My thoughts on Blur in 2015 & Phase 4 of Gorillaz

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Pavlich

Re: My thoughts on Blur in 2015 & Phase 4 of Gorillaz

Post by Pavlich » 03 Jan 2016, 14:01

For what it's worth, I reckon we'll see the continuation of the album-a-year Albarn trend. We could likely even see a Graham album in the next 18 months to three years.

2016: Gorillaz album mid-year, just a few shows late-ish in the year, The Good Bad and the Queen in about November
2017: Gorillaz tour pretty heavily until the festival season ends in August. Possibly a musical or even two in the end of the year
2018: Late in the year, a brand new Damon album and tour
2019: Blur album

idreamofpikas

Post by idreamofpikas » 03 Jan 2016, 16:34

Pavlich wrote:
Damon can say whatever he wants. Pop Idol is shit. It represents something cynical and wrong with western society. It's about money and takes away from the artistry of the thing it's so much trying to promote. When you're a random music listener with a worthless opinion, you can still hate it – when you've been in music for decades, and you've tried hard to get to where you are, and still work 9-5 on songwriting and your musicianship, how can this sort of cheating of the industry not annoy you?

What kind of soft, lame person would he be if he didn't comment on things that aggravated him? He's in the rare position where what he moans about, matters. What kind of boring, sanitised person do you want him to be? He should be slagging off things that aren't right. And to hold your tongue for some record sales is just as bad as Pop Idol itself. I'm glad he says things like that.
I'm not sure you understood my point. I have no problem with Damon saying what he said nor do I disagree with it. But it obviously has a knock on effect, as it alienates a portion of the music buying audience.

Critiquing programs that (at the time) had substantial fans was a mistake as they in turn took it a criticism of them. That turns a possible buyer of the album into someone who is going to refuse to on principle. Demon Days and the self titled did not become multi million sellers because they appealed to a niche market, but everyone including the audiences who enjoy such trite on TV.

He can say what he wants, does not affect me one iota as I have been a fan since I was 13. I was just commenting on some of the reasons why PB did not match its commercial expectations.

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 03 Jan 2016, 21:49

I don't think Damon's interviews had any effect on PB's sales.
It was just a less mainstream-sounding record than Demon Days all around and the numbers reflected that.

(superfast jellyfish definitely would have helped tho)

xdrake24

Post by xdrake24 » 04 Jan 2016, 02:39

idreamofpikas wrote:Stylo could have easily been a hit single, the marketing was just incredibly poor or that whole era. Hit singles are more about marketing these days than quality (though I really like Stylo)

There was no physical release which will have hurt sales but the single and video was released on the same day as the album, so many of the people who would have bought the single bought the album instead. Had the video and single been released a week or two before the album then it would have created more buzz.

Then there was the whole idea of releasing the album on Mothers Day. Instead of being able to advertise it as a no1 album, like it would have reached the week before or after, it had to settle for no2. As trivial as it sounds that has some sway on casual buyers.

And then there was the album cover. As awesome as the Island design was, the concept of Gorillaz is the animated band. That is were the bands recognition comes in and many casual buyers would have recognized the 'band' on the cover and bought it.

Lastly there was Damon making it public how he would never allow his music on shows like Glee or Pop Idol. Pointless statement to make public, as all it does is alienate fans of those shows against him. Saying that cost him sales but Gorillaz, in particular, lends itself to those awful mashups and every song Glee was using at the time saw a spike in sales.

Album sales of 1.3 is not a disaster, but it should have done an awful lot better. The marketing was awful.
For some reason I really enjoy reading peoples opinions on the issue of phase 3 and why it didn't do too well. this thread makes interesting points, this post I agree with a lot. I always thought that Grahams comments about Kayne and 'Damon vs Adele' had the same effect for blur this year.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 Jan 2016, 08:24

Pavlich wrote:
idreamofpikas wrote:Damon making it public how he would never allow his music on shows like Glee or Pop Idol. Pointless statement to make public, as all it does is alienate fans of those shows against him.
I disagree a lot with this.

Damon can say whatever he wants....

What kind of soft, lame person would he be if he didn't comment on things that aggravated him?
As long as he does it constructively it is OK. A lot of true Damon fans like this integrity.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Seona Dancing

Post by Seona Dancing » 15 Jan 2016, 02:49

In relation to some points raised earlier about shoddy marketing, this has been going on for quite a few years in relation to both Blur and Gorillaz. Whoever is behind marketing each band needs the sack. It's awful. Their management should have been paying Radio 1 to play their new music all day and night, instead of it only getting a few plays. And as I said on another thread a while ago, why wasn't Blur's new album promoted on the Gorillaz facebook page where it would have reached an extra 9 million people? This was only a few months after Damon stated he wanted to connect all the dots of all his projects for people who didn't realise that he was in Gorillaz and Blur. This is fairly brain-dead stuff.

