The Magic Whip: 4 Months On

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Daysleeper

Re: The Magic Whip: 4 Months On

Post by Daysleeper » 14 Aug 2015, 07:36

Well, I have to say that after 4 months I love the album!!

When it was first released I was slightly disappointed as I always expect perfection from Blur, even though that is unattainable.

However, I soon fell in love with the album and at this stage I definitely think it is in my top 3 albums.(It won't get near to 13)

My favourite songs have changed quite a bit and one or two I am not too fussed about, but overall I think it is an a brilliant piece of work given the circumstances it was created in.

I love Go Out, Ice Cream Man, Thought I was a spaceman, There are too many of us, Ghost Ship and Mirrorball.

I really like Pyongyang (I just don't think the album version does the studio version justice), New World Towers (Very under-rated and Graham's guitars are beautiful on this one.), Lonesome Street (I never cared for this at first but it has really grown on me, it is infectious) and Ong Ong.

For me the downside to the album is a slight slump it has in the middle, I do like My Terracotta Heart but I can't go beyond that, however for me by far the weakest song on the album is I Broadcast. I don't like the production on it and i'm not a big fan of Damon's vocal delivery and especially the line '....all for a cold sore'.

Overall though, I couldn't be happier and am so glad we got this, Think Tank was never the way to end this band and whilst I really hope they make more albums if they don't, this is a much better way to end. No matter what I will always have the 'What if they did another' though, especially when the album ends with Mirrorball a song which displays the darker side to Blur which I love.

Definitely an 8.5 album for me.

JackS

Post by JackS » 14 Aug 2015, 08:08

I always said it challenges the very best of Blur for me, and 4 months on it still does.

I genuinely think it might be my favourite Blur album.

Spaceman was really underwhelming for me for a long while, I just didn't connect with it in the way that I could with, say, Battle. But - I am definitely won over to it now. The only song that doesn't reach the same heights as the rest in my opinion is I Broadcast.

Go Out is an instant classic, Pyongyang and Mirrorball are up there with the very best, and TATMOU is so different for Blur that it just shows they still have that creative streak.

New World Towers is so under-rated. It's beautiful. And MTH in my opinion is better on the studio than live, that opening percussion gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 14 Aug 2015, 08:10

tom_cas1 wrote:
elasticaman wrote:Yes

Considering the best song (Pyongyang) is a 7, and the rest is all 3rd rate filler yes

For anyone to class this alongside self titled, think tank and 13 is beyond me.

It is not an album I will play regularly.If it wasn't for the blur name I wouldn't own it

Considering other albums that have been released this year it's way way down the list, and 2015 has been a fucking awful year in music

Thank god for sufjan Stevens

Call it a 9 if that's how u feel about it
And I'll call it as I see it too
I genuinely don't understand how anyone can rate The Magic Whip 3 out of 10. 3rd rate filler tracks? Nah.
Let's not get into this again. :lol: We know elasticaman has some unusual opinions...

thespider

Post by thespider » 14 Aug 2015, 09:02

I love TMW. 8/10

I'd definitely put it above Leisure and Think Tank and on a par with TGE. But it's definitely not in the same league as MLIR, Parklife, 13 or self titled, all of which are 9/10.

My only criticism (and that's too strong a word) is that with the exceptions of Lonesome Street and Ong Ong, I just wish it had a couple more classic Blur pop singles on it. Not complaining though. If the Magic Whip is their last album, I'm not that sad about it because it's definitely gives the band closure.
Last edited by thespider on 14 Aug 2015, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.

AstronomyD81

Post by AstronomyD81 » 14 Aug 2015, 10:56

Atfer 4 months I still love it, even more now!!definitely a grower...my favourites are almost the same than the first time I heard the album: pyongyang, spaceman, ghost ship, ice cream man and mirrorball but I have to add go out too!, great opener song.

Styopa

Post by Styopa » 14 Aug 2015, 12:24

On reflection, I think The Magic Whip is a very good album rather than a great album. I think It lacks the focus and intensity of the best albums they produced at their creative peak, but it is still a very strong, enjoyable and cohesive piece of work. I find it consistently good, with the exception, perhaps, of I Broadcast but rarely ever great. Pyongyang is the album's shining moment but Go Out, Thought I Was A Spaceman, My Terracotta Heart, There Are Too Many of Us, Ghost Ship and Mirrorball are all very good indeed. Some of the tracks, notably
Thought I was A Spaceman and There Are Too Many of Us, sound as if they would have benefited from a bit more work in the studio; both of those tracks should soar but ultimately never break out from within themselves. Pleasingly though, the album continues Blur's tradition of reinventing themselves while still retailing the quintessential Blur sound and it can sit proudly within their cannon.

