Alex James appreciation

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

metalhipslop

Alex James appreciation

Post by metalhipslop » 16 Aug 2015, 04:56

I really feel he is way too underrated. the bass in blur is one of the things that got me so hook to the band. She's So high to Girls and Boys... I always listen mostly to the bass, since i'm a bassist.... Movin On and He Thought of Cars are probably the 2 best.

Probably already a thread like this but I want to say name again ALEX JAMES. He is a great bass player who is also a CHEESE farmer. I mean, Who doesn't love cheese and amazing bass playing!?!?!

She's So high to Girls and Boys
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Sushi

Re: Alex James appreciation

Post by Sushi » 16 Aug 2015, 05:19

I have been listening to The Magic Whip non stop this week and have actually been thinking this very thing! I couldn't agree more. He's one of the best bass players of all time. All of his basslines are basically hooks and there are so many songs that just wouldn't be without Alex. No Girls and Boys, no Go Out, no Entertain Me, no Ghost Ship; a LOT of the Magic Whip's great sound in general is due to his playing. It MOVES, man. It's all over the place and it perfectly fills in the spaces.

On top of that, he might actually be the number one Blur fan. :mrgreen:

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 16 Aug 2015, 14:55

You know people never mention Pressure On Julian when they're talking about Alex's basslines.
I'd say that bass riff is better than the guitar line and the whole song would fall flat without it!

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 16 Aug 2015, 21:34

This may sound like heresy but he's almost as essential to Blur's sound as Graham imo. The guy's just flawless.

rob_graves

Post by rob_graves » 17 Aug 2015, 20:27

Alex is one of the best.

thespider

Post by thespider » 17 Aug 2015, 20:58

OK quick question,

Can anyone name a British bass player from the 90s who's as well renowned/as good as him?

No I can't either.
Last edited by thespider on 17 Aug 2015, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 17 Aug 2015, 21:46

It's a shame - I think Alex's reputation in the media precedes him. It casts a bit of a shadow over his bass playing which, as you say, is beyond most from the 90s, or for that matter lots of bands from other eras too.

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 18 Aug 2015, 14:10

Good thread. 8-)

Steven(Alex) is one of my favourite bass players.
I love these great basslines: There's No Other Way, Popscene, Star Shaped, For Tomorrow, Colin Zeal, Pressure On Julian, Girls & Boys, End Of A Century, He Thought Of Cars, Entertain Me, Beetlebum, M.O.R., Movin' On, Bugman, Coffee & TV, Brothers & Sisters, Ghost Ship, etc.

Also, his wonderful book "A Bit of a Blur" is one of my fave books. I enjoy every page of it.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 18 Aug 2015, 15:16

I have to say that maybe because of Alex James I started to really enjoy blur... The bass line in "Jets" is incredible and was one of the reasons I initially fell in love with "Think Tank'... His other performances are great as well, and they are well listed higher, but the "Jets" one... This was a starter for me. Simple and awesome
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 18 Aug 2015, 21:07

I forgot to mention Chemical World's bassline. I like that one. :P

thespider

Post by thespider » 18 Aug 2015, 21:54

As far as I'm concerned, the bass line to Girls & Boys is the closest anyone's ever got to "Good Times" by Chic.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 19 Aug 2015, 01:38

Alex is a great author, A bit of a blur is a wonderful book from front to back. He's just a fantastic guy, couldn't ask for better!

munch

Post by munch » 19 Aug 2015, 04:24

JAIME wrote:Good thread. 8-)

Steven(Alex) is one of my favourite bass players.
I love these great basslines: There's No Other Way, Popscene, Star Shaped, For Tomorrow, Colin Zeal, Pressure On Julian, Girls & Boys, End Of A Century, He Thought Of Cars, Entertain Me, Beetlebum, M.O.R., Movin' On, Bugman, Coffee & TV, Brothers & Sisters, Ghost Ship, etc.

Also, his wonderful book "A Bit of a Blur" is one of my fave books. I enjoy every page of it.

might have to read that again!
Also, to this day.... never knew he was called steven *mind blown*
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 22 Aug 2015, 06:54

101reykjavik wrote:It's a shame - I think Alex's reputation in the media precedes him. It casts a bit of a shadow over his bass playing which, as you say, is beyond most from the 90s, or for that matter lots of bands from other eras too.
Yes, he has 'celebrity' status, probably more than Damon does. He is the sort who would appear on 'cheesy' TV shows (in more than one sense.... :P )
JAIME wrote:Steven(Alex) is one of my favourite bass players.
Interesting point because his book, like a lot of autobiographies written while their career is still current, is a bit uneven. Jumping from one situation to another, the chronology may be incorrect. Then again, he did call it 'Bit Of A Blur'. Chris Evans and Tim Burgess books are the same.

Whereas the biographies by Loiuse Wener and (surprisingly?) Shaun Ryder are much more specific.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

rich

Post by rich » 25 Aug 2015, 17:42

yes Alex is bloody good, I love his bass playing - but I'm not sure he's the best bass player in blur ;)
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405