Favourite Blur Shows You've Attended

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

tom_cas1

Favourite Blur Shows You've Attended

Post by tom_cas1 » 01 Aug 2015, 18:20

As most of us love to make lists and ranking things, which Blur shows that you've attended have been your favourite?

MODE, 2015: #1 for me, the chance to hear a new Blur album from start to finish for the first time was beyond a dream.

100 Club, 2012: Right at the front for this one and soaked in sweat and Damon's water after two songs! Just incredible, so much energy in the crowd and the band during the whole show.

Goldsmiths, 2009: Absolutely fantastic, a bit like the 100 Club in terms of energy.

Wolverhampton, 2015: A sublime setlist where they had new songs amongst their old songs for the first time since 2003, not including Under The Westway/The Puritan. A great show!

Hyde Park, 2009: This was my 3rd Blur show in 2009 and the 1st where it really hit me...I'M AT A BLUR SHOW!! I'll never forget thinking that during The Universal. I may have weeped.

Wolverhampton, 2012: I took my parents to this one and they loved it, it was great to see Blur with them. My dad got me into them in 1997 so it was great to pay him back.

Southend, 2009: I hate that my first Blur show is this far down my list especially as it was FANTASTIC and mind blowing. Battery In Your Leg was a special moment.

Blackpool, 2015: A great show musically but the boys were let down by the barrier incident. Still, no real complaints. Beetlebum was sublime!

Hyde Park, 2012: I enjoyed it but due to the sound it's the one I think about the least. Plus hearing people talk through Caramel made me angry.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Consigliere_11

Re: Favourite Blur Shows You've Attended

Post by Consigliere_11 » 01 Aug 2015, 20:19

I've attended only one in 2013, so... I guess it's an easy choice :lol:
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 01 Aug 2015, 20:46

Here goes....

Ally Pally Oct 1994 : second time I saw them and my all time favourite and they were on the rise! I was on the left hand side near the front and it was just one crazy sweaty night, Remember being pushed around, pogoing and falling to the four a lot! Still have my ticket stub/ programme and bingo ticket to this day. Great days!

Reading August 1993 : first time I saw them live. I had heard of them before but that performance I light was switched on and it changed me as a person from clothes to musical tastes I was totally hooked on British indie music! Who knew what was to follow in 1994.....

Wembley December 1997: right at the front and the gig was flawless (and not so many young girls with teddy bears during the britpop years)

Hyde Park June 2015: thought I would never get right at the front of an "event" gig and never thought I would see the day blur playing live material again! Had an absolute blast....but It did find out that I'm 43 not 23 when moshing to Parklife!!!

Wolves Civic July 2012: My first blur gig since 1999. Quite a emotional night thinking about old mates and the times had. Great night and the band were perfect(also remember a car hitting a bollard outside before the gig and wrecking it!).

Wembley Dec 1995: at the front again but to the side with My good friend Sally(who we met up again thanks to Facebook and went to Graham's gig in oxford in 2012 and Hyde Park 2012).taken in on the britpop ride and loved it all in 94/95/96....Crazy mad times!

Wembley Dec 1999: Singles night: I got in late, at the back and drunk! Don't remember much but wasn't into it that night. It sounded good and lesson learned for Mark.

Hyde Park Aug 2012: not great gig for me. At the back, overcrowded with what seemed non blur fans. and the sound where we were was shit. One bonus was going with My good friend Sally who I hadn't seen since December 1995! We went to this and Graham's gig in Oxford in April . We are great mates to this day( thank fook for Facebook!!)
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 01 Aug 2015, 23:58

Pista Atlética Estadio Nacional, Santiago, 2013: My 1rst Blur gig after the cancelled gig in late 1999. The night before I chat with Dave and Smoggy. I was right at the front, 1 meter from Damon during Country House. Beck supported Blur, and the band were in a great mood. When This Is a Low started, I felt so so emotional. I loved every song and everything that happened that day. 23.000 Chileans fans singing every song, jumping and shouting, unforgettable days! At the end of the show I was completely sweaty but absolutely happy, and I had the chance to chat briefly with Alex, Mike and Phil Daniels :P :D

Hyde Park, London, 2015: I arrived to the Hyde Park at 11:30 am, so I was lucky enough to stay right at the front again, in the "2nd row" behind 2 other Chilean fans that I didn't meet before. The sound was brilliant, but I don't think the fans enjoyed as much as my compatriots did in Chile in 2013, because most part of the people close to me only sang the hits, but not the new ones and some old songs. I had the chance to touch Damon twice during Trimm Trabb, but I couldn't get any ice cream :mrgreen: I loved to chat with hardcore fans from so many different countries (China, Brazil, Portugal, Wales, Sweden, etc.)

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 03 Aug 2015, 09:12

Mark 72 - that is a great list of gigs from across the life of the band.

