Gig: Perth Arena, 30 Jul 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

User avatar
munch
Posts: 1208
Joined: 24 Sep 2014, 12:14

Re: Gig: Perth, 30 July

Post by munch » 02 Aug 2015, 03:40

DannyAmerica wrote:The fact that we even got a new album at all is unreal. And being able to see them in my hometown while they were promoting it was something I never thought I would be able to experience. I really couldn't of asked for anything better.

<3
Can't thank Graham and Stephen enough really.
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
Image
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

User avatar
eloisekate
Posts: 47
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 01:55

Re: Gig: Perth, 30 July

Post by eloisekate » 04 Aug 2015, 12:13

DannyAmerica wrote:This is a little late but I just wanted to chime in on how incredible the show was on Thursday. I waited in line for over three hours but it was totally worth it to be standing right in front of Damon the whole night. The setlist was amazing, and the show just completely surpassed my expectations on every level.

The fact that we even got a new album at all is unreal. And being able to see them in my hometown while they were promoting it was something I never thought I would be able to experience. I really couldn't of asked for anything better.
Completely agree. I was waiting there for 3 hours as well and it was honestly one of the most wonderful nights I think I'll ever have. I hope they realise how incredibly happy they've made so many of us!

User avatar
munch
Posts: 1208
Joined: 24 Sep 2014, 12:14

Re: Gig: Perth, 30 July

Post by munch » 04 Aug 2015, 12:19

eloisekate wrote:
DannyAmerica wrote:This is a little late but I just wanted to chime in on how incredible the show was on Thursday. I waited in line for over three hours but it was totally worth it to be standing right in front of Damon the whole night. The setlist was amazing, and the show just completely surpassed my expectations on every level.

The fact that we even got a new album at all is unreal. And being able to see them in my hometown while they were promoting it was something I never thought I would be able to experience. I really couldn't of asked for anything better.
Completely agree. I was waiting there for 3 hours as well and it was honestly one of the most wonderful nights I think I'll ever have. I hope they realise how incredibly happy they've made so many of us!
I was there since 11am and someone else I met was there from 8am :O
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
Image
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

User avatar
eloisekate
Posts: 47
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 01:55

Re: Gig: Perth, 30 July

Post by eloisekate » 04 Aug 2015, 12:24

munch wrote:
eloisekate wrote:
DannyAmerica wrote:This is a little late but I just wanted to chime in on how incredible the show was on Thursday. I waited in line for over three hours but it was totally worth it to be standing right in front of Damon the whole night. The setlist was amazing, and the show just completely surpassed my expectations on every level.

The fact that we even got a new album at all is unreal. And being able to see them in my hometown while they were promoting it was something I never thought I would be able to experience. I really couldn't of asked for anything better.
Completely agree. I was waiting there for 3 hours as well and it was honestly one of the most wonderful nights I think I'll ever have. I hope they realise how incredibly happy they've made so many of us!
I was there since 11am and someone else I met was there from 8am :O
Wow, dedication! And to think I was beginning to get bored after 3 hours... hahaha

sugaryteatour
Posts: 2
Joined: 02 Aug 2015, 12:25

Re: Gig: Perth, 30 July

Post by sugaryteatour » 04 Aug 2015, 12:41

I was the idiot there from 8am. I'm naming and shaming MYSELF. Regardless, it was one of the best nights of my life. I met some wonderful, wonderful people (you know who you are) who encouraged me to stop skulking around the forum, as I have been for a few years, and actually join.

The show? I am both speechless and a gibbering mess. It was beautiful.

We got lots of little smiles from Graham, a wave from Dave and Damon held my sweaty little hand. So, if anyone has a video of Thought I Was A Spaceman, I would appreciate it very much, to confirm it actually happened, and wasn't just a fever dream. Now back to trawling through my pictures and videos and trying to fill the empty void in my chest left by that concert.

Also a shout out to the man in charge of the microphone cord. A hero.

User avatar
eloisekate
Posts: 47
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 01:55

Re: Gig: Perth, 30 July

Post by eloisekate » 04 Aug 2015, 12:49

That's not idiotic at all, if I could've been there at 8 I actually would've!

Ahh wow, that's lovely! Your 8am arrival definitely paid off!
We were off to the left of the stage. Damon grabbed my friend's hand next to me at one point, but alas my arm was too short to reach him and now I live in permanent jealousy. A security guard randomly handing me a setlist at the end made up for it all though :')

User avatar
meznez
Posts: 34
Joined: 29 Jul 2015, 14:06
Location: Western Australia

Re: Gig: Perth, 30 July

Post by meznez » 04 Aug 2015, 13:09

sugaryteatour wrote: Now back to trawling through my pictures and videos and trying to fill the empty void in my chest left by that concert. .
I feel the same way! Started to accept the fact that I must get back to day to day life though. Now that I've touched Damon the next step is meeting him so I'm telling myself I still have the possibility of that happening to look forward to! Gotta leave something on the bucket list.

