Gig: BST Hyde Park, London, 20 Jun 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

thespider

Re: Gig: BST Hyde Park, 20 June

Post by thespider » 20 Jun 2015, 23:48

The gig was brilliant and definitely better than Hyde Park 2012. The crowd was noticably smaller which made it more enjoyable for me. Less crowds is always a good thing, up to a point. The sound was much better and clearly being able to play new, fresh material galvanized the band. Ong Ong is up there with their very best festival sing a longs.

Support bands: Drenge were good. Didn't like Metronomy myself, boring. The Horrors were worth watching and Kitty Davis and Lewis were good....and nice to look at ;)

WillTrow

Post by WillTrow » 20 Jun 2015, 23:58

Less said about MrBriggs the better...

Brilliant brilliant gig. Yeah the same setlist as other venues, yeah a bit shorter yaddayadda, but without the baggage of the comeback or the olympics, the music and showmanship really shone. Damon was obviously very pleased with it, as were the crowd. Just annoying that the crush barrier between the front 1/4 and the rest of the field is so fucking far back.

Glad i got to see them at wolverhampton, but this was still a great night to be a blur fan.

twostep

Post by twostep » 21 Jun 2015, 00:11

some pics here:
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/leisure/nati ... Hyde_Park/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
it's me, d4p

they would compare her to lilies, and she had to go to parties, and london was so dreary

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 21 Jun 2015, 00:26

Sounds like it was a good gig but the setlist is a tad disappointing especially with 1 less Magic Whip song and End Of A Century taking it's place. I get the whole thing about the band playing more well known songs at shows like this but new material will only become well known if it's played in the first place!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

cdm22

Post by cdm22 » 21 Jun 2015, 00:39

twostep

Post by twostep » 21 Jun 2015, 00:40

I really enjoyed it, and I wasn't even planning on going. The sound was good, the atmosphere was good... I'd probably feel disappointed by the lack of Magic Whip songs if I hadn't been to the warm up shows, but I didn't really notice their absence today. Pyongyang I think would have worked well because it's sort of sweeping and epic. As much as I love My Terracotta Heart I'm not sure it would have worked in Hyde Park. I think generally the set list was well put together - there weren't really any 'mass exodus to the bar' moments - the momentum was kept up throughout. The crowd seemed really into it - much more so than in 2012. Maybe that had something to do with the much improved sound. The ice cream van was a fun, silly touch. A really good gig.
it's me, d4p

they would compare her to lilies, and she had to go to parties, and london was so dreary

windymiller

Post by windymiller » 21 Jun 2015, 00:47

Just got back home. Made it to the front. Really enjoyed it. But lack of new tracks was a bit disappointing. Spaceman was my highlight. Can't figure out why they're avoiding Pyongyang. Was so looking forward to seeing that live.

munch

Post by munch » 21 Jun 2015, 01:36

was the setlist bad again? :P

did anyone see my animation on the screen yet?
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

Macducci

Post by Macducci » 21 Jun 2015, 02:04

7 Parklife songs...come on, it's 2015, not 1994

daii

Post by daii » 21 Jun 2015, 02:06

photo album https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... ploaded=44" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

munch

Post by munch » 21 Jun 2015, 02:50

gosh, its sad i guess
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/blur/2015 ... 90fb5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

JackS

Post by JackS » 21 Jun 2015, 03:10

twostep wrote:I really enjoyed it, and I wasn't even planning on going. The sound was good, the atmosphere was good... I'd probably feel disappointed by the lack of Magic Whip songs if I hadn't been to the warm up shows, but I didn't really notice their absence today.
This is it for me, was unfortunate that I couldn't make any other gigs they played, where they played more new material, so that was entirely what led to my comments about the setlist - it's just a shame they chose not to do any other warm up shows more accessible in the South. I know we've been spoiled with them over the years, but there's a new album. I really want to hear it live.

Renny

Post by Renny » 21 Jun 2015, 05:41

Agree totally. Magic whip has become my favourite blur album so a bit disappointed to only have the 5 songs. spaceman was brilliant and the band were great value. It's just. .

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 21 Jun 2015, 08:49

I had a great time last night.

No complaints from me about the set list. Let's face it, it was always going to be a pretty conservative set list at HP. I just threw myself into it and enjoyed it for what it was. It's not like I dislike any Blur songs, just of case of 'fantasy land what I really want to hear' stuff. If it comes to pass there are some UK gigs in the autumn I'm going to try for those and hope the venues lend themselves to more Magic Whip.

But overall, thought it was fabulous. Highlights for me were He Thought of Cars, Spaceman and I'm always a sucker for For Tomorrow however much I've heard it. Same can't be said for Parklife. I can honestly say that was the one and only time last night I wasnt 100% immersed in the whole thing. The crowd went nuts of course as you'd imagine but I've just heard it enough now. Can't get excited about it anymore. But again, I understood that's the deal when you sign up for Hyde Park so that's okay.

My girlfriend and I both agreed this was by some margin better than 2012. We seemed surrounded by loads of people in 12 who literally talked through anything which wasn't Parklife, Song 2 etc. This felt to me, with the gang of people around us, that most people were into every song, which makes such a difference to your overall enjoyment of the evening. I think 2009 wins overall though as far as HP goes - simply because they were BACK.

Ice Cream Man was played yesterday by the way, twice. ;) Firstly, the chimes of the ice cream van played it at the start and secondly, I was playing it on my phone before they came out because I knew we wouldn't hear it all night. :lol:

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 21 Jun 2015, 09:52

Fantastic time was had last night!

We got in about 1. had eats and a few beers and headed off to the front, I enjoyed the support too(maybe something in the beer!) and thought the day went really quickly! I was near to the front and just missed out those ice creams handed out by Damon.

I really wasn't too fussed about the jukebox setlist because of the size event and knew the hits had to come out, I just threw myself into it (literally) as a fanboy rather than a chin rubber and enjoyed it for what it was.. A fantastic gig! I got crushed a few times and it brought back that days like Ally Pally all those years ago!

They really nailed it last night (Evan though Damon forgot some of the words to "He Thought of Cars") and they're just getting better and better and I do hope for a autumn tour where The Magic Whip will get showcased a lot more in the set.

Hyde Park '15! wow I was thinking the worst viewing of the gig when traveling up from Oxford in the morning, but it turned out to be one of the best open air gigs I've been in a long long while! Such a contrast to '12 HP gig as I was late and right at the back with shit sound...... but I remind myself I'm 43 not 23 when Pogoing in the mosh pit!!

Love This Band!! (I think it maybe double figures since saw them play at Reading '93!)

Some photos I managed some how take and came out all right!

“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”