B-Roads

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

jonathas

Re: B-Roads

Post by jonathas » 04 Jul 2020, 18:51

TracyJosh wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 15:37
I think it’s the fact that a portion of Blur fans on here have seen it. That’s why the rest of us feel a bit hard done by. And given the fact they have seen it, it makes little sense why a few more of us can’t. If it had never been seen by anyone out with the the filmmakers, the band and their immediate circle of management and record company, then there would be little to discuss and everyone would probably understand. It would be deemed unobtainable and we would accept it and move on. The trouble is that is has been in circulation with a choice few blur fans, to the extent there’s a scene by scene analysis in a fan made book, which was a USP of said book, but the footage itself eludes us.
Yup, good point - that makes sense.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 05 Jul 2020, 09:40

TracyJosh wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 14:46
It is actually becoming beyond silly that it hasn't been leaked online yet. Concert films and tour documentaries being significant releases is a thing of the past. It's hardly a valuable asset to the record company anymore, you can barely monetize even brand new documentaries, let alone old artifacts like this that matter to about 200 of us diehard Blur fans.

Someone on here could also just make a private group and give out an unlisted link, we could all watch it and then the conversation would completely cease forever.
Exactly, send us it now!!! :shock: :lol:

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 05 Jul 2020, 11:34

... Having said that, I understand why those who have a copy feel a duty of respect to whomever they got it from not to share it with any kind of larger audience. I’m not in any way wanting to pressure those on here who have it or anything. Just in general I feel in the grand scheme of things it wouldn’t be detrimental if fan club members saw it. I don’t think it would even be worth telling me mum I’d seen it when I next go round for dinner. Its so insignificant to anyone who isn’t a Blur obsessive!

stephen

Post by stephen » 06 Jul 2020, 07:18

I might be wrong, but I don't think many if any have a copy of it in their possession...they might have watched it but they don't have it to distribute

Liese

Post by Liese » 06 Jul 2020, 07:40

stephen wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 07:18
I might be wrong, but I don't think many if any have a copy of it in their possession...they might have watched it but they don't have it to distribute
IRRC, that must be true. It's not like a big number of select fans have a copy, I think it must come down to a (low) single-digit number...
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

mizzuzjoja

Post by mizzuzjoja » 06 Jul 2020, 18:50

I've always found it rich indeed that the few who've had access have been so sanctimonious about "protecting the band's reputation" and "honoring the band's wishes" -- but only after watching it themselves, and in some cases (cough, Black Book) even directly profiting off of it.

Well, I hope they feel special.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 06 Jul 2020, 23:30

mizzuzjoja wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 18:50
I've always found it rich indeed that the few who've had access have been so sanctimonious about "protecting the band's reputation" and "honoring the band's wishes" -- but only after watching it themselves, and in some cases (cough, Black Book) even directly profiting off of it.

Think that's incredibly harsh.

The first edition of Black Book didn't include any mention of it. He only wrote a second edition as the band had played more gigs (IIRC the first book was pre-reunion). Drew only included it in the second edition because a lot of the fans were desperate to find out more about it and asked him to write about it. He also gave the band/management/documentary makers footage for NDLTR, which I don't believe he received any kind of remuneration for (he is listed on the credits).

Going back several years a lot of stills (over 100) were shared with a commentary/narrative by a fan on FB totally free of charge because fans were interested and I'm told EMI issued a cease and desist. That was in the days when uploading videos of that length wasn't feasible for most internet users. As such by providing a written commentary I think he went as far as he could to try and provide info to those who fairly frequently aggressively demand it.

PaulG

Post by PaulG » 07 Jul 2020, 17:14

dougharrison wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 23:30
mizzuzjoja wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 18:50

Think that's incredibly harsh.

The first edition of Black Book didn't include any mention of it. He only wrote a second edition as the band had played more gigs (IIRC the first book was pre-reunion). Drew only included it in the second edition because a lot of the fans were desperate to find out more about it and asked him to write about it. He also gave the band/management/documentary makers footage for NDLTR, which I don't believe he received any kind of remuneration for (he is listed on the credits).
This.

I can't imagine anyone bought the Black Book second edition solely for the documentary synopsis. It's a fantastic book, and one that I'm proud to have contributed to in a very small way, but if ever there was a niche labour of love it's Black Book. I doubt Drew's living a life of luxury through writing it.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 09 Jul 2020, 11:09

Just bought the 2nd edition of Black Book, hope Drew is ok out there...

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 15 Jul 2020, 01:42

Wait, so the author of an unauthorised Blur book got a copy of this film that's so hard to find, the band didn't even have it to use for their own documentary?

Clearly digital rips exist. We live in boring times. It would be very nice to have the last few select members of this forum all DMed for a one-off stream (you can do it on youtube) on a private link and entrust no one would pester again or do anything dodge.

stephen

Post by stephen » 15 Jul 2020, 05:24

Pavlich wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 01:42
Wait, so the author of an unauthorised Blur book got a copy of this film that's so hard to find, the band didn't even have it to use for their own documentary?

Clearly digital rips exist. We live in boring times. It would be very nice to have the last few select members of this forum all DMed for a one-off stream (you can do it on youtube) on a private link and entrust no one would pester again or do anything dodge.
I don't think that's what doug meant, although I might be wrong?

I think drew provided some footage for ndltr, doesn't mean it was the leaked "B-Roads" tape, more likely footage around the time that ndltr was filmed?

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 15 Jul 2020, 11:48

stephen wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 05:24
Pavlich wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 01:42

I don't think that's what doug meant, although I might be wrong?

I think drew provided some footage for ndltr, doesn't mean it was the leaked "B-Roads" tape, more likely footage around the time that ndltr was filmed?
That's correct Stephen, or at least that's how I meant it. I assume that EMI own the rights to B-Roads and as such would have made the footage available for the NDLTR doc, or if not they could have contacted the director (whose name escapes me, possibly Ceri Levy) who has worked closely with the band over a long period and got the footage that way.

John_d

Post by John_d » 15 Jul 2020, 12:55

My only comment on this would be - I would appreciate someone sending me a DM to this doc so I could watch it. Thanks!

beatfloh

Post by beatfloh » 20 Jul 2020, 14:53

Drew had contact to the person who filmed the Seymour gig, that's what he provided. It's about 30 minutes long

Dizzzy

Post by Dizzzy » 22 Jul 2020, 16:28

Wait so we do know where the film is now right?