Are any of you the person who brought cupcakes? That guy was rad but I had a muffin so I had to reject the delicious looking cupcakes.
Image

sugaryteatour
Posts: 2
Joined: 02 Aug 2015, 12:25

Re: Gig: Perth, 30 July

Post by sugaryteatour » 04 Aug 2015, 13:36

Whaaat? No! I didn't see any cupcakes! I wish I had! We had a bag of carrots that we shared with the punters, hahaha. Flying back to Adelaide was just awful, leaving the happy little bubble :(

Michael
Posts: 5
Joined: 25 Jul 2015, 23:59

Re: Gig: Perth, 30 July

Post by Michael » 05 Aug 2015, 01:59

I got a smile from Graham, we made eye contact and both looked away (or maybe just I looked away), looked back and made eye contact again. You know how it goes, and we both smiled. He might've noticed I spent most of the concert watching his guitar technique (he is one of my favourites).

Great show and quite a few non-musical highlights that people might not have noticed:

Damon running around to the side of the stage and running out of microphone cable. The roadie undid a bit of tape to give him more cord, Damon keeps going. The roadie starts panicking and making a signal that there is no more cable. Message not getting through (or maybe it is?). Tape used to hold the cable down on stage starts getting ripped up with the roadie panicking.

Damon jumping off Daves drum riser, losing his balance and knocking Alex over, who fell pretty hard and banged his bass on the ground. He got up with a smile but he didn't see it coming so would have got a shock.

Dave getting drenched by Damon, he copped two full bottles of water while smiling and not missing a beat.

Did anyone see Grahams backwards roll? No-one seemed to react. Did he just lose his balance? Anyway he didn't knock his guitar, got straight back up and continued playing.

Michael
Posts: 5
Joined: 25 Jul 2015, 23:59

Re: Gig: Perth, 30 July

Post by Michael » 05 Aug 2015, 02:29

sugaryteatour wrote:Whaaat? No! I didn't see any cupcakes! I wish I had! We had a bag of carrots that we shared with the punters, hahaha. Flying back to Adelaide was just awful, leaving the happy little bubble :(
That was Adam offering the cupcake (the guy with the Blur tattoo on his arm), remember we went to the side after the show and saw him there? He said he got a shout out and and was waiting with his wife/girlfriend to get in. I think he might have been on the wrong side, as I was walking back to my car I saw the guys who got on stage for Parklife walking out of the opposite side (not the public exit). That even made a UK newspaper:

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/new ... 5000-fans/

Also what does everyone think of this article:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/mu ... 7464657977

I thought the crowd was alright. Perth crowds are well known for sitting (don't stand if you have a seat, you'll soon be shouted at to sit down, towards the end of the show people usually get up). Saw the Beach Boys a couple of years ago and Mike Love commented that it looked like we were all sitting there like we were watching TV. It's just the laid back culture. Being at the front I want to watch the performance, if I want to dance like a lunatic I can do that from the back, but peoples opinions differ on this.

What did everyone else think? I know I lot of people attending weren't from Perth.

User avatar
meznez
Posts: 34
Joined: 29 Jul 2015, 14:06
Location: Western Australia

Re: Gig: Perth, 30 July

Post by meznez » 05 Aug 2015, 03:57

All of those moments were so great! I was right in front of Alex when he fell over and it looked like Damon jumped and propelled himself into Alex rather than falling on him! And I heard Adams shoutout, Damon said "Adam is family" or something along those lines.

I know the guy who we all sing happy birthday to! He was so unbelievably stoked when I was talking to him the next day.

I'm not too sure about that article, being at the bar it was hard to know what everyone behind me was doing. I thought the audience seemed pretty good though! People at the arena in seats do tend to sit but that doesn't mean that they aren't excited to be there. My mum was sitting and she was loving it.
The lack of big screens makes there be less motivation to stand I think. Standing for two hours for a concert where not all of the songs are dancey as well as not being able to see the performers clearly may be a little grating. If you want to stand you buy mosh tickets! But also Perth people are pretty chill in general, lots of people like enjoying music without making a spectacle.
Image

Michael
Posts: 5
Joined: 25 Jul 2015, 23:59

Re: Gig: Perth, 30 July

Post by Michael » 05 Aug 2015, 04:54

meznez wrote: I know the guy who we all sing happy birthday to! He was so unbelievably stoked when I was talking to him the next day.
So did the birthday guy and his mates get backstage after the show? If so what were they (the band) like?

I was next to Adam at the front, he's seems like a great guy. Are you on this board Adam?

Also met someone in line (sorry forgot your name), who as a pro photographer had all these backstage pics of the band. Said all the guys are great.

User avatar
meznez
Posts: 34
Joined: 29 Jul 2015, 14:06
Location: Western Australia

Re: Gig: Perth, 30 July

Post by meznez » 05 Aug 2015, 05:52

Nah they didn't get to go backstage after the show unfortunately! At least my friend didn't, we don't know the younger guys who got on stage
Image

User avatar
Caitlin
Moderator
Posts: 468
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 21:54

Re: Gig: Perth, 30 July

Post by Caitlin » 05 Aug 2015, 08:40

The lad's didn't get backstage. They waited around the arena exit with me for a bit and entertained themselves by pissing on walls. :)
Image

User avatar
101reykjavik
Posts: 5303
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 20:26
Location: Beautiful Somerset

Re: Gig: Perth, 30 July

Post by 101reykjavik » 05 Aug 2015, 09:18

Not standing at a Blur gig seems pretty weird to me. Really surprised a load of people in Perth would prefer this. :o
Image

Post Reply