Gig: Isle of Wight Festival, 13 Jun 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Leahscarlet2

Re: Gig: Isle of Wight Festival, 13 June

Post by Leahscarlet2 » 15 Jun 2015, 14:36

Does it really matter? It's a band we all like, playing their songs old and new, it's great to see them whatever ends up being played to be honest.

"Moan, moan, moan"
She's a well wisher and she wishes you well

Wippet

Post by Wippet » 15 Jun 2015, 15:01

Any footage of the IOW gig doing the rounds?

Leahscarlet2

Post by Leahscarlet2 » 15 Jun 2015, 15:03

Some on YouTube and sky arts are playing highlights on Saturday

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 15 Jun 2015, 15:26

tom_cas1 wrote:Sorry but one of the draws of a Blur show this year is to hear new material, festival or not. Magic Whip songs shouldn't be dropped just because they're playing to a festival crowd. I'd be a tad annoyed if I shelled out £80 on a Hyde Park ticket to find out they only play 2-3 new songs. And at the end of the day if people don't like the new songs then they can leave.
One of the draws for a hardcore Blur fan is certainly to hear new material. Most IOW tickets were sold before Blur were announced and there would have been plenty of people who have gone to see bands that aren't Blur. Even at IOW they played 5 songs (a quarter of the set) from TMW. There is no prospect of them only playing 2 new songs at Hyde Park Tom as you well know.

That the 2003 gigs were very Think Tank heavy, had very little to do with promoting TT, it was a pragmatic decision as Graham wasn't playing as part of the line-up. The guitar parts on TT were not nearly as technically demanding and to be fair Simon Tong clearly needed more time to practice the TIAL solo, not less. The 13 promotion was as much about destroying/distancing themselves from the Britpop tag as it was about promoting 13, it was a dynamic active band (their 6th album in 8 years) showcasing their new direction. I would suspect the bands' view of their back catalogue is that they are proud of it as a collective, they are likely to have another lengthy hiatus after the autumn. Beyond saying that they can still make new music that is just as good if not better than the back catalogue, there is no real need to make a statement about what genre Blur should be pigeon-holed in to, or about what direction the band will head in, should they make another album.

The issue of how well the gigs are received is a big deal, very little money is made by selling albums, it comes from touring and headlining festivals, if Blur can't attract big crowds and/or headline festivals, it's only reasonable to expect we will hear far less from them in future. As interesting as it would be for those who attended Wolves & Mode to hear a 30 minute extended outro to Badgeman Brown live, for 45,000 people (or however many tickets they eventually sell) its probably not a big draw for many, who believe it or not, either might not have seen Blur before, or actually quite like the popular material. To be fair this must have been an expensive year for you by the time you paid for Mode, Wolverhampton, Blackpool and Hyde Park, but there are limits as to what Blur could/should do at these type of events. There's a reason the B-sides gig was at a tiny club in London and didn't form the core of any festival sets.

Sean

Post by Sean » 15 Jun 2015, 17:17

Exactly.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 15 Jun 2015, 17:44

Well said dougharrison!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 15 Jun 2015, 18:28

dougharrison wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:Sorry but one of the draws of a Blur show this year is to hear new material, festival or not. Magic Whip songs shouldn't be dropped just because they're playing to a festival crowd. I'd be a tad annoyed if I shelled out £80 on a Hyde Park ticket to find out they only play 2-3 new songs. And at the end of the day if people don't like the new songs then they can leave.
30 minute extended outro to Badgeman Brown live...
Well there's a big difference between that and simply playing more songs from The Magic Whip. Are you telling me the casual listener wouldn't enjoy the new material? I find that hard to believe. I get your point RE playing more hits at a festival but I don't think any festival crowd would be disappointed if they chose to play Pyongyang/Ghost Ship/There Are Too Many Of Us/Mirrorball over, say, Badhead.

