B-Roads

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

MrMagpie

Re: B-Roads

Post by MrMagpie » 27 May 2015, 16:24

tender wrote:
MrMagpie wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:I don't think the band would care if it did leak to be honest.
The band might not, but EMI or whoever it is now (the copyright holders) certainly would and they've made that very clear...
Do you think they are saving it for a proper reissue sometime in the future?
Not in a million years is the feeling I've gotten, but at the end of the day only they know.
AdvertBreak wrote:It isn't the holy grail, its the damn common cold. I get quite annoyed when B-Roads get mentioned every now and again because there's nothing else to say about it.
Agreed. We've done this over and over (and OVER) on the old forum. I hope this can just die and we can finally move on. It's like picking at a nasty scab...

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

Blurcast

Post by Blurcast » 28 May 2015, 02:10

We came very close to getting it out there a few years ago on the old forum as a video stream, but when it became clear that there was no way to stop people from making a recording of it, the idea was shelved.

As time goes on, the less I understand the whole controversy surrounding it. Then again, I kind of like this as I'm sure if it was released, there would probably be a real sense of anti-climax (it's not exactly Cocksucker Blues). That said, it's a wonderfully odd film which fits in well with the themes of The Great Escape - large sections of it are like shit late-night local tv documentaries which have nothing to do with the band at all. Read MrMagpie's write-up for a detailed description.

Plus, I don't think the film is really called 'B-Roads' is it? This was a working title mentioned in one issue of the fan club magazine but ever after it's been referred to simply as 'The Great Escape'.

Parlophone had the perfect opportunity to release the footage with the 21 boxset, but for whatever reason they chose not to. So, for now, the controversy continues...

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 28 May 2015, 05:52

It seems the people irritated by it's mention are the people who have obv already seen it...

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 28 May 2015, 06:24

The details of what is actually in the documentary are out there already. Unless you are the type of person who wants to replicate Damon's look from that period of time, or note when he started wearing baggy jeans and no belt, I'm not really sure what you might expect/want to learn from it being released/leaked. For example, I haven't watched a single DVD from the 21 set yet, because I've listened to all 3 gigs several times via bootlegs and seen them on TV/VHS previously.

I'm sure it would have been considered for the 21 box, but simply just doesn't hang together well enough to be of sustainable interest, they can't really film anything now that would sit smoothly to try and salvage something more fleshed out (even if they wanted to, which it seems they don't) perhaps also an argument to suggest it might not help the career of some of the more senior editors/producers.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 28 May 2015, 12:17

dougharrison wrote:The details of what is actually in the documentary are out there already.
Exactly! And it ain't pretty. Just reading over the relevant part of The Last Party can tell you that.

Can we go back to talking about Death Metal?

rob_graves

Post by rob_graves » 28 May 2015, 20:23

Sledge Hammer wrote:It seems the people irritated by it's mention are the people who have obv already seen it...
Couldn't agree more.

rob_graves

Post by rob_graves » 28 May 2015, 20:26

AdvertBreak wrote:
dougharrison wrote:The details of what is actually in the documentary are out there already.
Exactly! And it ain't pretty. Just reading over the relevant part of The Last Party can tell you that.

Sure thing! I wanna hear this song bad.

I find it humorous that we can talk about other unreleased things with no arguments at all but the second a certain road gets mentioned it brings out the moans from some people. It's just a chat forum! ;)

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 28 May 2015, 20:35

rob_graves wrote:
AdvertBreak wrote:

Sure thing! I wanna hear this song bad.

I find it humorous that we can talk about other unreleased things with no arguments at all but the second a certain road gets mentioned it brings out the moans from some people. It's just a chat forum! ;)
Its just maybe because we know its an endless road (not a B-road) really lol.

rob_graves

Post by rob_graves » 28 May 2015, 23:24

So I'm thinking we launch a Kickstarter campaign to raise money and whoever leaks it shall get the bounty.

sara-m-a

Post by sara-m-a » 29 May 2015, 01:26

A vhs can get "lost" over time... and subsecuently found by other unsuspecting people, I mean it can get mixed up with other recordings of crappy tv shows, soap operas and football matches... :lol:

Anyways, I remember years ago I saw a bit of footage, I don't even remember where I saw it, it was Damon in tweed riding a bike on some rural road, it looked very odd actually, noy sure what it all meant

beatfloh

Post by beatfloh » 29 May 2015, 07:29

rob_graves wrote:So I'm thinking we launch a Kickstarter campaign to raise money and whoever leaks it shall get the bounty.
About a handful have people have got it, none of them would give it away for money.Think I repeat myself, leaking it wouldn't be fair on the person who owns it, because everyone would know where it came from and that would cause a lot of trouble

mishmosh

Post by mishmosh » 29 May 2015, 13:02

I heard on the grapevine that B-Roads is not particularly interesting, so I'll take their word on it!

Indiana

Post by Indiana » 29 May 2015, 16:14

mishmosh wrote:I heard on the grapevine that B-Roads is not particularly interesting, so I'll take their word on it!
Oh I don't know mish... that orgy scene is pretty intense.

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 29 May 2015, 16:47

rob_graves wrote:So I'm thinking we launch a Kickstarter campaign to raise money and whoever leaks it shall get the bounty.
Which they can then use to pay their legal fees when EMI come after them. Sounds like a plan! :roll: :lol:

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 29 May 2015, 16:49

beatfloh wrote:
About a handful have people have got it, none of them would give it away for money.Think I repeat myself, leaking it wouldn't be fair on the person who owns it, because everyone would know where it came from and that would cause a lot of trouble
Finally, the voice of reason!
mishmosh wrote:I heard on the grapevine that B-Roads is not particularly interesting, so I'll take their word on it!
That is true. As has been mentioned, you can read my write-up in my second book. It's interesting from the point of view of being really weird, but it pales in comparison, BY FAR, to Star Shaped. It reminds me of the way "Carnival of Light" has been built up by Beatles fans over the years as this amazing lost piece when the one person outside the band and George Martin who has heard it (Mark Lewisohn) has said many times that it's pretty awful and would only be listened to once by most fans. B-Roads would suffer the same fate.