unpopular blur opinions

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Re: unpopular blur opinions

Postby aldamasta » 15 Jan 2018, 18:23

For all the shit that Country House gets, it's just an amazing pop song when you separate it from all of the Battle of Britpop stuff. I will always think that the "blow, blow me out..." part is one of Damon's finest moments. Such genius to have that in the middle of a song that, on the surface, seems like just a fun silly little song.
aldamasta

Postby TracyJosh » 15 Jan 2018, 23:04

aldamasta wrote:For all the shit that Country House gets, it's just an amazing pop song when you separate it from all of the Battle of Britpop stuff. I will always think that the "blow, blow me out..." part is one of Damon's finest moments. Such genius to have that in the middle of a song that, on the surface, seems like just a fun silly little song.

Yeah I agree. It is quite a widely accepted view on this forum that the "Blow, blow me out..." break down is the saving grace of that song.

Also seems to be widely agreed that the very literal, slapstick video for the song didn't help...
TracyJosh

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 17 Jan 2018, 08:24

Pavlich wrote:Hah. Was it pretty priding to see them become so big with Parklife and have the Britpop wars with Oasis? I mean they were one of the last absolutely massive bands in the UK.

Hah! You could say it was. And so it should be. :D

More precisely, it was invigorating to see them become 'massive'. When they started, they got a good top ten hit quite quickly, but so did The Soup Dragons, The Farm and Jesus Jones, and where did they go?

And the first album was for the indie fan :geek: , rather than the radio listener. I liked it, but the over-riding feeling was that they may keep going with an indie-following, but not set the charts on fire. Much like The Inspiral Carpets or Ride. The 'Modern Life Is Rubbish' album maintained this feeling.

It was the release of the 'Girls & Boys' single, in a quickly unexpected way after this, that started the building blocks to a greater career. It was a good move, that captured the audience beyond indie.

This continued with 'Country House' and as other say the "blow, blow me out...." break gave that song a depth beyond sing-a-long.
Last edited by Mallard No. 22 on 23 Jan 2018, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."
Mallard No. 22

Postby Forever Low Man » 18 Jan 2018, 06:56

the blur jeans demo from blur 21 is my favorite blur song

I don't know what it is that draws me in but it does and it's beautiful
maybe it's the harmonies
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners
Forever Low Man

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Jan 2018, 19:31

Forever Low Man wrote:the blur jeans demo from blur 21 is my favorite blur song

I don't know what it is that draws me in but it does and it's beautiful
maybe it's the harmonies

I consider "Blue Jeans" to be one of their most underrated songs and I love how they revived it around '99/'00 (especially the Meltdown performance). I wish they brought it back during the last few reunions and hope they do it if they ever perform another concert together. It's also ideal for Damon's vocal range and Graham can still nail those backing harmonies well!
KingLouieLouie76

Postby saltandgin » 23 Jan 2018, 23:15

I love the end of Country House when there are three melodies going on at the same time.
NOT for the likes of you. Image
saltandgin

Postby Forever Low Man » 24 Jan 2018, 05:25

saltandgin wrote:I love the end of Country House when there are three melodies going on at the same time.

if you like that sort of thing, check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVF_q1ZbU-4
Forever Low Man

Postby AdvertBreak » 24 Jan 2018, 20:23

Forever Low Man wrote:
saltandgin wrote:I love the end of Country House when there are three melodies going on at the same time.

if you like that sort of thing, check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVF_q1ZbU-4

if you want more, saltandgin, what you want is this. There's what...eight melodies at the same time by the end..and it sounds beautiful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErWSYJYKM-Q

https://rateyourmusic.com/~chemical_think_tank
AdvertBreak

Postby damon008 » 07 Feb 2018, 06:07

haircuts matter, i,d love damon to have his 90s hairdo in a gig lol

Postby metalhipslop » 17 Feb 2018, 00:04

I skip Tender and start with Bugman when I listen to 13. Tender seems too out of place in my opinion, but it's a great single.
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.
metalhipslop

Postby Forever Low Man » 17 Feb 2018, 01:51

metalhipslop wrote:I skip Tender and start with Bugman when I listen to 13. Tender seems too out of place in my opinion, but it's a great single.

you deserve to be banned for that
Forever Low Man

Postby metalhipslop » 17 Feb 2018, 03:10

Forever Low Man wrote:
metalhipslop wrote:I skip Tender and start with Bugman when I listen to 13. Tender seems too out of place in my opinion, but it's a great single.

you deserve to be banned for that

For skipping a gospel singalong that is almost 8 minutes long? and is the first song of the record?
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.
metalhipslop

PreviousNext

Return to Blur