Gig: BST Hyde Park, London, 20 Jun 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

blurvert

Re: Gig: BST Hyde Park, 20 June

Post by blurvert » 20 Jun 2015, 20:51

is this being recorded at all? will there be any footage (none mobile phone) knocking about?

JackS

Post by JackS » 20 Jun 2015, 21:26

New songs played were Go Out, Lonesome Street, I Broadcast, Spaceman and Ong Ong. HTOC, Trouble and Stereotypes all played but no other shocks.

Obviously a great set, and the boys played their hearts out, but it for me showed the problem with Hyde Park. The band clearly held back on playing new songs like TATMOU, Terracotta and Pyongyang to appeal to the masses, but those around me literally didn't pay any attention to anything other than Beetlebum, Song 2, Parklife, Tender, G&B and End of a Century.

That's fine, and what you expect from a large gig - especially one that sold of tickets for a tenner or less. It just shows why they should do a few more gigs in the country for people who actually know the songs - and especially those who want to see more than 5 new songs.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 20 Jun 2015, 21:57

Sounds like the same setlist as Blackpool etc.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

JackS

Post by JackS » 20 Jun 2015, 22:02

I would say "it's a mystery why Ghost Ship, Terracotta, TATMOU and Mirrorball were all dropped and Pyongyang was never played" but it's obvious, the gigs were designed for large audiences and large audiences want an old singalong. Which, as I've said, is fine, especially when tickets are auctioned off for a tenner. I just hope they play other gigs for people who know the songs.

Edit: I didn't record the setlist unfortunately, but looking at the Paris setlist, I believe it was identical with Terracotta swapped for End of a Century

goadamn

Post by goadamn » 20 Jun 2015, 22:10

TATMOU is one of the best songs on the album. If they leave it off of their headlining USA shows, I'll be rather gutted.

gwyper

Post by gwyper » 20 Jun 2015, 22:16

It was a good show. Can't help but compare it to Glasgow which blew it away, but that is comparing apples and oranges. Damon tried the infamous "Here we fucking go" but it doesn't work outside Glasgow.

Disappointed they done just shy of two hours, expected more.

They done well and it was a decent show.

JackS

Post by JackS » 20 Jun 2015, 22:29

I'm trying not to be disappointed, because it was a good Blur gig, and it's always great to see them play those songs.

But I guess I should have known what to expect at Hyde Park - it was always going to be the hits. But at Hyde Park especially, we've seen that several times now.

I do believe that dropping TATMOU in particular is criminal.

Hopefully they'll play another gig in the Soufh later this year where they play the new songs, fingers crossed.

bugman

Post by bugman » 20 Jun 2015, 22:29

so just 2 ours ? ha! new album and they played the shortest set in hp (even in the club)

what's going on ? just 3 rarities (i mean htoc, stereotypes and trouble).

2009- tracy jacks, oily water, chemical world, battery, essex,doap
2012-jubilee, london loves,young and lovely, caramel, bugman, sing, no distance + puritan and westway

really i dont understand

JackS

Post by JackS » 20 Jun 2015, 22:32

Go Out
There's No Other Way
Lonesome Street
Badhead
Coffee & TV
Out of Time
Beetlebum
Thought I Was a Spaceman
Trimm Trabb
He Thought of Cars
End of a Century
I Broadcast
Trouble in the Message Centre
Tender
Parklife (with Phil Daniels)
Ong Ong
Song 2
To the End
This Is a Low

Stereotypes
Girls & Boys
For Tomorrow
The Universal

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 20 Jun 2015, 22:46

I'm sure the gig was fucking amazing, though that setlist man... :? they didn't bring out any surprises. That's so boring, this year is a perfect time to pull out some rarities but they've brought out only 3. Hoping they get a bit more experimental by the time they get to America!

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 20 Jun 2015, 22:48

bugman wrote:so just 2 ours ? ha! new album and they played the shortest set in hp (even in the club)

2012-jubilee, london loves,young and lovely, caramel, bugman, sing, no distance + puritan and westway

really i dont understand
jubilee was a rarity?
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 20 Jun 2015, 22:54

bugman wrote:so just 2 ours ? ha! new album and they played the shortest set in hp (even in the club)

really i dont understand
Bring back Chemical World, Battery, Essex Dogs, and maybe Bugman from that list. Then add Swamp Song, On Your Own, Look Inside America, Clover Over Dover..... and if they're doing a non festival gig, maybe even a b-side (Swallows in the motherfucking Heatwave)! I know this is next to impossible, but dammit a man can dream.

bugman

Post by bugman » 20 Jun 2015, 23:12

Forever Low Man wrote:

really i dont understand
jubilee was a rarity?
yes it was. they didn't played it so often. *97-99 tour

Pasta

Post by Pasta » 20 Jun 2015, 23:30

Yes chemical world definitely should come back

Noke

Post by Noke » 20 Jun 2015, 23:43

Mr Briggs wrote:
Pasta wrote:Surprises me to see people slag off the left wing on here when, let's face it, blur are a left wing band.

I know some people don't like to mix politics and music but it makes a difference to me at least
Think you'll find that's Damons politics and not particularly the rest of the bands especially Alex. I wouldn't call blur a left wing band, The Clash were supposedly a left wing band but it was only really Joe Strummer who's politics leaned that way.
Yes, only the principal songwriter, the singer, the driving creative force, the man who writes pretty much every lyric they've ever produced. A fair few of which relate to his political opinions. Oh, and the drummer was a Labour Party candidate too. But never mind.

As for your 'he wouldn't like it if we were at war' nonsense; well, we're not. And if we were then we'd be a great deal better off if we didn't have 'the bomb' to contend with. Maybe you're being ironic, I don't know, or maybe you've just massively missed the point.

Anyway, as for the set list... it's a shame they've not stuck with 'There are Too Many of Us'. Incredible song, sounded great live. I always think Blur concerts kind of fall flat when they get to 'Badhead', so I think there must be room for it in there somewhere. Mind you, I quite enjoy 'Badhead', for what it's worth. Just wish they'd focus more on the stuff which makes them special, if you like.