Take the Wolverhampton setlist for example. It was fast and hard right from the start, are you telling me a festival crowd wouldn't have liked it? It was a perfect mix of new and old and the same can be said for Glasgow too.

Go Out
Song 2
Lonesome Street
Ghost Ship
Out Of Time
Coffee & TV
Thought I Was A Spaceman
Trimm Trabb
I Broadcast
Trouble In The Message Centre
Beetlebum
Tender
Mirrorball
There Are Too Many Of Us

- - Encore - -
Stereotypes
For Tomorrow
This Is A Low
Girls & Boys
Ong Ong
The Universal
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

munch

Post by munch » 15 Jun 2015, 19:08

Maybe they chose songs that were best for Damons voice
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 15 Jun 2015, 21:14

Doug, that post is beautiful. I would quote it all if I could.

He makes a good point though, Tom, you must be broke by now! All the gigs you've been going to! I'm only doing three gigs over here and they're all arena ones and it's still wiping me out! :lol: Can't imagine how much you had to pay for a ticket to Wolverhampton alone - a ticket to a charity gig that sold out in two seconds... Must've set you back a fair bit!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 15 Jun 2015, 21:35

Well there was a lot of driving involved (1.5 hours one way for Wolverhampton and close to 4 hours one way for Blackpool) but I was lucky enough to be on the guest lists for both. I donated to the charity at Wolverhampton to make up the ticket price. Big thank you to the boys for having me at both shows. :)
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 15 Jun 2015, 21:39

Wasnt trying to imply anything, Tom. Just saying you're obviously better managing your money than I am - I know you've driven a lot and petrol is damned expensive :lol:

Leahscarlet2

Post by Leahscarlet2 » 15 Jun 2015, 21:39

How did you get on the guest list?

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 15 Jun 2015, 21:59

looking at pictures from the gig... looks like the western man didn't keep his top shirt button left undone ;)
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 16 Jun 2015, 00:15

tom_cas1 wrote: Well there's a big difference between that and simply playing more songs from The Magic Whip. Are you telling me the casual listener wouldn't enjoy the new material? I find that hard to believe. I get your point RE playing more hits at a festival but I don't think any festival crowd would be disappointed if they chose to play Pyongyang/Ghost Ship/There Are Too Many Of Us/Mirrorball over, say, Badhead.

Take the Wolverhampton setlist for example. It was fast and hard right from the start, are you telling me a festival crowd wouldn't have liked it? It was a perfect mix of new and old and the same can be said for Glasgow too.

Go Out
Song 2
Lonesome Street
Ghost Ship
Out Of Time
Coffee & TV
Thought I Was A Spaceman
Trimm Trabb
I Broadcast
Trouble In The Message Centre
Beetlebum
Tender
Mirrorball
There Are Too Many Of Us

- - Encore - -
Stereotypes
For Tomorrow
This Is A Low
Girls & Boys
Ong Ong
The Universal
Firstly I have never said, nor implied that a casual listener wouldn't enjoy the new material. Odd that you've chosen to interpret my post in that way.

Secondly I don't think for that very specific example a festival crowd would be disappointed or upset to miss out on Badhead for any of those choices you have listed, however they are more likely to be familiar with Badhead (for better or worse, I've no issues with BH as a song, not sure it fits a festival line up personally)

Thirdly let me say for a Blur gig, that Wolves setlist was amazing (like anyone else I could quibble over the odd choice or two, but its a great setlist), however I don't think in a festival setlist you can have songs 3-9 inclusive with only 1 top 10 single (IIRC OOT spent just 2 weeks in the top 40, beautiful song though it is). As much as I love that running order, I can imagine many casuals being a bit alienated/bewildered/disinterested by the time Beetlebum started and I think you would be looking at a very mixed reaction from a crowd of circa 50k during the break before the encore.

yqurmh

Post by yqurmh » 16 Jun 2015, 18:10

hi
no video of this gig ?
i think there's a video on Periscope tv but i can't see it.