As for the point in relation to Damon not writing any "killer hits" since Feel Good Inc, it's not that he lost it or can't, it's he chooses not too and has effectively said as much on many occasions. He's in it today for the music and writes what he likes and wants, and won't write a "hit" for the sake of it. He nearly won't write one out of spite at this point. He's become so disillusioned with what the music industry has become, it seems he'd rather not have his music in the charts at all if it's going to be alongside Justin Beiber, Carly Rae Jepson and the like. The days of Blur and Gorillaz knocking out hits and featuring in the mainstream singles charts are gone. Not because they can't do it, it's because Damon simply doesn't have time for that nonsense as he's past being in it for the money and fame. He's into other types of music these days and will simply compose whatever takes his fancy irregardless of what anyone else thinks

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 15 Jan 2016, 05:41

Damon can still write pop, Ong Ong is proof of that.

JackS

Post by JackS » 15 Jan 2016, 08:51

Seona Dancing wrote:In relation to some points raised earlier about shoddy marketing, this has been going on for quite a few years in relation to both Blur and Gorillaz. Whoever is behind marketing each band needs the sack. It's awful. Their management should have been paying Radio 1 to play their new music all day and night, instead of it only getting a few plays. And as I said on another thread a while ago, why wasn't Blur's new album promoted on the Gorillaz facebook page where it would have reached an extra 9 million people? This was only a few months after Damon stated he wanted to connect all the dots of all his projects for people who didn't realise that he was in Gorillaz and Blur. This is fairly brain-dead stuff.

As for the point in relation to Damon not writing any "killer hits" since Feel Good Inc, it's not that he lost it or can't, it's he chooses not too and has effectively said as much on many occasions. He's in it today for the music and writes what he likes and wants, and won't write a "hit" for the sake of it. He nearly won't write one out of spite at this point. He's become so disillusioned with what the music industry has become, it seems he'd rather not have his music in the charts at all if it's going to be alongside Justin Beiber, Carly Rae Jepson and the like. The days of Blur and Gorillaz knocking out hits and featuring in the mainstream singles charts are gone. Not because they can't do it, it's because Damon simply doesn't have time for that nonsense as he's past being in it for the money and fame. He's into other types of music these days and will simply compose whatever takes his fancy irregardless of what anyone else thinks
Good points raised. I think the last time Damon tried to write a hit for the sake of a hit was probably Crazy Beat, and look how that turned out.

edit: Actually, I'm wrong, Doncamatic was written "to be a hit" - he even came out and said it at the time. But I still wouldn't class that as a Gorillaz highlight!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 17 Jan 2016, 06:44

I agree about the marketing - it would make sense to promote the Blur album on Gorillaz FB page.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 23 Jan 2016, 11:51

JackS wrote:I think the last time Damon tried to write a hit for the sake of a hit was probably Crazy Beat, and look how that turned out.
demon days tho

dunkaroo02

Post by dunkaroo02 » 24 Jan 2016, 03:03

davidsutter wrote:
JackS wrote:I think the last time Damon tried to write a hit for the sake of a hit was probably Crazy Beat, and look how that turned out.
demon days tho

Melancholy Hill was probably the last one that was pure pop. Let's be real - every great songwriter loses their fastball eventually. Usually it happens in their late 40's / early 50's, if not sooner. Damon just might not be able to write hit singles anymore.

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 24 Jan 2016, 12:21

He had been on a downturn (Dr. Dee, Rocketjuice, Everyday Robots) until TMW came along.
That was his best since Demon Days and I hope he can keep it up with the next Gorillaz.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 24 Jan 2016, 16:57

davidsutter wrote:He had been on a downturn (Dr. Dee, Rocketjuice, Everyday Robots) until TMW came along.
That was his best since Demon Days and I hope he can keep it up with the next Gorillaz.
I wouldn't lump Dr Dee in there personally. It was never meant to be infectious pop music. ;)

idreamofpikas

Post by idreamofpikas » 24 Jan 2016, 20:41

davidsutter wrote:He had been on a downturn (Dr. Dee, Rocketjuice, Everyday Robots) until TMW came along.
I actually think Everyday Robots is a better album than TMW, though I prefer some of the songs from TMW as an album it does not flow as well. That is just my opinion, but critically speaking they were ranked pretty similar.

Obviously Rocketjuice was something very little effort was put into and would have made an amazing EP rather than album and Dee is a soundtrack album.

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 25 Jan 2016, 06:30

I much prefer the Monkey soundtrack to Dr. Dee, one has him in Gorillaz mode where the other is in boring acoustic mode..