Songs that should have been Singles

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

MsMagicAmerica

Re: Songs that should have been Singles

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 17 Aug 2015, 13:39

Young & Lovely
Tame
Ambulance
Ice Cream Man
Trouble in the Message Centre
This is a Low
Strange News from Another Star
Battle
He Thought of Cars

tender

Post by tender » 17 Aug 2015, 17:33

Agreed with everyone saying Ambulance should have beena single , way better than Crazy Beat..

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 17 Aug 2015, 18:05

for the hundredth time i must reiterate that money makes me crazy is catchy as fuck
in 2003 society it could have hit big i'm sure of it (but today it would go limp ala-ong ong)

Mrbriggs

Post by Mrbriggs » 17 Aug 2015, 18:23

davidsutter wrote:for the hundredth time i must reiterate that money makes me crazy is catchy as fuck
in 2003 society it could have hit big i'm sure of it (but today it would go limp ala-ong ong)
Even if it wasn't a single, I've always thought it should have replaced Crazy Beat on the album. In my opinion it's a much better song, and it still would have been an upbeat, fun song to keep the album balanced out. It would've been a good single too.

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 17 Aug 2015, 18:47

For me:

Never Clever
Sing
High Cool
Advert
Star Shaped
Coping
Badhead
Jubilee
This Is A Low
Best Days
Mr. Robinson's Quango
It Could Be You
Entertain Me
Ultranol
You're So Great
Chinese Bombs
Movin' On
Bugman
Colours
I Broadcast
Ghost Ship
Pyongyang

sebastianZeal

Post by sebastianZeal » 17 Aug 2015, 18:49

Ice Cream Man
Brothers and Sisters
Bugman
Movin On
It Could Be You
Clover Over Dover

tender

Post by tender » 17 Aug 2015, 18:59

Mrbriggs wrote:
davidsutter wrote:for the hundredth time i must reiterate that money makes me crazy is catchy as fuck
Even if it wasn't a single, I've always thought it should have replaced Crazy Beat on the album. In my opinion it's a much better song, and it still would have been an upbeat, fun song to keep the album balanced out. It would've been a good single too.

Back in 2003 I didn´t dislike Crazy Beat , today it makes me cringe, just can´t listen to it and to think I even got a Crazy Beat T :oops: :oops: :oops:
Styopa wrote: Of course there are many other songs that could have been singles like Blue Jeans, Badhead, Tracy Jacks, He Thought Of Cars, It Could Be You, Death of A Party, Trimm Trabb, Bugman, but finding space for them would have been difficult.
Agreed on all of those

wonder if Sing would have been a good single or maybe it would have been ahead of time ?? it´s a fantastic song and one of my favourites live , wish they would always play that one

Peter Zeal

Post by Peter Zeal » 17 Aug 2015, 20:16

Ambulance instead of crazy beat is a good call. I would have liked the following to be singles:
sing
wear me down
colin zeal
this is a low
it could be you
movin' on
bugman
ambulance
all we want
i broadcast
pyonyang

thespider

Post by thespider » 17 Aug 2015, 21:11

• For Leisure, I'd put I Know on the album and put it out as a single instead of Bang.
  • For MLIR, I'd have put Coping out instead of Sunday Sunday. The band probably agree with me.
  • For Parklife- This is a Low instead of End of a Century.
  • For TGE, It Could Be You instead of Charmless Man
  • For 13, a 3 minute single edit Bugman with all that white noise bollocks in the middle taken off rather than No Distance Left To Run (and it could have been a big rock chart hit in America).
  • At least three songs from Think Tank should have been a single instead of Crazy Beat. i.e.: On My Way To The Club, Battery In Your Leg, Ambulance, Sweet Song....
  • For the Best Of, a cut down 4 minute edit of Black Book instead of MIMR.
  • And as for The Magic Whip....well I don't even understand how the singles market works anymore (and I don't think Blur do or their management) so I can't comment.
So yeah with 25 years of hindsight, the only album where I feel the choice of singles was correct was the self titled.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 17 Aug 2015, 22:53

"I Know" was already a single. It's just that, for some reason, it wasn't included on the British version of the album, so no one really acknowledges it.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

thespider

Post by thespider » 18 Aug 2015, 07:42

Ah yes, good point. Bloody hell you could almost do a whole album of Blur's "lost" songs couldn't you?

simon james

Post by simon james » 19 Aug 2015, 12:07

Look inside America
Best Days

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 22 Aug 2015, 07:05

thespider wrote:And as for The Magic Whip....well I don't even understand how the singles market works anymore (and I don't think Blur do or their management) so I can't comment.
Interesting point. Even in the mid 90s, it was said that the singles chart "doesn't mean as much as it used to". Maybe the Blur vs Oasis chart battle was a plan to invigorate it?

Since then, the relevance of the singles chart has probably decreased further.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

munch

Post by munch » 27 Aug 2015, 23:41

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
thespider wrote:And as for The Magic Whip....well I don't even understand how the singles market works anymore (and I don't think Blur do or their management) so I can't comment.
Interesting point. Even in the mid 90s, it was said that the singles chart "doesn't mean as much as it used to". Maybe the Blur vs Oasis chart battle was a plan to invigorate it?

Since then, the relevance of the singles chart has probably decreased further.
I assume it's instead of buying physical singles now you have to buy digital songs for them to get higher in the charts. But people don't buy the singles they only buy the albums now... so i'm not sure how things get on the radio anymore either. Westway made it onto the radio a few times because it was a single I thought and it's all we had to buy.

So based on my theory, with how well Magic Whip sold we should be hearing every single song from it on the radio all of the time!
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 29 Aug 2015, 00:30

Fun fact: Bugman could have been a single and still made the top 40.