Demon Days... Oh My God.

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

aldamasta

Re: Demon Days... Oh My God.

Post by aldamasta » 18 Jun 2015, 14:49

daii wrote:damon was at his creativity peak.
I'd say Damon was at his peak from 1999 to 2005 (or maybe 2007.) He had so many amazing songs/albums in that period! 13, Gorillaz S/T, Mali Music, Think Tank, Demon Days, GBQ all were just amazing albums IMO.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 18 Jun 2015, 14:52

I'm pretty sure his creative peak was 1992-2015

miko

Post by miko » 18 Jun 2015, 14:57

Melon_Collie wrote:
and another GBQ record just waiting to be recorded.
Really? They plan another one?

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 18 Jun 2015, 15:04

miko wrote:
Melon_Collie wrote:
and another GBQ record just waiting to be recorded.
Really? They plan another one?
Yes! He said in an interview last October that it was fully written, and only needed to be recorded.
TripleJay97 wrote:I'm pretty sure his creative peak was 1992-2015
Maybe I shouldn't say his peak was from 99 to 2007, it's just so many things he did then resonated with me in a special way. It's hard to think of a Damon album/project since the very beginning that I haven't liked... it's great being a Damon fan 8-)

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 18 Jun 2015, 15:11

BOOOO, got too excited for a second there, thought the topic may be about a vinyl reissue

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 18 Jun 2015, 17:29

sara-m-a wrote:It took me ages to warm up to it, unlike the self tittled and plastic beach, I think there's too much things going on in that album and I find these slow sad songs far too boring.. ie el mañana. There are certainly good songs, but I think there's too much of a hype around this album... imho
It's not even as good as Think Tank....imo.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 18 Jun 2015, 17:31

^are you high?

UnderThePuritan

Post by UnderThePuritan » 18 Jun 2015, 18:09

I like the self-titled more, but there's no doubt this is an album of the highest quality. I prefer many of the tracks off Think Tank to this, but Demon Days keeps a consistently high quality throughout - there's not really any filler on this, compared to Think Tank.

Every Planet We Reach Is Dead, Dirty Harry, O Green World - what great tunes!

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 18 Jun 2015, 18:22

I can't believe that back in a day I completely hated Gorillaz for their sound after hearing DARE on the radio - and for quite some time I didn't want to listen to any of the Gorillaz stuff. Years later, after I discovered blur and other Damon's projects, I've actually listened to it - and completely changed my mind :lol: It certainly is the best Damon's Days (hehehe) in his career to this date. I still have a warmer attitude towards "Think Tank", though - but it's way high up in my own charts :lol:

And DARE is still quite bad...
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 18 Jun 2015, 18:43

Agree with all the comments here about how good the album is, although I think I'm in a minority of people who prefer Plastic Beach. This must also have been the last time that Damon wrote properly massive singles?

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 18 Jun 2015, 18:53

Kids With Guns is genuinely one of my favourite songs of all time. The last minute is some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard. I could have a loop of that last minute on repeat for the rest of my life and be entirely happy.

Melon_Collie

Post by Melon_Collie » 18 Jun 2015, 23:20

He's So High wrote:Agree with all the comments here about how good the album is, although I think I'm in a minority of people who prefer Plastic Beach. This must also have been the last time that Damon wrote properly massive singles?
I always wonder if Damon sits down to write singles specifically... or if he just writes songs and then chooses the most popular ones for singles.
Like if On Melancholy Hill had caught on more would be saying that was Damon writing a massive single? Who knows. It's always weird when, say, Plastic Beach came out and everyone said it "lacked a proper lead single." Isn't the popularity of a song determined by the general public? Meh. Who's the say. I guess a big part of Feel Good Inc. getting huge (in America at least) was that Apple commercial.

PB is still my favorite Gorillaz album.... though Demon Days puts up a mean fight. Actually they might be tied.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 18 Jun 2015, 23:57

I was in art college when it came out and I remember listening to it nonstop while working endless hours on photo projects and just never getting bored with anything. I also remember listening to it with headphones when it first came out in the dark (lol) just trying to soak it all it.

It's still a brilliant album & still one of my all time faves.

looper007

Post by looper007 » 19 Jun 2015, 10:50

tom_cas1 wrote:Damon's best album.
agreed, this is probably one of the best British album's ever and certainly the best album of 00's. I remember the TV Ad's for it saying "it's the modern day Sgt Pepper" and I have to agree Damon is really on top form here and Feel Good Inc, Dirty Harry and Dare are three of the best thing he's done even with Blur. Kids with Gun's is a lost classic too. I remember Mojo did the top ten must buys of Blur and solo stuff and this was voted first, I say outside of the UK this is the album he be remembered for. Plastic Beach is followed closely behind.

looper007

Post by looper007 » 19 Jun 2015, 10:57

He's So High wrote:Agree with all the comments here about how good the album is, although I think I'm in a minority of people who prefer Plastic Beach. This must also have been the last time that Damon wrote properly massive singles?
I think why Plastic Beach doesn't get enough love I think it doesn't have the big time singles like Demon Day's had, Stylo is great but it isn't a hit you on first listen as Good feel Inc or Dare. I never thought Plastic Beach had massive singles though, but it is a great album and I think it has Empire Ants probably Damon's greatest creation. I loved some Kind of Nature and on Melancholy Hill too. Superjelly fish is a great pop song too. I think it's underrated album but I still have Demon Day's ahead of it.

It's Gorillaz debut album I feel that doesn't get enough respect.