Happiest Blur Song

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

dparrott

Re: Happiest Blur Song

Post by dparrott » 20 Feb 2016, 16:39

Parklife, Star Shaped, Magpie!, OBEM, Explain, G&B, Country House, ICBY, so many happy songs. Oh how I love this band!

anothermario

Post by anothermario » 20 Feb 2016, 23:53

UnderThePuritan wrote:Oddly enough, Bad Day has always struck me as a happy sounding song with those giddy guitars and melodica!
That's the first song that came to mind when I saw this topic 8-)
I can't wear that, stupid rain hat

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 21 Feb 2016, 01:58

I forgot the Puritan. Best song of the pre-TMW comeback records! Uplifting stuff for sure.

Vorsprung

Post by Vorsprung » 21 Feb 2016, 12:44

I LOVE the responses all of you have contributed!! All excellent choices thus far...

My thoughts on your thoughts:

Ong, Ong - could it be that the greatest Blur fans in the world (this site) have it right? The most recent Blur song being the most happy? Look no further than the 16-bit video game it was made into and the band dressing up as characters and you'll have your answer. I also agree with the idea that The Magic Whip is overall a "happy" Blur album. Wasn't it around this time last year (right before spring) that the album was announced?

The Puritan - late contender for the crown. The song exudes happy, but I always heard it as happy in a criticism of human ignorance and indulgence. Damon sees our world getting progressively dumber and dumber. The Puritan makes me happy in the same was Country House makes me happy - I think they are in the same vein.

People in Europe and Magpie - oddly from the same B-side right? fine choices. Why not throw Peter Panic in the conversation to?

Modern Life Era: One Born Every Minute, Star Shaped, Cows, Villa Rosie - all fantastic choices.

Sunday, Sunday - I don't know how many of you what I'd call a Blur "ritual" song, but Sunday, Sunday is played most sunday mornings in my home. And my three young children all know to jog around through the living room, family room, dining room and kitchen in progressively quicker circles mimicking Damon's jogging during Graham's progressively maddening solo. Sunday, Sunday is exactly what is entails: football, the paper, a bit of spirituality, tidy clothes, a healthy dose of protein and a nap mixed in somewhere.

Parklife goes without saying. What about End of a Century?

I think one thing your responses have illuminated and reinforced is the amazing extremity of emotions Blur have in their music. We love the happy, the tremendously sad, poignant and frantic.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » 22 Feb 2016, 16:33

tom_cas1 wrote:Has to be Ong Ong.
Agreed, a bit of a no brainer, really.

That said, the chorus of On Your Own is the one that gets me immitating that dance and always puts a smile on my face.
☰ ☱ ☲ ☳ ☴ ☵ ☶ ☷

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 22 Feb 2016, 19:29

MsMagicAmerica wrote:Sunday Sunday as well
True, I'm always very happy when it ends. :P
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 22 Feb 2016, 21:42

MsMagicAmerica wrote:Sunday Sunday as well
I think Sunday Sunday was one of My first blur purchase way back in '93. And that makes me smile for the memories. A rather Happy Video too!
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 22 Feb 2016, 22:10

I love both versions of Sunday Sunday. The album version is obviously fantastic, but the version that was on the box set is the one I like the most.

Mrbriggs

Post by Mrbriggs » 23 Feb 2016, 02:05

off the top of my head I'd say Ong Ong is the happiest.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 23 Feb 2016, 15:30

MsMagicAmerica wrote:I love both versions of Sunday Sunday. The album version is obviously fantastic, but the version that was on the box set is the one I like the most.
I much prefer the live version, hearing it in Hyde Park in 2009 was incredible. Studio...not so much.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 23 Feb 2016, 19:08

Every song which includes "La La La La La La La" is a happy song, isn't it? :D

bugman

Post by bugman » 23 Feb 2016, 21:10

JAIME wrote:Every song which includes "La La La La La La La" is a happy song, isn't it? :D
really ? CARAVAN ?one of the saddest blur song ever

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 23 Feb 2016, 21:40

bugman wrote:
JAIME wrote:Every song which includes "La La La La La La La" is a happy song, isn't it? :D
Well, the exception proves the rule :mrgreen:

murfman04

Post by murfman04 » 26 Feb 2016, 13:07

JAIME wrote:
bugman wrote:
Well, the exception proves the rule :mrgreen:
He Thought Of Cars, although the bassline makes me happy :)

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 04 Mar 2016, 08:28

Country House - a singalong song that represents a great time for Blur and UK music.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."