unpopular blur opinions

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

JackS

Re: unpopular blur opinions

Post by JackS » 24 Nov 2015, 10:25

thespider wrote:Despite being one of the most consistent live bands I've ever seen, they're often fucking shite when playing on TV shows.
This. I don't know why this happens. Lonesome Street is one of Blur's best live songs now, but on the Graham Norton show it was useless.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 24 Nov 2015, 12:04

MsMagicAmerica wrote:At the NYC show last month Damon told the crowd not to vote for Donald Trump ("because he's a chump") Personal opinions aside about Trump, I don't feel it was right for Damon, a British citizen, to tell Americans who to not vote for in the next Presidential election.
I dunno, is he not allowed a point of view on the politics of countries other than the one he was born in?

Would it be terrible for him to say that Pol Pot, Stalin, Hitler et al shouldn't be encouraged?

If it's not right for Damon as a Brit to tell Americans who to vote for, why are we (collected nations) allowed to kill Iraqis to establish "democracy"?

I saw lots of English people express views on the Scottish vote for devolution, is that wrong?

Is the head of International Politics of Oxford and/or Cambridge (if he is British) less entitled to voice his view on who would make the best US president than an American who openly denounces politics and hasn't completed high school?

For me personally I don't think the issue is about "outsiders" commentating on politics. It's more a question of why people would be influenced by a one-line sound bite, which is little more than a terrible pun, to inform their decision on something that affects a vast multitude of issues in not just their own individual future, but that of generations to come.

Sorry, flying off at a bit of a tangent.

Unpopular Blur opinions, hmm,

1) Gene By Gene is actually a bloody good song.
2) Blur haven't done a very good job with their punkier numbers in the studio, even something like The Puritan suffers in the studio version comparatively by being 15-20% slower, never mind I Broadcast, WGAFOY etc.
3) The William Orbit version of UTW was shaping up to be better than the released version, I get that they didn't want to go in an eclectic direction and they wanted something simple and worked with a sense of community, but still...
4) The line "you're as tied to me as I am to you" is the best lyric Damon has written in about 20 years.
5) Think Tank and to a less extent TGE would be looked upon much more favourably by Blur fans had Damon not slated them.
6) TMW will be the last Blur album.
7) The TMW campaign hasn't felt as exciting as those of old, primarily because once the album drops its difficult to keep momentum going, no B-sides means singles are quickly forgotten etc.
8) Fools Day is a damn good song, at least as good as anything on TMW and for me is as Blur by numbers as Lonesome Street.
9) On the inevitable day that Oasis reunite we will have to put up with lots more gaudy Britpop talk, either stoking up old issues, or more likely an over-the-top demonstration of how far behind them it is, a co-headlining tour type thing.
10) Dave Rowntree will live forever.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 24 Nov 2015, 13:12

dougharrison wrote:
MsMagicAmerica wrote:At the NYC show last month Damon told the crowd not to vote for Donald Trump ("because he's a chump") Personal opinions aside about Trump, I don't feel it was right for Damon, a British citizen, to tell Americans who to not vote for in the next Presidential election.
I dunno, is he not allowed a point of view on the politics of countries other than the one he was born in?
Yes, and he speaks eloquently on many issues. I just think it comes across as a bit lame and limp when saying something as blatant as 'Don't vote for this bloke' on stage. No context I guess. Time and a place.

Would it be terrible for him to say that Pol Pot, Stalin, Hitler et al shouldn't be encouraged?
Don't be silly. :P

If it's not right for Damon as a Brit to tell Americans who to vote for, why are we (collected nations) allowed to kill Iraqis to establish "democracy"?
As I said, I just think such off the cuff specific remarks seem a bit crass. 'We' are represented by elected representatives who make these decisions (whether we agree is a separate matter) on our behalf. Damon's just a bloke in a band. Welcome to his opinion - go for it. I just think it looks stupid.

I saw lots of English people express views on the Scottish vote for devolution, is that wrong?
They were not on stage in front of thousands. I think what you're talking about there are some conversations. Quite a different matter. And the Scottish devolution would have a direct outcome on the English population too, so was quite understandably a matter of relevance. I can see a US president will of course have a profound bearing on the rest of the world of course, I don't deny that!

Is the head of International Politics of Oxford and/or Cambridge (if he is British) less entitled to voice his view on who would make the best US president than an American who openly denounces politics and hasn't completed high school?
That's an individual with a specific role or expertise expressing a view, again probably through a more considered medium - an interview, a paper, a speech.

For me personally I don't think the issue is about "outsiders" commentating on politics. It's more a question of why people would be influenced by a one-line sound bite, which is little more than a terrible pun, to inform their decision on something that affects a vast multitude of issues in not just their own individual future, but that of generations to come.

I dunno. Damon's welcome to say it. I just don't think it looks very clever.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 24 Nov 2015, 14:45

101reykjavik wrote:I dunno, is he not allowed a point of view on the politics of countries other than the one he was born in?
Yes, and he speaks eloquently on many issues. I just think it comes across as a bit lame and limp when saying something as blatant as 'Don't vote for this bloke' on stage. No context I guess. Time and a place.

