How would you improve Crazy Beat?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Foggy

Re: How would you improve Crazy Beat?

Post by Foggy » 17 Jan 2016, 13:58

I think they ought to treat Crazy Beat like the HK sessions that eventually became The Magic Whip. Let Graham and Streety take it away to meddle with for a day or two and they'd come back with a diamond.

Seriously though I don't seem to hate it nearly as much as everybody else seems to.
☰ ☱ ☲ ☳ ☴ ☵ ☶ ☷

JackS

Post by JackS » 18 Jan 2016, 10:14

101reykjavik wrote:
AdvertBreak wrote:So how would you improve Think Tank in that respect? If CB wasn't on it, then what song would take its place?
The thing is, TT is 13 tracks so you could easily just ditch it and still have a perfectly acceptable 12 track album, so I probably wouldn't replace it with anything.
Very good point, but there are some excellent TT b-sides.

The Outsider, for example, with some lyric tweaking could have been a hit imo

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 18 Jan 2016, 12:24

Would probably replace with either So You or Don't Be, there were some very good b-sides from TT, Morricone was also a great song. That said, removing CB and replacing with one of the afore-mentioned would have meant the album didn't have as much contrast and become a little more one-paced, something that I'm sure they would have been very aware of and wouldn't have wanted to be seen as less innovative/varied without GC's input. Would also have made the hidden track (with Phil Daniels, the name of which escapes me right now) far more prominent too.

As mentioned above, the real issue for me with CB is that it sounds like a band trying to re-write Song 2. The DD vocals sound gimmicky and the "yeah yeah yeah yeah yeahs" sound very forced.

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 18 Jan 2016, 17:47

I dig it, it's a straight up rockin tune, albeit silly. The first half would be too sleepy without it imo. And Damon lacks energy on this but not the rest of the album? Really??? This is one of 3 TT songs where he HAS energy!

And that's a good point about it being a wannabe Song 2.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 18 Jan 2016, 17:57

Of course, if The Clash had put this song out 20 years earlier, no one would hate it.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 18 Jan 2016, 19:54

I like Crazy Beat.

In terms of songs to replace it, nah. Gene By Gene though is a different story. I'd replace that with Some Glad Morning.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 18 Jan 2016, 21:27

AdvertBreak wrote:Of course, if The Clash had put this song out 20 years earlier, no one would hate it.
Are you looking for a fight, young man?

Now this is what I'd do: Me, White Noise becomes the album's 3rd track, Some Glad Morning becomes the album's hidden track, Damon saves Crazy Beat for a Demon Days b-side or whatever.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 18 Jan 2016, 21:53

Me, White Noise would have been horrible on Think Tank. Glad it's a hidden track.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 18 Jan 2016, 21:57

Lt Pinkerton wrote:
AdvertBreak wrote:Of course, if The Clash had put this song out 20 years earlier, no one would hate it.
Haha. I can't see it any other way though.

It would be one of Mick's obviously. Proto-B.A.D. (great band).

IMO

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 18 Jan 2016, 22:17

AdvertBreak wrote:
Lt Pinkerton wrote:
Haha. I can't see it any other way though.

It would be one of Mick's obviously. Proto-B.A.D. (great band).

IMO
It'd work perfectly on Cut The Crap as well.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 18 Jan 2016, 22:42

tom_cas1 wrote:Me, White Noise would have been horrible on Think Tank. Glad it's a hidden track.
True. Any of the versions are too artsy and experimental for a wide release.

I like Gene by Gene - it is so silly it makes me happier, which a rare feeling on the record. Especially compared with the track as sad as the following"Battery in Your Leg" is.
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 18 Jan 2016, 23:08

At least half of the songs on Cut the Crap aren't bad, its the production that kills each and every song except This is England where it works in its favour.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 18 Jan 2016, 23:25

AdvertBreak wrote:At least half of the songs on Cut the Crap aren't bad, its the production that kills each and every song except This is England where it works in its favour.
The time has come, start a Clash thread.