Are Gorillaz going to affect Blur?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Bathstreet

Re: Are Gorillaz going to affect Blur?

Post by Bathstreet » 29 Jul 2015, 12:51

I reckon there will be no more blur action for a few years now. But we've had a pretty good run since 2009, with gigs, the 21 box set and the new album and tour.

I would be quite happy if there was another TGTBATQ album. Loved the first one.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 29 Jul 2015, 13:03

I would be quite happy if there was another TGTBATQ album. Loved the first one.
Me too!
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Ambulance

Post by Ambulance » 29 Jul 2015, 13:06

The first TGTBATQ its fucking amazing, love that record, the song herculean stuck in my mind for a long time. Such a great record!!

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 29 Jul 2015, 22:05

101reykjavik wrote:More of EVERYTHING. Damon is so brilliant because he does it all. I don't want Blur to vanish for an extended period like before of course. But a break (after a little return in the autumn for UK gigs ;) ) and I'll be happy for a good while whilst we enjoy some alternative projects - Gorillaz, TGTBATQ, Wonder.land. It's all great stuff potentially.

And if history shows this is where Blur breathed its last... well, what a way to go out.
Agree with you completely. I love blur most of all, of course, but I can't wait to hear what new stuff Damon makes!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 Jul 2015, 09:03

Yes, I agree with this as well.

:idea: Damon is a very potent creative force. Whatever he does is always liable to be interesting and worthwhile. And the people he works with (whether in Blur, Gorillaz or elsewhere) are also good.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

AstronomyD81

Post by AstronomyD81 » 30 Jul 2015, 11:34

I'm not waiting for Gorillaz but it would be great if Graham makes another album, I love his solo music!

BADDAYLIVER

Post by BADDAYLIVER » 31 Jul 2015, 20:27

tom_cas1 wrote:Blur have never released a bad record and nor will they. They could easily keep going, their chemistry onstage during these shows has been the best since coming back in 2009. They're all loving it. If they decided to hit the studio tomorrow and start a new album I've no doubt whatsoever that it'd be a great album.
YES! :D
My image was too big.

BADDAYLIVER

Post by BADDAYLIVER » 31 Jul 2015, 20:31

Ambulance wrote:I dont enjoy Gorillaz music, and I dont understand the goal with gorillaz, i mean, its imposible for Damon to feel what he feels onstage with blur guys, doing the Gorillaz stuff. I can understand that he want to record a new record of gorillaz but, his band is and always will be Blur, so doing this little Magic Whip tour its kind of weird, considering how awesome Magic Whip record is. I´m not asking for a super big tour but i think that a few dates more are necessary. So less Gorillaz and more blur! :lol:
Hey Gorillaz is good! Well not better than Blur of course :oops:
My image was too big.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 01 Aug 2015, 02:52

Of course it will. It already has. Think Tank and songs like Ghost Ship wouldn't exist without the Gorillaz sound.

I have no idea whether Blur will make another album again. This is the best chance we've had since 2009 – even though we got a new record, that was a bullshit and rare and unlikely way for it to be made. They seem pretty confident in The Magic Whip's appeal and the shows are good fun. They can capitalise on that, but I could never begrudge them for wanting to end it on a good note.

I wouldn't say the existence of Gorillaz is going to alter that fact. Between the Magic Whip being put together and put out, Damon released a solo album, did some Africa Express gigs, wrote a musical... the guy literally works 9-5 on music. He'll always have time to churn out whatever he wants, and he can do a few things at once.

I reckon the strength of Everyday Robots and the new Blur album, but also their relative positive acclaim, will make the next Gorillaz album great. Not as good as Demon Days, but a big return to form.

Ambulance

Post by Ambulance » 01 Aug 2015, 10:09

BADDAYLIVER wrote:
Ambulance wrote:I dont enjoy Gorillaz music, and I dont understand the goal with gorillaz, i mean, its imposible for Damon to feel what he feels onstage with blur guys, doing the Gorillaz stuff. I can understand that he want to record a new record of gorillaz but, his band is and always will be Blur, so doing this little Magic Whip tour its kind of weird, considering how awesome Magic Whip record is. I´m not asking for a super big tour but i think that a few dates more are necessary. So less Gorillaz and more blur! :lol:
Hey Gorillaz is good! Well not better than Blur of course :oops:
For me not. I prefer "The Good The Bad And The Queen" project, cause the Gorillaz stuff isn´t my cup of tea.

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 01 Aug 2015, 23:34

Ambulance wrote:For me not. I prefer "The Good The Bad And The Queen" project, cause the Gorillaz stuff isn´t my cup of tea.
Same here.

If one of Damon's projects going to affect Blur, I'd prefer TGTB&TQ.

BADDAYLIVER

Post by BADDAYLIVER » 04 Aug 2015, 21:20

JAIME wrote:
Ambulance wrote:For me not. I prefer "The Good The Bad And The Queen" project, cause the Gorillaz stuff isn´t my cup of tea.
Same here.

I don't know The Good, The Bad & The Queen is too Damon. And obviously Damon alone is not Blur :/
My image was too big.

xdrake24

Post by xdrake24 » 05 Aug 2015, 03:09

JAIME wrote:
Same here.

I forget what interview it was, but didn't damon say he finished writing another GBQ album as well? it would be cool to get it in 2017, 10 years after the first!

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 05 Aug 2015, 16:00

Yep he did, in this interview from last October: http://m.smh.com.au/entertainment/music ... 16can.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry, I'm in Canada right now so I'm on mobile

Fred Perry

Post by Fred Perry » 05 Aug 2015, 20:09

Blur will be back as a creative band again. I expect them to release more music in the future. The bond of the band is now so strong that none of them would want to let it go. I always felt that there would be another record pre Magic Whip and with Graham taking the reigns and showing the rest of them that he want's to commit himself and has his head on Blur fully. "Graham's back!!!" This quote was made by Damon when he was talking about how the album and it stuck in my mind as being a really big thing between them and was a massive step forward.