Blur in Q's "100 Greatest Albums of the 90s"

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Rosie

Re: general blur thread

Post by Rosie » 28 Oct 2015, 07:08

maffed wrote:I can confirm no one here knows him. I guess he didn't manage to reach mainstream popularity in Italy! Very good tunes, though! Been listening to some of his songs all day long!
So, I'm not the only one who doesn't know him :D ;)
But yes, I listend to that album yesterday and it's nice, but anyway not comparable to the best albums from Blur.

Liese

Post by Liese » 28 Oct 2015, 12:36

Rosie wrote:
maffed wrote:I can confirm no one here knows him. I guess he didn't manage to reach mainstream popularity in Italy! Very good tunes, though! Been listening to some of his songs all day long!
So, I'm not the only one who doesn't know him :D ;)
But yes, I listend to that album yesterday and it's nice, but anyway not comparable to the best albums from Blur.
That Shadow guy did not make it in Germany either, but maybe I should give him a listen. ;)
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 28 Oct 2015, 14:53

The UK was the only place he "made it" to be honest, but its not about that. It's about Endtroducing rising from the mist, no matter where you are in the world, as Mo Wax's finest hour.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 28 Oct 2015, 17:32

AdvertBreak wrote:The UK was the only place he "made it" to be honest, but its not about that. It's about Endtroducing rising from the mist, no matter where you are in the world, as Mo Wax's finest hour.
Yup. It's not the kind of record you'd expect to succeed on a commercial level.

MsMagicAmerica

Re: Blur in Q's "100 Greatest Albums of the 90s"

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 30 Oct 2015, 03:04

These lists always piss me off. I don't know who DJ Shadow is either. To be honest, I as much as I hate lists like these, I feel that I could never make them as I don't listen to all music from the 90s

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 30 Oct 2015, 08:12

Mine would just be fulla Cardiacs

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 30 Oct 2015, 08:39

Lads, as has been said, DJ Shadow is amazing. Entroducing absolutely deserves to be there.

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 30 Oct 2015, 08:42

AdvertBreak wrote:
101reykjavik wrote:This month's issue of Q has the 100 greatest albums of the 90s. Here's the top ten:

1. Radiohead - OK Computer
2. Tricky -Maxinquaye
3. Nirvana - In Utero
4. Jeff Buckley - Grace
5. Beastie Boys - Ill Communication
6. Bjork - Debut
7. DJ Shadow - Entroducing
8. Oasis - Definitely Maybe
9. Pulp - Different Class
10. The Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole

No Blur in the top ten... Blur only appear at:

12. 13 (A better album than Definitely Maybe though they may be judging DM as more culturally important (fair point). But on that basis Parklife would be up there too...

48. Parklife (48??!)

And, er... that's it. Nothing else makes the cut. I think the compiling team are no kind of Blur fans! :lol: I'll have to look out my copy from 1999 when they last did best albums of the 90s to see how they compare. Very odd list to my eyes at least.

And one other thing though lots of the entries could be discussed...
57. U2 - Achtung Baby (U2's greatest album isn't even one of the 50 best albums of the decade?!)

I know, I know, these lists mean nothing. But they don't half get you going for some reason.
These lists are always fu-stupid. Ill Communication at 5, wtf? I like it n' all, but no one else thinks its the 5th best. Also, Debut is Bjork's weakest 90s album (good though it is). Maxinquaye is an inspired touch, though. Reminds me of XTRMNTR at no 3 on NME's 2000s list. Fell off my chair when I saw that.

Achtung Baby is fantastic and indeed #57 is stupid place to put it. I take it that means they've got rid of Zooropa from the list - an older version had it.
What's you beef with Ill Communication? I probably prefer Hello Nasty out of their 90's albums, but I'm still delighted to see a BEastie Boys album in there on general principle.

And yes, the list needs more Blur obviously.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 30 Oct 2015, 16:44

I have nothing at all wrong with it. In fact, its my second favourite BB album after Paul's Boutqiue. But its a bit unoriginal compared to their previous albums. FTR, Check Your Head is usually considered their 90s classic.

Endtroducing is always in lists of the best albums of 90s. I'm surprised people here are surprised! It's actually the 9th most acclaimed album of the 90s according to Acclaimed Music. It has been featured in a lot of lists.

Post and especially Homogenic for me in the Bjork category.

My top 10 would have U2's Pop in it. But it would also have Loveless and Laughing Stock, so its okay.

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 30 Oct 2015, 20:09

AdvertBreak wrote:I have nothing at all wrong with it. In fact, its my second favourite BB album after Paul's Boutqiue. But its a bit unoriginal compared to their previous albums. FTR, Check Your Head is usually considered their 90s classic.

Endtroducing is always in lists of the best albums of 90s. I'm surprised people here are surprised! It's actually the 9th most acclaimed album of the 90s according to Acclaimed Music. It has been featured in a lot of lists.

Post and especially Homogenic for me in the Bjork category.

My top 10 would have U2's Pop in it. But it would also have Loveless and Laughing Stock, so its okay.
Do you think? About Check Your Head I mean? Wonderful record, but I always thought it was underrated.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 30 Oct 2015, 20:21

It seems to be the most acclaimed.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 30 Oct 2015, 23:28

U2's Achtung,Zooropa and Pop was a great run of albums for them back in the 90's and deserves to be higher in this poll. Shame it went wrong for them from 2000 onwards.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 31 Oct 2015, 01:28

No Line on the Horizon was good (great, even) but the band now dismiss just like they do Zooropa and Pop.

The three 90s albums are my favourite albums by them actually.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 31 Oct 2015, 03:34

AdvertBreak wrote:No Line on the Horizon was good (great, even) but the band now dismiss just like they do Zooropa and Pop.

The three 90s albums are my favourite albums by them actually.
I quite like their last album to be honest.... Nice documentary on NLOTH http://youtu.be/nKRtAeoCSjI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

ricj

Post by ricj » 31 Oct 2015, 10:03

Mark72 wrote:U2's Achtung,Zooropa and Pop was a great run of albums for them back in the 90's and deserves to be higher in this poll. Shame it went wrong for them from 2000 onwards.
Yeah! So glad someone else shares this opinion that I go around preaching constantly. And don't forget Passengers!

I loved everything about U2 in the 90's. It really seemed like they did not care what people thought and just created the kind of music that interested them. You genuinely didn't know what the next album would sound like and what they would come up with next and they genuinely re-invented themselves with each album. (this is precisely why Blur became my favourite band with the Blur album and then 13). I thought they looked good, had a certain swagger and style and Bono wasn't preachy at all (and when he was he did it in a cool way).

And then yeah... it all went horrifically wrong in 2000... At the time I didn't mind and actually thought fair play. They've spent the 90's experimenting and have gone back to basics for one album and proved they can still write music for the masses but little did I know that it was the beginning of the end.. Every album they've released has got worse and worse to the point that there's only one song on the latest that I can bear to listen to and this will be the first tour I won't bother to see them on (Popmart 97 was my first ever gig). I don't understand why they feel the need (in their own words) to constantly strive to have number one albums and singles and be the biggest band in the world?! They've done that. Just end their career respectfully and gracefully and go back to doing what they did in the 90's..

Still, at least we have the memories.

Oh yeah and the fact they have almost completely neglected Pop on every tour since Popmart proves just how little of a clue they have these days...