BLUR DOCUMENTARY: New World Towers

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Jensen

Re: BLUR DOCUMENTARY: New World Towers

Post by Jensen » 19 Oct 2015, 19:19

Just saw the trailer and got ridiculously emotional :_)

I loved NDLTR so I think this is very good news.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 19 Oct 2015, 19:28

Soooo excited for this. I love blur documentaries! This is so unexpected. I would love to have a DVD including the MODE gig, Hyde Park, and Hong Kong. Honestly the most exciting part about getting another Hyde Park DVD is finally getting to see the videos they had on screen while they performed. It looked very cool. Regardless, I'm excited :D seems like the chances of some December gigs are increasing more and more

Sushi

Post by Sushi » 19 Oct 2015, 19:54

Honestly... It looks like a fun watch but this strikes me as a classic money grab. The description makes it sound like footage of two shows (Hyde park and Hong Kong) with some background story of TMW dispersed through out. But at this point there's nothing we don't know about the album, and despite its release, the set list is pretty much the same it's been for 6 years! That trailer was one big chunk of deja vu.

Simon le bon

Post by Simon le bon » 19 Oct 2015, 20:10

A new documentary? What for?
I'll still go and buy it when it is out

Liese

Post by Liese » 19 Oct 2015, 20:12

I would love this to mean they will do one or two shows in London around the release... But I know this is very wishful thinking...
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

JackS

Post by JackS » 19 Oct 2015, 20:21

I'm not complaining, but this does strike me as a little strange.

I'll go of course, and probably love it, but I'm not sure who the target market is for the cinema release outside the regulars of this forum.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 19 Oct 2015, 20:22

Simon le bon wrote:A new documentary? What for?
I'll still go and buy it when it is out
Kind of agree with this, but I'll still be at the front of the queue to buy it. :D Can't see what we don't know by now about TMW but maybe it's a nice way to wrap up the TMW period nicely.

rich

Post by rich » 19 Oct 2015, 20:31

Ok - I have a few mixed feelings like some of you, but on balance this is great, great news :)
I wonder how many screens will show it?
assuming a physical release at some point, that's my xmas pressie sorted then...
[although if the DVD's out before then I know I will crumble and grab it!]

rich 8-)

bugman

Post by bugman » 19 Oct 2015, 20:35

Sushi wrote:Honestly... It looks like a fun watch but this strikes me as a classic money grab. The description makes it sound like footage of two shows (Hyde park and Hong Kong) with some background story of TMW dispersed through out. But at this point there's nothing we don't know about the album, and despite its release, the set list is pretty much the same it's been for 6 years! That trailer was one big chunk of deja vu.
this is exactly my thoughts

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 19 Oct 2015, 20:39

I hope the cinema release isn't just a few enormo-screens. Would be nice to see it in a more intimate venue.

miko

Post by miko » 19 Oct 2015, 20:55

hehe we all gonna watch it/buy it in the end and they know it and you know it :mrgreen:

my opinion is - let's celebrate TMW anyway possible before the year is out, even if they're not gonna reveal anything new in this documentary

btw, did they screen NDLTR in theatres in UK as well?

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 19 Oct 2015, 21:04

Yes NDLTR was in select theatres I believe. And I agree! Celebrate the amazing year that we and blur have had. Besides, I'm sure there will be SOME new stuff revealed in the documentary. Especially things that us hardcore fans will find interesting. And I'm excited to see more footage from the HK sessions, if they have footage we have yet to see. So that, combined with:
1. we'll get a new fucking blur DVD/blu ray and
2. this is a perfect reason for blur to add some December gigs, I don't see how anyone could not be happy for this! Not that anyone is straight up complaining haha

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 19 Oct 2015, 21:12

I agree with the mixed emotions on here.

I will get it because I am always interested in the band and what they have to say. However, given the fact there was The Magic Whip documentary(which was a really good watch!) I don't see the need for this? Too be honest, I'm really not that excited about another Hyde Park DVD either and surely a gig like the Mode gig; where the album they are discussing was played in full would be a more fitting companion??

So basically, I'm looking forward to it because I will buy any new Blur stuff and I'm sure it will be good, but a bit bemused by it.

AstronomyD81

Post by AstronomyD81 » 19 Oct 2015, 21:19

After the excitement of something "new", yes, I have mixed emotions too :roll:

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 19 Oct 2015, 22:08

Of course it's a cash grab but it's new Blur footage after all. If we're lucky enough we'll get unheard material from the Hong Kong sessions and that's enough for me. Also the Hong Kong gig was screaming for an official release and it does seem like the whole thing was professionally shot.