Gig: Zénith Paris, 15 Jun 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Consigliere_11

Re: Gig: Paris, 15 June

Post by Consigliere_11 » 22 Jun 2015, 09:46

I've listened to this "here we go" bit.. I don't know why, but for me it fits right in, even as a rehearsed part. "Song 2" is a very sort of nasty, dirty, "f### this, let's dance and mosh" song, so... it's at least funny to see or do that bit in the crowd, I suppose :lol:
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

Rosie

Post by Rosie » 22 Jun 2015, 14:50

Consigliere_11 wrote:I've listened to this "here we go" bit.. I don't know why, but for me it fits right in, even as a rehearsed part. "Song 2" is a very sort of nasty, dirty, "f### this, let's dance and mosh" song, so... it's at least funny to see or do that bit in the crowd, I suppose :lol:
Maybe, but for me it spoiled a little bit Song 2, because I was so concerned to understand what the fuck was he saying that I didn't realized that the song starting was THAT song. :evil:
Naivety of a first time comer........next Blur's gig I will be well trained! ;)

miko

Post by miko » 22 Jun 2015, 14:56

Rosie wrote:
Sean wrote:
I'm only taking the piss, I love him. He can do what he likes for all I care. :D
Yes, I've understood, I'm not criticizing you, only reiterating how much I love the Damon's personality ungrown side!!
He's sooo funny sometimes... :D
Agreed. Graham was right when he said that he missed Damon's hilarity the most during Blur's hiatus. He even comes across funny when he tries to be very serious about something or especially in his 'alpha male' moments :lol:

Coming back on topic, having rewatched that show, is it me or Terracota Heart seemed to be very emotional for the boys? Especially for Alex and Graham?
Not that it seems weird. That song can really strongly get to you...

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 22 Jun 2015, 23:45

Forever Low Man wrote:
aldamasta wrote:
Sean wrote:I've no qualms with the swearing - how uptight must one be to take issue with a swear word? - it's the just the sort of beery, football chant (and I love football) thing that I find distasteful. Blur (well, Damon) should've left that behind years ago. Mind you he is a man of nearly 50 who still wears an earring and sometimes can be seen in a baseball cap with a ganja leaf on the front. :lol:
He knows he hasn't grown up yet :P
He's also Damon motherfưčƙing Albarn.
now that i think of it, him doing that "fucking" chant reminds me of something at a rap concert. maybe even De La Soul, which as much as I love them they do some silly stuff over live versions of tracks. like "if you got a hand in your hand, then clap that mutherfucker, clap the mutherfucker' on Feel Good Inc.
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

trimmtrabb

Post by trimmtrabb » 23 Jun 2015, 00:03

Rosie wrote:
Consigliere_11 wrote:I've listened to this "here we go" bit.. I don't know why, but for me it fits right in, even as a rehearsed part. "Song 2" is a very sort of nasty, dirty, "f### this, let's dance and mosh" song, so... it's at least funny to see or do that bit in the crowd, I suppose :lol:
Maybe, but for me it spoiled a little bit Song 2, because I was so concerned to understand what the fuck was he saying that I didn't realized that the song starting was THAT song. :evil:
Naivety of a first time comer........next Blur's gig I will be well trained! ;)
that chant is like a scottish tradition that is chanted at A LOT of concerts in scotland. when they played at the barrowlands the crowd started the chant by ourselves at the start of beetlebum and the band were loving it and graham kept doing the guitar strum so that we'd keep going for longer. I guess damon must've really liked it bc ever since then he's made the crowd do it at gigs that aren't even in scotland! it was weird for me to be at hyde park and hear so many english people around me chanting it, I'm so used to hearing it in a scottish accent...

Rosie

Post by Rosie » 23 Jun 2015, 07:06

trimmtrabb wrote:that chant is like a scottish tradition that is chanted at A LOT of concerts in scotland. when they played at the barrowlands the crowd started the chant by ourselves at the start of beetlebum and the band were loving it and graham kept doing the guitar strum so that we'd keep going for longer. I guess damon must've really liked it bc ever since then he's made the crowd do it at gigs that aren't even in scotland! it was weird for me to be at hyde park and hear so many english people around me chanting it, I'm so used to hearing it in a scottish accent...
Thank-you for the explanation, I'm italian but i love the english culture, expecially regarding the music, so this is a very interesting inside for me ;)

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 23 Jun 2015, 09:07

Rosie wrote:
trimmtrabb wrote:that chant is like a scottish tradition that is chanted at A LOT of concerts in scotland. when they played at the barrowlands the crowd started the chant by ourselves at the start of beetlebum and the band were loving it and graham kept doing the guitar strum so that we'd keep going for longer. I guess damon must've really liked it bc ever since then he's made the crowd do it at gigs that aren't even in scotland! it was weird for me to be at hyde park and hear so many english people around me chanting it, I'm so used to hearing it in a scottish accent...
Thank-you for the explanation, I'm italian but i love the english culture, expecially regarding the music, so this is a very interesting inside for me ;)
Don't call it 'English' culture, that might get you in trouble. :lol:

trimmtrabb

Post by trimmtrabb » 23 Jun 2015, 11:11

101reykjavik wrote:
Rosie wrote:
no problem!! glad you found it interesting.
(also yeah, scottish culture is quite different to english, but I understand why it's easy for foreign people to mix the two, seeing as we're on the same island)

Rosie

Post by Rosie » 23 Jun 2015, 13:08

101reykjavik wrote:
Rosie wrote:
Argh, this is were my incompetence leads me......... :? :? :?