And there is me, I've only seen them live once :oops: (8th December 1995, Newcastle Arena).

It was a good show (for an arena gig). There was evidence at one point of Graham's disenchantment in that period - he was having a verbal disagreement with Damon about something between songs, which came through the mic's. It didn't affect the performance.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 03 Aug 2015, 10:14

One of the biggest regret I have about blur was not going to the think tank tour as I'm a big fan of Graham and one of those who thought it wasn't blur without Graham. Very silly of me thinking back now.

Edit:- It also so great to see new generation of blur fans coming through and enjoying the gigs and discovering the music since the '09 reunion.
Last edited by Mark72 on 03 Aug 2015, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

JackS

Post by JackS » 03 Aug 2015, 12:34

Goldsmiths 2009 - The sheer energy, how emotionally charged the whole thing was... and the sweat. I'd avoided looking at the other setlists, so hearing Tracy Jacks, Oily Water, etc etc blew me away.

Margate 2012 - Brilliant fun. London Loves, as one of my favourite Blur songs, was a great surprise and hearing new material for the first time in a long time was great. The Puritan also a highlight, believe it or not.

Brighton Centre 2003 - While it pales in comparison to now, it was my first Blur gig and so I loved it. Some great song choices. While I was never able to find the full setlist anywhere, I clearly remember Sing, MIMR, Ambulance as being highlights.

Hyde Park 2015 - It may have been raining, it may have cost a fortune, it may have been crowd-pleaser heavy: but it was Blur playing material from a new album (!) and that easily makes it into my list of best gigs.

(My favourite Blur-related gigs are Gorillaz at Brighton Old Market in 2010, Graham at the Forum in 2012, GBQ at the Tower of London in whenever that was and obviously Damon at the RAH in 2014)

Leahscarlet2

Post by Leahscarlet2 » 03 Aug 2015, 13:14

Hyde Park 2015 is the only time (so far!) that I've seen them and I still cant quite believe it. I was front row and it was just incredible. They could've played any of their songs and I wouldn't have minded..in fact it wasn't until the following morning I was thinking back and id realised they'd not played Country House.
She's a well wisher and she wishes you well

Simon le bon

Post by Simon le bon » 03 Aug 2015, 14:01

Les Nuits de Fourvieres (Lyon) in 2009 was a very special moment.
The venue is great, in an antic roman theatre with very good vibes in it, no wonder why damon came here with almost all his bands (blur,TGTBTQ, The Honest Jon's Revue, The Heavy Seas). There was a massive pillow fight during song 2 (a local tradition). The whole crowd was obviously waiting for the song to start the fight, the guys onstage were first surprised but they had a good laugh
sweet memories

munch

Post by munch » 04 Aug 2015, 07:31

I've only attended 3 but this gig in Perth just gone was the best of them all. The whole thing was perfect from start to finish. Met lovely people, got to the front, did the nerdy hold Damon's hand thing, got a wave from dave and what an amazing setlist.

Second to that is 2009 Hyde Park. I was very ill but it was a sunny day and it was the first time I'd seen them. Plus the excitement of them getting back together. Amazing show.

Last is the Plymouth show 2012. It was ok but too many drunks and rude peoples.
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 Aug 2015, 08:44

Mark72 wrote: One of the biggest regret I have about blur was not going to the think tank tour as I'm a big fan of Graham and one of those who thought it wasn't blur without Graham. Very silly of me thinking back now.
I agree. Taking the wider view, Gorillaz is without Graham as well. What I mean is, Blur-Gorillaz-The Good The Bad & The Queen-Damon solo-Graham solo are all part of a wider overlapping 'family'.
Mark72 wrote: Edit:- It also so great to see new generation of blur fans coming through and enjoying the gigs and discovering the music since the '09 reunion.
Do a lot of members on the forum fall into this category? I detect a lot of people getting into Blur's 90s work retrospectively. Much like me with, say, 60s music.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

My Name Is Mud

Post by My Name Is Mud » 06 Aug 2015, 09:46

1 - The Point Theatre, Dublin - July 22nd 1999 First gig I ever went to. It was the 13 tour, I was aged 13. Amazing times.

2 - Kilmainham, Dublin 2013 Just great fun. Lovely crowd, everyone seemed up for it. Lost my mates just before Blur came on when I went for a wee, and the group of randy's I ended up around all seemed cool. :)

3 - Hyde Park 2012 Great set list, pretty great crowd, loved the stage set up and everything but the sound was shite. Far far too low.

4 - Oxegen 2009 - Kildare, Ireland Great set list again (same as HP 2009, minus Death of a Party) but the crowd were fucking terrible. Bunch of asshole kids waiting for Song 2 and caring about little else. Bastards.

Hopefully this years Electric Picnic performance will outshine all of them. :)