So in terms of placing it within the context of their other work, I would say it falls well short of their very best albums - Modern Life Is Rubbish, Parklife, Blur and 13 - all of which are classic albums and have had a huge influence on British popular music. I think it is much more satisfying and accomplished work than either Leisure or Think Tank. And, I think it is on about a par with The Great Escape. The Great Escape has more and greater highs - Best Days, The Universal, He Thought of Cars - but The Magic Whip is a little more consistent.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 14 Aug 2015, 13:49

Tier 1: 13, MLIR, dare I say TGE
Tier 2: Think Tank
Tier 3: The Magic Whip, Parklfie
Tier 4 : Blur
Tier 5: Leisure

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 14 Aug 2015, 13:59

AdvertBreak wrote:Tier 4 : Blur
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 14 Aug 2015, 14:25

Styopa wrote:On reflection, I think The Magic Whip is a very good album rather than a great album. I think It lacks the focus and intensity of the best albums they produced at their creative peak, but it is still a very strong, enjoyable and cohesive piece of work. I find it consistently good, with the exception, perhaps, of I Broadcast but rarely ever great. Pyongyang is the album's shining moment but Go Out, Thought I Was A Spaceman, My Terracotta Heart, There Are Too Many of Us, Ghost Ship and Mirrorball are all very good indeed. Some of the tracks, notably
Thought I was A Spaceman and There Are Too Many of Us, sound as if they would have benefited from a bit more work in the studio; both of those tracks should soar but ultimately never break out from within themselves. Pleasingly though, the album continues Blur's tradition of reinventing themselves while still retailing the quintessential Blur sound and it can sit proudly within their cannon.

So in terms of placing it within the context of their other work, I would say it falls well short of their very best albums - Modern Life Is Rubbish, Parklife, Blur and 13 - all of which are classic albums and have had a huge influence on British popular music. I think it is much more satisfying and accomplished work than either Leisure or Think Tank. And, I think it is on about a par with The Great Escape. The Great Escape has more and greater highs - Best Days, The Universal, He Thought of Cars - but The Magic Whip is a little more consistent.
I'm with you on this, really. An album of generally good songs but nothing great.
Am amazed that some people are putting it up there with the best Blur albums - to me it doesn't come close. (6/10)

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 14 Aug 2015, 14:35

^I'm with you guys...I LOVE the album but for me it's middle of the pack when ranked against every other Blur album. That's more a testament to how stunning the rest of their albums are than a knock on the Magic Whip. Apart from two clunkers on the album (and even those I can tolerate easily), it's as great an album from Blur as we ever could have possibly expected in 2015.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 14 Aug 2015, 14:41

TripleJay97 wrote:
I'm not a massive fan of s/t either (really muddy to my ears). Damon was trying to do more rocky songs, but his voice was still in Britpop mode. If Blur re-recorded that entire album today, it would (mostly) be an improvement.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 14 Aug 2015, 16:22

Forever Low Man wrote:
TripleJay97 wrote:
I'm not a massive fan of s/t either (really muddy to my ears). Damon was trying to do more rocky songs, but his voice was still in Britpop mode. If Blur re-recorded that entire album today, it would (mostly) be an improvement.
Hmm interesting point. I personally love the album (8/10) but I'd be very interested to hear the vocals re-recorded.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 14 Aug 2015, 18:40

Love the Magic whip 8/10 from me still and my fourth favourite blur album

1 MLIR
2 13
3 blur
4 TMW
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 14 Aug 2015, 19:18

specifically "song 2"

that'd be kinda funny
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 14 Aug 2015, 20:10

MrMagpie wrote:Apart from two clunkers on the album (and even those I can tolerate easily), it's as great an album from Blur as we ever could have possibly expected in 2015.
Agree with you completely. Only about 2 songs I don't particularly care for (there's usually always a track or two I'll skip on any album), and even those are fine songs. I still stand with my 8/10 for the album. Easily my favorite album of 2015 thus far (and will probably be my favorite at the end of the year still), it's still a complete joy to listen to. Made even better when you remember the sheer surprise of The Magic Whip's existence! :D