Gig: BST Hyde Park, London, 20 Jun 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Pasta

Re: Gig: BST Hyde Park, 20 June

Post by Pasta » 21 Jun 2015, 09:58

Mr Briggs wrote:
Pasta wrote:Surprises me to see people slag off the left wing on here when, let's face it, blur are a left wing band.

I know some people don't like to mix politics and music but it makes a difference to me at least
Think you'll find that's Damons politics and not particularly the rest of the bands especially Alex. I wouldn't call blur a left wing band, The Clash were supposedly a left wing band but it was only really Joe Strummer who's politics leaned that way.

Think you're forgetting what dave got up to?

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 21 Jun 2015, 10:00

Can we stop talking about politics in this thread please? It's about Hyde Park!

Bathstreet

Post by Bathstreet » 21 Jun 2015, 10:38

101reykjavik wrote:I had a great time last night.

No complaints from me about the set list. Let's face it, it was always going to be a pretty conservative set list at HP. I just threw myself into it and enjoyed it for what it was. It's not like I dislike any Blur songs, just of case of 'fantasy land what I really want to hear' stuff. If it comes to pass there are some UK gigs in the autumn I'm going to try for those and hope the venues lend themselves to more Magic Whip.

But overall, thought it was fabulous. Highlights for me were He Thought of Cars, Spaceman and I'm always a sucker for For Tomorrow however much I've heard it. Same can't be said for Parklife. I can honestly say that was the one and only time last night I wasnt 100% immersed in the whole thing. The crowd went nuts of course as you'd imagine but I've just heard it enough now. Can't get excited about it anymore. But again, I understood that's the deal when you sign up for Hyde Park so that's okay.

My girlfriend and I both agreed this was by some margin better than 2012. We seemed surrounded by loads of people in 12 who literally talked through anything which wasn't Parklife, Song 2 etc. This felt to me, with the gang of people around us, that most people were into every song, which makes such a difference to your overall enjoyment of the evening. I think 2009 wins overall though as far as HP goes - simply because they were BACK.

Ice Cream Man was played yesterday by the way, twice. ;) Firstly, the chimes of the ice cream van played it at the start and secondly, I was playing it on my phone before they came out because I knew we wouldn't hear it all night. :lol:
Spot on. No band is going to play much new material at a Hyde Park or any other major gig where there will only be a few thousand die hard fans verses tens of thousands of folks just wanting the hits.

I think 5 off the new album isn't too bad actually

Bathstreet

Post by Bathstreet » 21 Jun 2015, 10:41

Mark72 wrote:Fantastic time was had last night!

We got in about 1. had eats and a few beers and headed off to the front, I enjoyed the support too(maybe something in the beer!) and thought the day went really quickly! I was near to the front and just missed out those ice creams handed out by Damon.

I really wasn't too fussed about the jukebox setlist because of the size event and knew the hits had to come out, I just threw myself into it (literally) as a fanboy rather than a chin rubber and enjoyed it for what it was.. A fantastic gig! I got crushed a few times and it brought back that days like Ally Pally all those years ago!

They really nailed it last night (Evan though Damon forgot some of the words to "He Thought of Cars") and they're just getting better and better and I do hope for a autumn tour where The Magic Whip will get showcased a lot more in the set.

Hyde Park '15! wow I was thinking the worst viewing of the gig when traveling up from Oxford in the morning, but it turned out to be one of the best open air gigs I've been in a long long while! Such a contrast to '12 HP gig as I was late and right at the back with shit sound...... but I remind myself I'm 43 not 23 when Pogoing in the mosh pit!!

Love This Band!! (I think it maybe double figures since saw them play at Reading '93!)

Some photos I managed some how take and came out all right!

Love that term you use chin rubber. I'm so guilty of that at gigs. When I see blur in Melbourne I'm just going to get on the beer and have a blast rather than... Chin rub

Wippet

Post by Wippet » 21 Jun 2015, 10:46

I enjoyed the gig last night. Walked in just as it stopped raining about 7.30. Considerably better sound than 2012. The set list has to cater for the fair weather fans. Thought the TMW tracks went down we'll. agree that were to many off Parklife though. Damon forgot the words to For Tomorrow didn't he?

5.50 for a pint is criminal.

Also does anyone think Damon is sponsored by Fred Perry always seems to wearing one when the big gigs come around? free advertising?

