unpopular blur opinions

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Indiana

Re: unpopular blur opinions

Post by Indiana » 03 Jun 2016, 05:15

JAIME wrote:
Indiana wrote:even the elephant in question reportedly shat itself upon hearing it.
:lol:

I love Mr. Tembo, it's one of the few songs that I like. Mr.Tembo brings some "fresh air" to the album.
Well, it certainly didn't during the live rendition in front of the poor, unsuspecting beast... :mrgreen:

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 07 Jun 2016, 21:12

blurop4 wrote:Saw this thread and wanted to share my thoughts...

4. Although I like the songs a lot, I would rather Blur play b-sides at shows going forward than play Tender, Parklife, and Girls and Boys.

5. Blur haven't made a decent video since Coffee and TV.

7. I really enjoy the Andy Partridge recordings, even Sunday, Sunday.
I agree with you on these three thoughts you had.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 09 Jun 2016, 06:59

blurop4 wrote:The Billy Orbit Under the Westway is amazing and undoubtedly better than the released version (which is still a good song).
:D William Orbit, always liable to be good.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

MannMedic

Post by MannMedic » 23 May 2017, 22:52

Not sure how much of an unpopular opinion this is, but Fade Away is one of my absolute favorite songs from The Great Escape.
Just your average country sad ballad man!

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 23 May 2017, 23:02

MannMedic wrote:Not sure how much of an unpopular opinion this is, but Fade Away is one of my absolute favorite songs from The Great Escape.
Well, it is one of the better songs on the album. Now, if you had said Top Man...

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 24 May 2017, 00:34

Top Man is excellent, HUGELY underrated.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

MannMedic

Post by MannMedic » 24 May 2017, 00:45

Agreed, Top Man is one of those songs that I can't help but tap and hum along to when I'm busy with something. Fade Away, Top Man, and Mr. Robinson's Quango are probably my top three off of TGE.
Just your average country sad ballad man!

anothermario

Post by anothermario » 24 May 2017, 01:00

listened to TGE the other day and it's a pretty solid album... very underrated in general! no skippable songs for me , even ernold same
I can't wear that, stupid rain hat

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 24 May 2017, 02:00

tom_cas1 wrote:Top Man is excellent, HUGELY underrated.
After I got over the "Oms" and the cheesey "Open sesame" I started to love Top Man

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 24 May 2017, 02:34

Aside from Ernold Same which has the dreadful Ken Livingstone as a guest vocalist (Blur's all-time worst moment), it's a great album. Better than Parklife.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 24 May 2017, 07:53

tom_cas1 wrote:it's a great album. Better than Parklife.
Um, no.

TGE is Blur's Be Here Now, a band trying too hard to emulate the success of their previous record but coming up with an album that is sometimes hard to listen to. Songs like Country House, Top Man, Mr. Robinson's Quango and Dan Abnormal are cheesy as fuck. If there is one word I would describe TGE with is pretentious.

No wonder Damon & co. completely changed direction after that.

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 24 May 2017, 09:34

Rubi wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:it's a great album. Better than Parklife.
Um, no.

TGE is Blur's Be Here Now, a band trying too hard to emulate the success of their previous record but coming up with an album that is sometimes hard to listen to. Songs like Country House, Top Man, Mr. Robinson's Quango and Dan Abnormal are cheesy as fuck. If there is one word I would describe TGE with is pretentious.

No wonder Damon & co. completely changed direction after that.
Hmm, don't see how those songs are any more cheesy than some of the cheese on Parklife. They are just more cynical and obnoxious in tone.

I also never understood all the hate for Top Man, thought it was a great companion to London Loves. An anthem for the doomed London geezer.

Minus Dan Abnormal and Charmless man, it's still a great album. I just think it was a question of timing and circumstance at the time that are responsible for it's painful demise. Without the presence of Oasis it could have received no backlash and maybe then the next album wouldn't have been so much of a departure from sound. However, I'm happy with the way things turned out ultimately.

sara-m-a

Post by sara-m-a » 24 May 2017, 13:20

TGE's b-sides are the best, parklife's being the worse

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 24 May 2017, 23:30

I really, really don't like Yuko & Hiro

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 25 May 2017, 01:11

sara-m-a wrote:TGE's b-sides are the best, parklife's being the worse
I wholeheartedly agree with you! "TGE" b-sides generally marked the transition between that and the sound that eventually evolved on "Blur". "No Monsters In Me", "St. Louis", and "Tame" especially... Those could have been strong album tracks!

"Yuko & Hiro" is one of my least favorite Blur songs... Lord....."TOPMAN" is one of the best singalong songs ever recorded!