Don't be silly. :P

As I said, I just think such off the cuff specific remarks seem a bit crass. 'We' are represented by elected representatives who make these decisions (whether we agree is a separate matter) on our behalf. Damon's just a bloke in a band. Welcome to his opinion - go for it. I just think it looks stupid.

They were not on stage in front of thousands. I think what you're talking about there are some conversations. Quite a different matter. And the Scottish devolution would have a direct outcome on the English population too, so was quite understandably a matter of relevance. I can see a US president will of course have a profound bearing on the rest of the world of course, I don't deny that!

That's an individual with a specific role or expertise expressing a view, again probably through a more considered medium - an interview, a paper, a speech.

I dunno. Damon's welcome to say it. I just don't think it looks very clever.
Completely agree, that this comment as has been reported (I'm sure entirely accurately) is far too superficial to come across as anything other than crass. Far from his finest hour, he is capable of voicing well informed, considered opinions on such subjects and as such this comes across badly to rhyme Trump with Chump with little/no explanation (although my personal view is that wasting oxygen discussing him like a serious politician is unnecessary). I think we pretty much agree really 101, I'll avoid responding part-by-part with my thoughts, purely because I'm in danger of taking this way O/T.

The comment/sentiment I was responding to I felt was trying to suggest that Damon was wrong to express an opinion on the matter of US politics, which I can't agree with. That he shouldn't have voiced an opinion regardless of what it was or the way it was expressed, I may have misinterpreted that wildly though.

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 24 Nov 2015, 18:25

dougharrison wrote:1) Gene By Gene is actually a bloody good song.
Agreed. This is as obvious as unpopular.

Kibarry

Post by Kibarry » 24 Nov 2015, 19:44

1. There Are Too Many of Us sounds like a bad Bond Theme, but I still like it
2. To add to this, there's a weird hiss or some static when the acoustic guitar comes in on TATMOU and this annoys me
3. Damon needs to learn a chord other than E
4. Despite it being one of the best studio tracks from the album, Ice Cream Man would have been a flop live
5. I don't mind another Hyde Park DVD
6. I'm not sure if they can maintain their integrity if they tour in the future unless the live show changed in some way
7. The vocals on My Terracotta Heart ruined a potentially good song
8. What even is Far Out?
9. Blur will be overshadowed by Oasis of they ever come back
10. You guys have unrealistic expectations for the songs that should be included on the set list ( I agree more of TMW would have been better) and the amount of gigs that they've done this year
11. Some of the singles they released over the past 25 years could have been about 2 or 3 percent faster
12. I know is underrated
13. The Fred Armisen thing wasn't funny
14. I can't end on 13, so... Damon needs to stop wearing the same clothes for weeks on end

There, I've said it

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 24 Nov 2015, 19:48

Kibarry wrote:3. Damon needs to learn a chord other than E

14. I can't end on 13, so... Damon needs to stop wearing the same clothes for weeks on end
:mrgreen:

Mr. OK

Post by Mr. OK » 24 Nov 2015, 20:16

Kibarry wrote:5. I don't mind another Hyde Park DVD
8. What even is Far Out?
9. Blur will be overshadowed by Oasis of they ever come back
12. I know is underrated

There, I've said it
I agree with 9 and 12; as for 8, the Beagle 2 remix is way better than the original (it actually becomes a song!) Ha ha on 14... :lol:

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 24 Nov 2015, 21:30

Far Out is actually pretty good! And I mean every single version of it.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 24 Nov 2015, 21:55

It's sort of sad that Oasis will overshadow blur.. I mean, that will happen for sure, but.. The guys have incredible songs, good albums - but they were so stale in their music development... It just seems a bit unfair
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

goadamn

Post by goadamn » 25 Nov 2015, 15:03

Kibarry wrote:7. The vocals on My Terracotta Heart ruined a potentially good song
Absolutely!
I feel that the only reason everyone else seems so keen on this track is due to the subject matter.
*shrug*

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 26 Nov 2015, 01:46

^ Ice Cream Man was played at the MODE show and it was anything but a flop. Incredible live song, one of the best live songs from the album.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Kibarry

Post by Kibarry » 26 Nov 2015, 07:52

tom_cas1 wrote:^ Ice Cream Man was played at the MODE show and it was anything but a flop. Incredible live song, one of the best live songs from the album.
Well, the sound might have worked in a small venue like Mode, but this might not have been the case if they played it at bigger festivals and outdoor gigs.

Furthermore, it might have also caused a lull in the setlist at any given gig it was played at

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 26 Nov 2015, 18:07

Why would it have caused a lull in the setlist?
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Kibarry

Post by Kibarry » 26 Nov 2015, 20:21

tom_cas1 wrote:Why would it have caused a lull in the setlist?
Basically for the same reason they always include Parklife, Song 2, Tender etc., because they want to appeal to everyone and not just the fans that hang on their every word

It's an album track, mid tempo, no chorus. I'm not saying it's a bad song but for the venues and events they played at this year I'm not sure it would have been suitable

It's just a hunch, I can't prove it and neither can you