Pasta

Post by Pasta » 21 Jun 2015, 11:12

Wippet wrote:I enjoyed the gig last night. Walked in just as it stopped raining about 7.30. Considerably better sound than 2012. The set list has to cater for the fair weather fans. Thought the TMW tracks went down we'll. agree that were to many off Parklife though. Damon forgot the words to For Tomorrow didn't he?

Also does anyone think Damon is sponsored by Fred Perry always seems to wearing one when the big gigs come around? free advertising?
Same for dave too :D

JackS

Post by JackS » 21 Jun 2015, 11:20

Bathstreet wrote:
Spot on. No band is going to play much new material at a Hyde Park or any other major gig where there will only be a few thousand die hard fans verses tens of thousands of folks just wanting the hits.

I think 5 off the new album isn't too bad actually
That's exactly my point though. I conceded that this was always going to be the case at Hyde Park - it's just a shame they didn't do a smaller gig for people who actually want to hear new material rather than Hyde Park for the 4th time.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 21 Jun 2015, 12:36

Pasta wrote:
Wippet wrote:I enjoyed the gig last night. Walked in just as it stopped raining about 7.30. Considerably better sound than 2012. The set list has to cater for the fair weather fans. Thought the TMW tracks went down we'll. agree that were to many off Parklife though. Damon forgot the words to For Tomorrow didn't he?

Same for dave too :D
Dave's sponsored exclusively by just Fred Perry black polos with yellow trim. :lol:

EverydayRobot

Post by EverydayRobot » 21 Jun 2015, 13:01

I had a brilliant time last night! I got a decent spot 4th row from the front, the crowd was nuts but it was bearable unlike Blackpool lol and the sound was good! :D
I got excited when I seen the string section I thought "yes they're gonna play TATMOU and Mirrorball!!!" But sadly no :(
Was lovely to hear To The End with live strings though so that kind of made up for it.

Low point was a complete bell end who was pushing into everyone during Parklife, I ended up on my backside in a crowd surge. :evil: :lol:

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 21 Jun 2015, 14:19

Love that term you use chin rubber. I'm so guilty of that at gigs. When I see blur in Melbourne I'm just going to get on the beer and have a blast rather than... Chin rub
Borrowed it from tweedz when watching a interview He was doing for the promotion of A+E ;)
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 21 Jun 2015, 15:44

Just got back, and like all you lot had a great time. No complaints really about the setlist - a nice mixture. I was actually really surprised by how friendly the crowd was. I was about half way back in the front section, in front of the left hand tree, and it was just a really nice vibe. People were getting into it but there were no dickheads ruining it for other people. Weather wasn't too bad at all either. Couple of showers but nothing to worry about (made pints last a big longer as well!). 8-)

I was pleasantly surprised by how many people knew the new songs, as well. Go Out, Lonesome Street, and Ong Ong all got proper singalongs. Oh and this is just a personal favourite but End of a Century is always welcome - especially when it's a bit of a surprise!

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 21 Jun 2015, 15:52

Clip of There's No Other Way from The Telegraph...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/cult ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Suggests at least someone recorded it professionally?

twostep

Post by twostep » 21 Jun 2015, 15:55

Same on End of a Century - it'll always be a favourite of mine, no matter how many times I hear it. So that was a nice addition.
it's me, d4p

they would compare her to lilies, and she had to go to parties, and london was so dreary

twostep

Post by twostep » 21 Jun 2015, 16:11

5 stars in the guardian
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/j ... -and-clear" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
it's me, d4p

they would compare her to lilies, and she had to go to parties, and london was so dreary

Miki

Post by Miki » 21 Jun 2015, 16:25

I had the best weekend ever! I'm a huge fan of both Beck and Blur and got to see them both, two days apart! Beck was fantastic, he killed it and won over a crowd that was there mainly to see The Strokes - many probably had no or little idea who he was or what to expect, but by the end, everyone was jumping up and down. He owned it. What can I say about Blur that hasn't been said already? They were spectacular! The show they put together was a treat for both ears and eyes. Loved the visuals, the Mr OK beach-balls, the ice-cream van, the Ong Ong costumes, the fans videos... it was one incredible giant party! Personally I could have done with a couple more songs from TMW and maybe some older songs that haven't been played in a while, but it wasn't that type of crowd and what the hell! You can't beat the atmosphere "Tender", "Song 2" or "Girls&Boys" generate. Third time I saw them in Hyde Park and it keeps getting better!

I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...