Rosie

Post by Rosie » 23 Jun 2015, 13:10

trimmtrabb wrote: (also yeah, scottish culture is quite different to english, but I understand why it's easy for foreign people to mix the two, seeing as we're on the same island)
Yes, i tend to consider your difference like our regional difference, not a big deal, save that for you it's difference between states, not regions...sorry...

trimmtrabb

Post by trimmtrabb » 23 Jun 2015, 13:29

Rosie wrote:
trimmtrabb wrote: (also yeah, scottish culture is quite different to english, but I understand why it's easy for foreign people to mix the two, seeing as we're on the same island)
Yes, i tend to consider your difference like our regional difference, not a big deal, save that for you it's difference between states, not regions...sorry...
it's fine don't worry about it! there are definitely a lot of similarities anyway so it really doesn't matter that much

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 23 Jun 2015, 16:21

metalhipslop wrote:watched the video of it. good show, though I didn't really like the "here we, here we, here we fucking go" at the beginning of Song 2 :?
At the gig I thought he was saying "Huey fucking go", and I was like, "Who the fuck is this Huey and what does Damon have against him?" :lol:

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 23 Jun 2015, 18:08

trimmtrabb wrote:
Rosie wrote:
it's fine don't worry about it! there are definitely a lot of similarities anyway so it really doesn't matter that much
I was only messing around. Anyone sensible either side of the border doesn't worry about such things. 8-)

Rosie

Post by Rosie » 24 Jun 2015, 07:26

Rubi wrote: At the gig I thought he was saying "Huey fucking go", and I was like, "Who the fuck is this Huey and what does Damon have against him?" :lol:
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Legless Owl

Post by Legless Owl » 26 Jun 2015, 00:21

miko wrote:Coming back on topic, having rewatched that show, is it me or Terracota Heart seemed to be very emotional for the boys? Especially for Alex and Graham?
Not that it seems weird. That song can really strongly get to you...
I was in the second row on the left of the stage, not exactly in front of Graham, but close and I remember thinking during MTH that he looked either very concentrated or sad / lost in his thoughts... When I browsed through the pics/smalls vids I'd made of the show, i found a very small clip of Graham during MTH (very small because I actually intended to take a pic and probably messed up with my phone and ended up filming a couple of seconds), and he really looks moved. Then again, it's Graham so you can never really tell. I was front row, just in front of him at Mode gig and he barely looked up from his guitar during MTH too though.

Here's the (again, really small) clip from MTH at le Zénith. I've uploaded it on my YouTube but haven't listed it as it's very short: https://youtu.be/Uaunnx4RPB4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, I've had an amazing time in Paris. Sure, I wouldn't have minded if they had dropped Parklife (not saying i didn't enjoy it, it was really crazy in the front rows! such a nice feeling!) for Ice Cream Man (why does it have to be my favourite TMW song when it looks like they're not going to play it live again, aaaaaargh!! And yet it sounded so amazing live! well...) or any other TMW for that matter, or even any other MLIR song, but that's just me splitting hairs because really, it was a wonderful gig and definitely worth the hours of waiting

(I arrived at le Zénith at 3pm, doors opened at 6.30pm and after that I spent the next six hours standing or even jumping and thought I'd die crushed against the barriers more than I should have - or crushed against Damon when he came and sang in the crowd jut next to where i was standing during Trimm Trabb. Well, come to think of it, that would not have been such a dramatic death. :P I had traveled twice from the north of France to Paris in 4 days --I went to McCartney's gig at Stade de France on thursday 11--, it's been really complicated to organize everything between my work and my son who I had to leave at my 85 year old grandma's, etc etc... Well, that's when you realise you're definitely not in your 20s anymore :mrgreen: God, it took me nearly a whole week to "recover" :lol: But no regrets! :D )

Also, For tomorrow and The universal made me really emotional. I dunno, it's like I could feel each note in every single cell of my body. Was it because it felt amazing to hear two of my favourite songs live? Was it because I knew the gig was coming to an end and I just didn't want it? All I know is that I was deeply, deeply moved.

I've recorded a couple of short vids but which are not of any interest as the concert was filmed. Except just this little fun vid of Damon pretending to feel dizzy during the Universal: https://youtu.be/hy69G6HoHus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here are a couple of my pics: