Are Gorillaz going to affect Blur?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

tom_cas1

Re: Are Gorillaz going to affect Blur?

Post by tom_cas1 » 24 Jul 2015, 23:05

Royal Albert Hall would be amazing. No need for a support act, The Magic Whip in full to begin the proceedings, then a short 15 break, then a full 2 hour set to round off the evening. NGGGGGGGGGGG.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 25 Jul 2015, 07:13

It would indeed be a dream gig. The atmosphere last year was fantastic for Damon, especially when Graham showed up of course. So you can imagine how electric a Blur gig would be.

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 27 Jul 2015, 17:45

so since they seem to take two year breaks hows about a self-titled 20th anniversary tour

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 27 Jul 2015, 21:13

^ This. So many times this. Some bands go live and play their most significant albums from beginning to the end, and I would love to see that with self-titled LP in 2017. The other thing is that, unlike those other bands, blur are in a very strong creative shape and it's unlikely that they will do another "classic songs" tour like they did in 2012-2014
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 27 Jul 2015, 22:02

They haven't have any other anniversary album tours so not sure why they'd have one for the self titled. That said, if they came back in 2017 and we got less Britpop era and more self titled songs (including the odd b-side) in the setlists I'd be very happy. Oh and a new album. 8-)
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 27 Jul 2015, 22:56

Consigliere_11 wrote:^ This. So many times this. Some bands go live and play their most significant albums from beginning to the end, and I would love to see that with self-titled LP in 2017. The other thing is that, unlike those other bands, blur are in a very strong creative shape and it's unlikely that they will do another "classic songs" tour like they did in 2012-2014
Definitely NOT this for me. Perhaps I'm being unfair but I associate that kind of approach with bands that are no longer creating new material and are just on the nostalgia treadmill. As long as Blur are still a creative force, and I think the guys would never want the band any other way, I really can't see that happening.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 28 Jul 2015, 06:57

101reykjavik wrote:
Consigliere_11 wrote:^ This. So many times this. Some bands go live and play their most significant albums from beginning to the end, and I would love to see that with self-titled LP in 2017. The other thing is that, unlike those other bands, blur are in a very strong creative shape and it's unlikely that they will do another "classic songs" tour like they did in 2012-2014
Definitely NOT this for me. Perhaps I'm being unfair but I associate that kind of approach with bands that are no longer creating new material and are just on the nostalgia treadmill. As long as Blur are still a creative force, and I think the guys would never want the band any other way, I really can't see that happening.

Yeah, this is true. They will never do such a tour precisely because they are still creatively strong and will not do such a lazy thing as promoting the album which will be 20 years old. It's just one of those wishes which will never come true - I just want to hear "Essex Dogs" and "Strange News" live *sigh*
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 28 Jul 2015, 10:30

Though now that I think of it there's no way Damon could do the falsetto parts on Country Sad Ballad Man..

MTH is lower and he has trouble with it.

Ambulance

Post by Ambulance » 28 Jul 2015, 18:08

I dont enjoy Gorillaz music, and I dont understand the goal with gorillaz, i mean, its imposible for Damon to feel what he feels onstage with blur guys, doing the Gorillaz stuff. I can understand that he want to record a new record of gorillaz but, his band is and always will be Blur, so doing this little Magic Whip tour its kind of weird, considering how awesome Magic Whip record is. I´m not asking for a super big tour but i think that a few dates more are necessary. So less Gorillaz and more blur! :lol:

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 28 Jul 2015, 19:05

Yeah, this record is amazing and definitely deserves more promotion/shows/time in the album cycle in general.
But Damon's a rolling stone, what are you gonna do?

AstronomyD81

Post by AstronomyD81 » 28 Jul 2015, 19:37

Yep, me too I don't like Gorillaz either, not my thing but I understand that he wants to dedicate time to his other projects....but MW deserves more dates, !!

Ambulance

Post by Ambulance » 28 Jul 2015, 19:58

davidsutter wrote:Yeah, this record is amazing and definitely deserves more promotion/shows/time in the album cycle in general.
But Damon's a rolling stone, what are you gonna do?
There's nothing we can do more than complain here a little bit i guess ;) but i think that this record deserves more touring is a general feeling in the blur community, dont you think? Maybe we need to let them know how awesome this record is and that record deserves more gigs, i dont know....

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 28 Jul 2015, 20:28

Agree with you guys. Less Gorillaz, and more Blur gigs with more TMW songs and old B-sides :P 8-)

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 28 Jul 2015, 21:02

More of EVERYTHING. Damon is so brilliant because he does it all. I don't want Blur to vanish for an extended period like before of course. But a break (after a little return in the autumn for UK gigs ;) ) and I'll be happy for a good while whilst we enjoy some alternative projects - Gorillaz, TGTBATQ, Wonder.land. It's all great stuff potentially.

And if history shows this is where Blur breathed its last... well, what a way to go out.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 28 Jul 2015, 21:40

Love blur, Like gorillaz
These two rehearsal performances are just spot on

Tomorrow comes today
http://youtu.be/58Qh3MXfl20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Melancholy Hill
http://youtu.be/cpG6xCUkpAw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”