
Ghost Ship, Thought I Was A Spaceman, Ice Cream Man, Go Out...could just list the entire track listing, would save us some time!

I mean I understand if people don't like it COMPARED to previous albums, but saying it's awful with "highs nowhere to be found" is a downright ridiculous.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 21 Jul 2016, 20:22

Agreed about not understanding folk who think the album is awful. There are going to be many views in comparison to their other albums, but to say it is awful is hard to believe. The album was very well received by the music press too, so it's not as if those who like/love it are fans who won't say a bad thing against a duff album because it is Blur. But each to their own I guess...

3d

Post by 3d » 21 Jul 2016, 21:08

i find it difficult to place really... actually i don't even try to compare it to any of the other albums.. some really good songs on there, the fact we're spoilt with such a back catalogue is enough to give you a headache trying to organize the previous albums.. probably 4 of them could be their "best" album before even thinking about tmw... all these albums have had years to come in and out our lives..

i enjoy tmw.. i was living in China when it came out so it will always have a special significance for me.. i've said many times, but i honestly feel Pyongyang is up there with their best ever songs.. ong ong is cute as they come..

i think graham said he didn't want to put his graham coxoness all over it and while i appreciate his intentions perhaps a few grating guitars and lo-fi moments are what people are missing from some classic blur(go out aside)?

tiwas & my terracotta heart.. experimental & touching..

ghost ship's nice & funky.. mirrorball.. doesn't seem like an obvious climax but i do feel it's rather beautiful..

they obviously still have it, a great gift for music.. hope for more in future 0.=