Demon Days... Oh My God.

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

TripleJay97

Re: Demon Days... Oh My God.

Post by TripleJay97 » 19 Jun 2015, 21:06

You have to admit, the lyrics improved after Leisure.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 19 Jun 2015, 21:12

I never really got into Gorillaz until the first Blur reunion was over, which sort of was at the same time that Plastic Beach was going to be released. I do remember listening to this album (in 2009 I didn't care at all for rap and was one of those awful scumbags who think that rap is not even music :lol: ) and being immediately blown away, I just had to change my mind. Although I love Plastic Beach and the debut, this record will always be special to me. Damon's best? It certainly is outside Blur.

I feel we sometimes complain too much about the setlists, lack of choruses etc and just don't appreciate what we've got in Damon Albarn. The guy's just fucking unbelievable.

JackS

Post by JackS » 19 Jun 2015, 21:20

I think On Melancholy Hill is the one that resonated with most casual fans as the "single" for PB, it's the one that in my experience most people seem to know and like.

I was always baffled that Superfast Jellyfish wasn't a hit. I always thought that was in with a chance.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 19 Jun 2015, 21:24

JackS wrote:I think On Melancholy Hill is the one that resonated with most casual fans as the "single" for PB, it's the one that in my experience most people seem to know and like.

I was always baffled that Superfast Jellyfish wasn't a hit. I always thought that was in with a chance.
Hm. Superfast was just way too ironic and easy to be a hit I reckon. The chorus is really like a nursery rhyme.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 19 Jun 2015, 21:38

JackS wrote:I was always baffled that Superfast Jellyfish wasn't a hit. I always thought that was in with a chance.
I feel the same way about Rhinestone Eyes. The song has written "hit" all over it, yet for some reason it was barely considered.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 19 Jun 2015, 22:26

Lt Pinkerton wrote:I feel we sometimes complain too much about the setlists, lack of choruses etc and just don't appreciate what we've got in Damon Albarn. The guy's just fucking unbelievable.
Yes yes yes yes. You are so correct, this is the quote of the year. As hardcore fans, we love to moan, but sometimes we should just sit back and think about the immense talent we have in that man. No matter what project or band he's working with, he constantly makes amazing music, and I love it! :D
Rubi wrote:
JackS wrote:I was always baffled that Superfast Jellyfish wasn't a hit. I always thought that was in with a chance.
I feel the same way about Rhinestone Eyes. The song has written "hit" all over it, yet for some reason it was barely considered.
Oddly enough though, a couple of months ago I was at a Sonic Drive In (American fast food restaurant, doubt they're in Europe) and I heard Rhinestone Eyes playing on the radio. In 2015. I was like :o

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 10 Jul 2015, 08:41

Rubi wrote:
TripleJay97 wrote:I'm pretty sure his creative peak was 1992-2015
You just won the internet.
That's a subtle way of saying you don't like their first album.

Forever Low Man wrote:
TripleJay97 wrote:I'm pretty sure his creative peak was 1989-2015
Fixed.
TripleJay97 wrote:You have to admit, the lyrics improved after Leisure.
....from dreamy baggy, to brash Britpop.... :D
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 10 Jul 2015, 08:42

P.S. I bought 'Demon Days' in 2005, but being busy with life issues, I never played it too much. 'Dare' was great with Shaun Ryder.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 10 Jul 2015, 10:38

Mallard No. 22 wrote:That's a subtle way of saying you don't like their first album.
I like it, I just think it's on a whole other playing field than their lyrically powerful later work. The greatness on Leisure revolved around the instrumentation, I feel.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 11 Jul 2015, 01:25

i think leisure is a difficult album for me. i love those songs live, the early blur live days (watching videos on youtube...) but the album just lacks what the live versions do. i totally agree with TripleJay, I think Damon's lyrics really lack, except for there's no otherway, those lyrics could easiler of the s/t album.. i love when damon's lyrics make no sense and are hard to figure out. other than that, Leisure sound like he didn't know what to write and was just emulating the MBV records Graham played. but when they played those songs drunk, full of energy they were good... take Come Together for example, that sounds amazing live. the b-sides leading up to mLIR are exactly what Leisure needed. I just wonder of a first blur album that wasn't so controlled by the record company...

at first I thought you guys were talking about the first gorillaz album cuz this is a gorillaz thread :P
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 11 Jul 2015, 14:30

If Superfast Jellyfish came out first and had a big video it would have done well.
They could have marketed it as the second coming of Feel Good Inc. :P

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 11 Jul 2015, 19:28

Listening to Demon Days now from start to finish for the first time in ages. Oh boy, what a great album. Definitely Damon's masterpiece. The best album he's ever done.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 12 Jul 2015, 07:19

MLIR, Blur, TMW, Demon Days and Plastic Beach are a solid top five but I have no idea in what order.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 13 Jul 2015, 07:37

TripleJay97 wrote:
Mallard No. 22 wrote:That's a subtle way of saying you don't like their first album.
I like it, I just think it's on a whole other playing field than their lyrically powerful later work. The greatness on Leisure revolved around the instrumentation, I feel.
metalhipslop wrote:i think leisure is a difficult album for me. i love those songs live, the early blur live days (watching videos on youtube...) but the album just lacks what the live versions do. i totally agree with TripleJay, I think Damon's lyrics really lack, except for there's no otherway, those lyrics could easiler of the s/t album..
'Leisure' is an album typical of its time. And at that time, indie music had yet to get to where it was going.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 13 Jul 2015, 16:28

Leisure is only different from other baggy albums in that it has a shoegaze influence. Not all the tracks do, but its there in, say, She's So High, and of course, Sing. Apart from that and much of Graham's work, I wouldn't refrain from saying it has anything that set it apart from the crowd.