Blur in Q's "100 Greatest Albums of the 90s"

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

101reykjavik

Blur in Q's "100 Greatest Albums of the 90s"

Post by 101reykjavik » 25 Oct 2015, 11:08

This month's issue of Q has the 100 greatest albums of the 90s. Here's the top ten:

1. Radiohead - OK Computer
2. Tricky -Maxinquaye
3. Nirvana - In Utero
4. Jeff Buckley - Grace
5. Beastie Boys - Ill Communication
6. Bjork - Debut
7. DJ Shadow - Entroducing
8. Oasis - Definitely Maybe
9. Pulp - Different Class
10. The Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole

No Blur in the top ten... Blur only appear at:

12. 13 (A better album than Definitely Maybe though they may be judging DM as more culturally important (fair point). But on that basis Parklife would be up there too...

48. Parklife (48??!)

And, er... that's it. Nothing else makes the cut. I think the compiling team are no kind of Blur fans! :lol: I'll have to look out my copy from 1999 when they last did best albums of the 90s to see how they compare. Very odd list to my eyes at least.

And one other thing though lots of the entries could be discussed...
57. U2 - Achtung Baby (U2's greatest album isn't even one of the 50 best albums of the decade?!)

I know, I know, these lists mean nothing. But they don't half get you going for some reason.

Edit: I've extracted this topic from the General Blur Thread. -Veikko

AdvertBreak

Re: general blur thread

Post by AdvertBreak » 25 Oct 2015, 15:20

101reykjavik wrote:This month's issue of Q has the 100 greatest albums of the 90s. Here's the top ten:

2. Tricky -Maxinquaye
3. Nirvana - In Utero
4. Jeff Buckley - Grace
6. Bjork - Debut

12. 13 (A better album than Definitely Maybe though they may be judging DM as more culturally important (fair point). But on that basis Parklife would be up there too...

48. Parklife (48??!)

And, er... that's it. Nothing else makes the cut. I think the compiling team are no kind of Blur fans! :lol: I'll have to look out my copy from 1999 when they last did best albums of the 90s to see how they compare. Very odd list to my eyes at least.

57. U2 - Achtung Baby (U2's greatest album isn't even one of the 50 best albums of the decade?!)

I know, I know, these lists mean nothing. But they don't half get you going for some reason.
These lists are always fu-stupid. Ill Communication at 5, wtf? I like it n' all, but no one else thinks its the 5th best. Also, Debut is Bjork's weakest 90s album (good though it is). Maxinquaye is an inspired touch, though. Reminds me of XTRMNTR at no 3 on NME's 2000s list. Fell off my chair when I saw that.

Achtung Baby is fantastic and indeed #57 is stupid place to put it. I take it that means they've got rid of Zooropa from the list - an older version had it.

Rosie

Post by Rosie » 26 Oct 2015, 11:42

101reykjavik wrote:This month's issue of Q has the 100 greatest albums of the 90s. Here's the top ten:

2. Tricky -Maxinquaye
3. Nirvana - In Utero
4. Jeff Buckley - Grace
6. Bjork - Debut

DJ Shadow??' Who is DJ Shadow???
And they are telling me that Blur aren't in the top 10?????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 26 Oct 2015, 12:49

AdvertBreak wrote:

2. Tricky -Maxinquaye
3. Nirvana - In Utero
4. Jeff Buckley - Grace
6. Bjork - Debut

48. Parklife (48??!)

These lists are always fu-stupid. Ill Communication at 5, wtf? I like it n' all, but no one else thinks its the 5th best. Also, Debut is Bjork's weakest 90s album (good though it is). Maxinquaye is an inspired touch, though. Reminds me of XTRMNTR at no 3 on NME's 2000s list. Fell off my chair when I saw that.

Achtung Baby is fantastic and indeed #57 is stupid place to put it. I take it that means they've got rid of Zooropa from the list - an older version had it.
You're right, they're always total nonsense these lists, but it still riles me. With you on Bjork, some great albums, but Debut ain't anywhere near the top ten. I'd sooner put Post in there, but don't think I would on balance. Grace is one of these totemic things that just feels a bit over rated to me due to the James Dean effect and DJ Shadow (with you Rosie!) - just no.

And coming back to U2, you're right, Zooropa doesn't get a look in. For my money, MLIR and S/T are top 20 - 25, Parklife is top 15 - top 10 (on sheer cultural impact alone), 13 is in the top ten (conversely for artistic achievement). Leisure, doubt if it gets an entry.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 26 Oct 2015, 18:16

Rosie wrote: DJ Shadow??' Who is DJ Shadow???
Are you kidding me?

It's just a list, folks, and it's Q magazine. Who cares.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 26 Oct 2015, 18:25

Very odd list, surprised that the blur list ranked so poorly. His 'n' hers is vastly superior to different class in my view.
Last edited by Mark72 on 26 Oct 2015, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 26 Oct 2015, 18:32

Endtroducing doesn't do a lot for me but I do realise its a masterpiece, so no problem there for me.

13 is my personal number 1, so I'm glad to see it high, but I'd be tempted to stick all of Blur's in there sans Leisure.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 26 Oct 2015, 18:44

Wat da fook??!?! Blur from 1997 in the top 3 for me anyday, Modern Life easily top 10 etc etc....

Pasta

Post by Pasta » 27 Oct 2015, 10:15

Bloody hell endtroducing is a very very famous album, I'd have thought everyone on here would be aware

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 27 Oct 2015, 10:23

Pasta wrote:Bloody hell endtroducing is a very very famous album, I'd have thought everyone on here would be aware
Er... I could be wrong but I took it that Rosie was suggesting DJ Shadow didn't deserve to be in there by mock-pretending not to know it 'Who?' That's how I took it.

Rosie

Post by Rosie » 27 Oct 2015, 11:10

101reykjavik wrote:
Pasta wrote:Bloody hell endtroducing is a very very famous album, I'd have thought everyone on here would be aware
Er... I could be wrong but I took it that Rosie was suggesting DJ Shadow didn't deserve to be in there by mock-pretending not to know it 'Who?' That's how I took it.
Nono, you have to forgive my ignorance in music, but I really don't know who this DJ Shadow is, never heard of him.
I live in Italy, maybe he hasn't reached in a massive way our market?
Now, I'll give it a listen, if it's ranked so high, it could be worth listening, but really...i had no idea of his existence until now. :? :? :?

Pasta

Post by Pasta » 27 Oct 2015, 17:07

I guess that is his only significant work but is quite significant in uk / us i would've thought

maffed

Post by maffed » 27 Oct 2015, 19:11

I can confirm no one here knows him. I guess he didn't manage to reach mainstream popularity in Italy! Very good tunes, though! Been listening to some of his songs all day long!
Sugar Plum Fairy, Sugar Plum Fairy

thespider

Post by thespider » 27 Oct 2015, 19:33

Il Communication isn't even the best Beastie Boys album released in the 90s, let alone one of the best overall.

Mine would be (only one album per artist allowed) in order:

1.Blur- Modern Life is Rubbish
2.Radiohead- The Bends
3.Judas Priest- Painkiller
4.The Prodigy- Music for the Jilted Generation
5.Pantera- Vulgar Display of Power
6.Fear Factory- Demanufacture
7.Strapping Young Lad- City
8.Machine Head- Burn My Eyes
9.Korn- Korn
10.Testament- The Gathering

Wow. A lot more heavy metal than I expected.

thespider

Post by thespider » 27 Oct 2015, 19:35

And yes I've heard of DJ Shadow.