The Magic Whip: 4 Months On

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

tom_cas1

Re: The Magic Whip: 4 Months On

Post by tom_cas1 » 14 Aug 2015, 23:47

Still can't get over someone thinking the album is a 3 out or 10. I mean...STOP TAKING DRUGS.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

dunkaroo02

Post by dunkaroo02 » 15 Aug 2015, 16:20

don't like it as much as I did when it first came out...it's the first album they've put out that lacks a really great track (even Leisure and Think Tank had Sing and Out of Time). If Damon's songwriting had been more focused I think this could've been a 9/10, as it stands I think it's like a 6.5/10.

Miki

Post by Miki » 16 Aug 2015, 01:13

I stand by what I said before. I confess I haven't listened to it since June, though :oops:

It was a big build up to Hyde Park and then I kind of moved on to other things, listened to other records. I'll have to give it a spin.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 16 Aug 2015, 04:08

Most of the time I listen to the album with shitty iPod headphones and it sounds good. On CD with my retro 90's surround sound stereo it sounds 10x better. Especially Go Out. My god!
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Sushi

Post by Sushi » 16 Aug 2015, 05:25

MrMagpie wrote:^I'm with you guys...I LOVE the album but for me it's middle of the pack when ranked against every other Blur album. That's more a testament to how stunning the rest of their albums are than a knock on the Magic Whip. Apart from two clunkers on the album (and even those I can tolerate easily), it's as great an album from Blur as we ever could have possibly expected in 2015.
Well said!

What's really wonderful to think about is that the album (technically) came together in such a short period of time. A few days of jamming, a week or two of editing, and the addition of lyrics in another couple of days; I mean.... imagine what a new album would sound like if they actually labored over it together for a couple of months. The Magic Whip is fantastic, especially for us loyal fans, but if they were to do one more... Oh MAN. It would be glorious. It would shake the whole f**king world.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 16 Aug 2015, 13:45

Who is to say an album would have sounded better if it had taken them a few months to write/record? More time doesn't necessarily mean more quality.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 16 Aug 2015, 14:47

Lonesome Street - 10/10
Some of Streety's best-ever production right here. Elements of Blur styles past colliding with none of them seeming forced. Also a catchy song in general.

New World Towers - 7/10
This one seems a little lazy between the jolts of Lonesome Street and Go Out. I think I would have put it later. And I still think the live version's better.

Go Out - 9/10
I used to think the lyrics were stupid but now I can't help but sing along. Graham's guitar sound is killer, love the delay on the drums..

Ice Cream Man - 10/10
As a Gorillaz fan I appreciate the minimalist electronic sound of the intro and when it builds it's just overwhelming.

Thought I Was A Spaceman - 9/10
This is the big jam track of the record, would probably fit snugly on 13 if not for the drum machine in the beginning.

I Broadcast - 8/10
The live version is still better to my taste, this one just seems tame in comparison.

My Terracotta Heart - 9/10
This song has a similar downtempo Damon solo vibe to New World Towers but everything just works better here.

There Are Too Many Of Us - 8.5/10
It does what it sets out to for the most part, I think I would have pushed for more realistic sounding strings but there's not a lot to critique here.

Ghost Ship - 10/10
This is the last thing I expected from Blur but it turned out fantastic. Highlights include Graham's sax and the little synth line.

Pyongyang - 9.5/10
The point five goes to the live version because that's literally perfect to me.

Ong Ong - 9/10
I was a little worried about this one from the early live versions but it turned out to be Damon's best big dumb pop song since Plastic Beach.

Mirrorball 9/10
I still like the spaghetti western feel of this track. Not the strongest on the album but it works as a closer.

Y'all Doomed - 7.5/10
This isn't really polished to the 'finished song' level but it's still kind of cool in it's own way.

I'd call TMW my third favorite behind the self-titled and MLIR.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 16 Aug 2015, 21:54

Let's do this.

Lonesome Street: 8,5/10. Catchy. fun and Graham's parts are awesome. I wish his solo was louder but you can still hear it anyway.
New World Towers: 6/10. Probably my favourite live song and my least favourite studio recording. This is why you shouldn't record songs before playing them live.
Go Out: 8/10. It's grown on me. I love the bassline and Graham's guitar parts and Damon's lazy vocals fit in quite well.
Ice Cream Man: 8/10. Classic TGE/Parklife Blur.
TIWAS: 9/10. The 'walked into a bar and raised hell' with the drums and bass coming in might be one my favourite moments in a Blur record.
I Broadcast: 6/10. A bit rushed and the chorus is not good enough to be repeated four times. I like how young Damon sounds on the first line though.
My Terracotta Heart: 8,5/10. Classic melancholic Blur. Strong melody and words by Damon, great arrangements by the rest of the band. Big props to Graham -his guitar line is great and I think he also recorded the bass.
TATMOU: 8/10. It's Blur being different, which I love. A tad repetitive but still a great song.
Ghost Ship: 9,5/10. I love you, Alex.
Pyongyang: 8,5/10. It's better than I give it credit for. Nice lyrics, nice feeling overall and the last chorus sends shivers down my spine.
Ong Ong: 8,5/10. Yes it is three chords but who cares, it's so damn catchy. It does sound a bit weird though, I'd rather listen to the live version even if Damon always sings the lalala's out of tune.
Mirrorball: 8/10. Great closer with lovely string arrangements.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 17 Aug 2015, 07:34

It is a nice listen in the car, and preferable to most radio stations.

I give it a medium ranking because it lacks the buzz of the best 90s albums.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Mrbriggs

Post by Mrbriggs » 17 Aug 2015, 15:53

I love the album, but I'd probably rank it somewhere in the middle of the other Blur albums, probably because it doesn't (for me) have a stand-out track.

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 18 Aug 2015, 12:24

davidsutter wrote:I'd call TMW my third favorite behind the self-titled and MLIR.
Snap.

munch

Post by munch » 19 Aug 2015, 03:37

Still good to me. I was way sick of plastic beach by this time haha. Pyongyang, both live and studio are constantly on play. As well as Icecream man, go out and ghost ship.

My list, 1 is the BESSTTT

1. Go Out
2. Pyongyang
3. There are too many of us
4. Ghost Ship
5. Ice Cream Man
6. New World Towers
7. Lonesome Street
8. Thought I was a spaceman
9. Mirrorball
10. Ong Ong
11. I Broadcast
12. My Terracotta Heart (Would have been higher if the drums were not so upfront the whole time i think

Suppose while i'm here ill rank it with albums

1. Blur
2. Parklife
3. The Magic Whip
4. Think Tank
5. The Great Escape
6. 13
7. Modern Life is Rubbish
8. Leisure
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 22 Aug 2015, 06:38

Mrbriggs wrote:it doesn't (for me) have a stand-out track.
I agree. Then again, like The Beatles, Blur have always been about the album as a whole. And not individual songs.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 23 Aug 2015, 20:45

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
Mrbriggs wrote:it doesn't (for me) have a stand-out track.
I agree. Then again, like The Beatles, Blur have always been about the album as a whole. And not individual songs.
The Beatles had a LOAD of great individual songs. The list is endless.

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 24 Aug 2015, 12:03

Nobody's saying The Beatles don't have tunes but I agree, their best albums are cohesive bodies of work better than the sum of their parts.