BRIT Awards 2016: BLUR nominated as Best British Band

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Jensen

Re: BRIT Awards 2016: BLUR nominated as Best British Band

Post by Jensen » 24 Feb 2016, 22:42

I saw Graham a couple times! :D

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 24 Feb 2016, 22:46

AdvertBreak wrote:The only member I think they showed was Alex, after Chris mentioned them in their speech. I might be wrong though.
Graham was there during Annie Lennox´s spech.

Agree 100% with Mark 72 - decent tribute to Bowie, without any meaningless "supergroup", with or without Damon (or Bono...)

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 24 Feb 2016, 23:06

Yeah it was a better tribute than a super group would have been.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 24 Feb 2016, 23:07

vitekm wrote:with or without Damon (or Bono...)
Nice U2 pun ;)
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 24 Feb 2016, 23:27

I was out tonight so didn't have the dubious pleasure of an evening in front of the TV with the Brits. Anything interesting happen? I guess not... Not at all surprised about Blur losing out. Entirely expected. Coldplay leave me cold, ha. Their first two albums were enjoyable enough at the time, but they just seem to have become more and more pop mainstream (though were never edgy of course). The Bowie tribute sounds like the highlight.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 24 Feb 2016, 23:42

101reykjavik wrote:I was out tonight so didn't have the dubious pleasure of an evening in front of the TV with the Brits. Anything interesting happen? I guess not... Not at all surprised about Blur losing out. Entirely expected. Coldplay leave me cold, ha. Their first two albums were enjoyable enough at the time, but they just seem to have become more and more pop mainstream (though were never edgy of course). The Bowie tribute sounds like the highlight.
There were a few quirks. Tame Impala won Best International Band, yay! Bjork won Best International Female, yay! Besides that no good winners as I recall.

As for incidents, they cocked up the censoring at one point so we heard Adele say "fucking". Adele almost fell over, almost ;) . There was about 10 people in the background waving and smiling and looking like idiots at the camera, each time when Ant and Dec were presenting and speaking, including a girl who went in between them and then started dancing in front of them whilst they were trying to announce one of the awards lol. Everyone else in the background was in their own conversations, so no one looked or listened to Ant and Dec all night, poor guys. To be fair A&D, who seemed to be standing near the exit a lot, were a bit cringey at times, but not as bad as the acts. Lorde was the only tolerable thing and that's only because she was singing a song (Life on Mars?) that put every other song performed there to shame. Particularly awful were Justin Bieber with James Bay, Rihanna (who I thought was supposed to be arty now, apparently not though) and The Weeknd. Boooring.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 24 Feb 2016, 23:49

Justin Bieber with James Bay? *Shiver* A performance to miss, to be sure.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 24 Feb 2016, 23:52

James Bay was only in the first few minutes, but obviously it was shit throughout. James Bay beat Aphex Twin to Best British Male. That's annoying, not because Aphex Twin was head and shoulders the best nominee, but because his "acceptance speech" (or maybe lack thereof, and instead maybe some screeching sound playing from the PA or something) I'm sure would have been the best Brits moment in years.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 25 Feb 2016, 08:26

blur lost against coldplay? nominees... blur,coldplay,foals, one direction, years & years?
and they lost? what a fucking joke... such a joke that Damon didn't even bother to go there for free drinks

What makes this award show more of a joke is that Justin Beiber won an award and Blur didn't get an award.... So there you go. It has nothing to do with the music

Bless Damon for not showing up, who knows why he didn't bother going and the rest of Blur did, but bless him. Fuck the brits.
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

AstronomyD81

Post by AstronomyD81 » 25 Feb 2016, 12:28

Yes everything was a huge joke..the performances -not the bowie tribute wich was ok-, the awards..definitely the brits are not the same of the 90s...everything was so lame and yes Damon did good not going but he was at the after party.. I see some pictures..

beatfloh

Post by beatfloh » 25 Feb 2016, 12:54

Jensen wrote:I saw Graham a couple times! :D
Dave was there as well, so was Streety, while Damon couldn´t be bothered and went to the Club100 to some Craig David Kano thingy sponsored by Beats
Last edited by beatfloh on 25 Feb 2016, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

Miki

Post by Miki » 25 Feb 2016, 13:16

It was mostly a shit night. Except for Tame Impala and Bjork winning and the Bowie tribute, the rest was the worst of the worst - I especially loathed Riannah. I hate that kind of tuneless shit, no matter how much "arty" lightening and graphics try to lift the performance.

The Best Group was really only between Blur and Foal, imo. Y&Y and OD were a joke. Coldplay were not the worst. At least Chris Martin gave a nod to Blur in his speech and said Leisure was the first album he bought.

The Brits have been a joke for some years.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

daii

Post by daii » 25 Feb 2016, 14:38

does anyone heard that thing called Little Mix? it was like some kind of cheap version of the spice girls, I would have loved a camera pointing at graham while they were playing haha

lorde was the best of the night.

mishmosh

Post by mishmosh » 25 Feb 2016, 15:22

daii wrote:does anyone heard that thing called Little Mix? it was like some kind of cheap version of the spice girls, I would have loved a camera pointing at graham while they were playing haha

They won the British X-Factor a few years ago - horrendous!

I enjoyed the Bowie tribute, Annie Lennox's speech was rather touching.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 25 Feb 2016, 19:47

daii wrote:does anyone heard that thing called Little Mix? it was like some kind of cheap version of the spice girls, I would have loved a camera pointing at graham while they were playing haha

Calling the musical abomination that is Little Mix a 'thing' seems somehow very appropriate. :lol: