Demon Days... Oh My God.

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

TripleJay97

Re: Demon Days... Oh My God.

Post by TripleJay97 » 19 Jun 2015, 10:59

looper007 wrote:It's Gorillaz debut album I feel that doesn't get enough respect.
This. The debut is a wonderful record :)

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 19 Jun 2015, 11:40

They're all great records, but the debut is the weakest in my opinion.

Rhys

Post by Rhys » 19 Jun 2015, 12:38

Demon Days is such an awesome album! I remember when the singles were massively popular, I can recall watching the videos for Feel Good Inc and Dare loads of times on television, and hearing them on the radio. The album's grown on me a lot since I first started listening to it, and it's definitely a testament to how talented and creative Damon and Jamie are. If I had to pick a favourite album, I would go with the self-titled, but I love em all!

maria

Post by maria » 19 Jun 2015, 13:16

I love this album so much! (yes even Dare) For me is also one of the best things Damon has ever done. And it has the best closing track ever (well technically they're 2, but I always listen to Don't Get Lost in Heaven and Demon Days as one song :P ).
101reykjavik wrote:They're all great records, but the debut is the weakest in my opinion.
I agree, as much as I enjoy listening to the S/T.
DD, PB, S/T is how I rank them.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 19 Jun 2015, 13:20

101reykjavik wrote:They're all great records, but the debut is the weakest in my opinion.
Weaker than The Fall? :|

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 19 Jun 2015, 13:22

TripleJay97 wrote:
Weaker than The Fall? :|
Oh, stop it. I'm not counting The Fall! :P

Anyway, we all know The Fall is the best thing Damon has ever done, ever, let alone the best of Gorillaz. In fact, it's the best album in the history of recorded music.

Mrbriggs

Post by Mrbriggs » 19 Jun 2015, 15:14

I love Demon Days, but I think I prefer the debut and Plastic Beach.

JordanPowers

Post by JordanPowers » 19 Jun 2015, 15:18

He's So High wrote:Agree with all the comments here about how good the album is, although I think I'm in a minority of people who prefer Plastic Beach. This must also have been the last time that Damon wrote properly massive singles?
I agree with you on Demon Days being the last time Damon's singles getting paid major attention to internationally. Plastic Beach as an entire album was huge, but there weren't any extremely popular singles that got major airplay or anything, but strangely, the album itself was very popular. I think that with the fact that they were trying a bit too hard on Plastic Beach and The Fall to market themselves in a different way, they've probably learned their lesson with that and I don't think they'll be doing that anymore, so because of that I think the next Gorillaz singles will be even bigger than Plastic Beach and could be as popular internationally as Feel Good Inc and Clint Eastwood were.

I never preferred Plastic Beach over Demon Days or Gorillaz, but it's still great and it's pretty high up there in a list of my Top 10 Favorite Albums of All Time.
TripleJay97 wrote:
Westway wrote:this should be in the blur section
You should be off the Blur forum

Renny

Post by Renny » 19 Jun 2015, 19:02

I find that my favourite gorillaz album is whichever one I'm listening to atm. excited to hear what happens next. gutted that I never heard the pb live album though.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 19 Jun 2015, 19:54

I can see it's the younger fans who really connected with Gorillaz, they are "ok" to me but none of it comes nowhere near Damon's work on Blur material like "Modern Life Is Rubbish" and "Blur" or even something like "Sing"

Gorillaz is your classic in your 20s and below memories where as mine are Modern Life Is Rubbish to 13, buying the singles on the day of release going to the gigs etc back in 1993 onwards...fair play...

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 19 Jun 2015, 19:58

JordanPowers wrote:
He's So High wrote:Agree with all the comments here about how good the album is, although I think I'm in a minority of people who prefer Plastic Beach. This must also have been the last time that Damon wrote properly massive singles?
I agree with you on Demon Days being the last time Damon's singles getting paid major attention to internationally. Plastic Beach as an entire album was huge, but there weren't any extremely popular singles that got major airplay or anything, but strangely, the album itself was very popular. I think that with the fact that they were trying a bit too hard on Plastic Beach and The Fall to market themselves in a different way, they've probably learned their lesson with that and I don't think they'll be doing that anymore, so because of that I think the next Gorillaz singles will be even bigger than Plastic Beach and could be as popular internationally as Feel Good Inc and Clint Eastwood were.

I never preferred Plastic Beach over Demon Days or Gorillaz, but it's still great and it's pretty high up there in a list of my Top 10 Favorite Albums of All Time.
I don't think Damon writes songs with intention of getting it in top ten. Doncamatic was probably the only one and it wasn't that much of a hit :P They just happen, haven't happened since 2005? Stylo and On Melancholy Hill were popular, maybe not like feel good and Clint Eastwood but people who knew of Gorillaz knew those songs
Music industry and pop culture has changed since 2005 too - I wonder to my self sometimes if Clint Eastwood and feel Good were released today, would they be as popular? Most likely, but when those songs came out Gorillaz style and sound was new and promotion was a lot different, people bought more music, ipod commericals... etc
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 19 Jun 2015, 20:30

TripleJay97 wrote:I'm pretty sure his creative peak was 1992-2015
You just won the internet.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 19 Jun 2015, 20:34

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 19 Jun 2015, 20:36

TripleJay97 wrote:I'm pretty sure his creative peak was 1989-2015