beetlebum intro

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

3d

beetlebum intro

Post by 3d » 02 Dec 2015, 21:46

as much as the outro is eargasmic, the intro is awesome, love the sound and would love to know if it's amp + a box or.... (tweedz if you've got a sec) :geek:

JAIME

Re: beetlebum intro

Post by JAIME » 17 Feb 2016, 15:36

Up for Tweedz ;)

PeterPanic

Post by PeterPanic » 21 Feb 2016, 18:18

delay pedal with the strings muted to make the clicky sound, surely? Or do mean what particular gear?

3d

Post by 3d » 22 Feb 2016, 09:22

yeah, the gear.. was just wondering if there was a rat in there...

kevoutus

Post by kevoutus » 23 Feb 2016, 07:18

It's a delay with one repeat isn't it? The repeat from the slide down happens when he hits the chord creating a trail effect. I think..

Brogues

Post by Brogues » 13 Mar 2016, 08:46

Okay, so I have geeked the fuck out of this one so bear with me:

Firstly, when he plays it live around the time that the album was out, the intro sound was almost definitely just the Marshall with jumped channels, 52 reissue tele on middle pickup and maybe with a little turned down on the tone knob on the tele. The Boss DD-3 is used and Graham responded to a Twitter question confirming that it's "it's a bout 3 echoes with 8th timing". On the Southbank show there was a clip showing the delay setting briefly that he uses live on the Boss DD-3 and it's roughly:

E.Level - 3 o'clock
Feedback - 7 to 8 o'clock ish (just set it so you have about 3 echos)
Delay time - around 11 o'clock I think from memory
Mode - 800ms I think, or whatever to give you delays on the 8th

Exhibit A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw8j3Qrp6wY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; what a flipping' awesome guitar sound

I posted a question some time ago on the old forum to Graham about the sound in Beetlebum and he stated rat+marshall but I'm almost certain he meant the outro because he stated on Twitter when asked by a fellow geek 'what pedal(s) do you use in the solo/break in beetlebum?'

"it's a rat dist (11 o'clock--1oclock--3oclock) and the delay set to 8ths- like in the intro and verses"

Now I have a Rat and a marshall and that is perfect for the outro sound when combined with a slightly overdriven marshall and there is no way that a rat set up like that gives you the intro sound

On the Blur album version, I'm less sure what's going on because I think it's a tele but not sure what amp/pedal combo is going on on the intro. The outro is definitely the rat.

So, in summary:
1) I need to get a life, but I love guitars and Graham's sound so fuck off
2) Live he plays intro as overdriven marshall on jumped channels with a Boss DD-3, tele middle pickup selector setting and possibly with slightly turned down tone knob
3) for the chorus the DD-3 gets switched off
4) for the outdo he stomps on a rat (11 o'clock--1oclock--3oclock) and has the DD-3 switched on

Brogues

Post by Brogues » 13 Mar 2016, 08:51

Oh yeh, forgot to say Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy bottom strings - key part to his sound in general but especially on Beetlebum as the heavy bottom strings make it sound so chunky.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » 13 Mar 2016, 09:52

All this goes way over my head, but I find it really interesting. I guess when it comes to playing the guitar, playing the guitar is just half of it?

Well, three quarters, maybe.
☰ ☱ ☲ ☳ ☴ ☵ ☶ ☷

3d

Post by 3d » 14 Mar 2016, 22:49

kl .. think the delay was possibly on one channel on the album.. need to take another look/ listen ... any one of blur's best, a perfect song