For those of you who have babies

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Legless Owl

For those of you who have babies

Post by Legless Owl » 15 May 2015, 16:26

Or simply those of you who can't sleep at night, I guess it'd work better than counting sheep :P

https://youtu.be/P7m7_-Mn3mM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They've also got Beetlebum, The universal, Sing, Coffee and Tv, Parklife, Popscene, Girls and boys, Song 2 (yes :lol: ), End of a century, Tender and there's no other way.

Enjoy :)

(I also love their version of Pixies' where is my mind but that's another story)

mr_spenalzo

Re: For those of you who have babies

Post by mr_spenalzo » 16 May 2015, 07:10

I remember there was a thread about this on the old Blur forum when it came out. I think this release offended some there :lol:

It seems cool parents let their kids listen to Sonic Youth and Mastodon, not kiddie music.

My girl's 3.5 years now and has caused many a sleepless night (still does), and there's not a thing any damn lullaby did to reduce that. And I don't think playing "My Friend Goo" will either.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 16 May 2015, 11:12

mr_spenalzo wrote:And I don't think playing "My Friend Goo" will either.
that doesn't even help when I'm awake
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

munch

Post by munch » 18 May 2015, 11:35

I love these, they should do more.
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

Indiana

Post by Indiana » 18 May 2015, 12:22

mr_spenalzo wrote: It seems cool parents let their kids listen to Sonic Youth and Mastodon, not kiddie music.
Not necessarily out of coolness but out of a desperate need to stay sane... having to listen to the theme tune to Bob the builder on repeat after a sleepless night is adding insult to injury if you ask me.

Legless Owl

Post by Legless Owl » 19 May 2015, 14:16

Indiana wrote:
mr_spenalzo wrote: It seems cool parents let their kids listen to Sonic Youth and Mastodon, not kiddie music.
Not necessarily out of coolness but out of a desperate need to stay sane... having to listen to the theme tune to Bob the builder on repeat after a sleepless night is adding insult to injury if you ask me.
Exactly! :P

Well, my son is 5,5 years old and at one month old he was already sleeping through the night so never really had any problem about that but if I still had a baby now, I would have made him listen to that YouTube channel.

It's not a question of coolness... Who said babies could only listen to children songs?

I've been living alone with my son for 3 years (his dad/my husband died in 2012, and as he didn't really like music, there hardly was any music at home before that. And I have no family in the area, so basically, when not at work, I am with my son all of the time), so he inevitably ended up listening to the music I love.

I know some people think I have somehow forced him to have the same tastes as mine. I really didn't.

Sometimes I listen to a song and he says "I hate that one!", other times, he exclaims "Wow! I love that one! Who sings that?" and he asks me to play it again and again.

And to be sure he does not only listen to songs I like, I turn the radio on now and then, and that's how he became a fan of Jackson while I don't even own one of his albums, or how he listened endlessly to Kate Bush's Babooshka during weeks :lol:

Oh I can't say i don't think it's nice to see him interested in the Beatles or in Blur, but if he had hated them, that wouldn't have been a problem at all.

He loves many songs by Blur, sings them (although it's gibberish as he doesn't understand English) while playing air guitar, and also he asked (and still does) a lot of questions about the band: he wanted to know their names, how they met etc... He even asks questions about the lyrics, asks me to translate some of them... For example, whenever he hears "My terracotta heart", he says "oh, yes, that one is the one Damon wrote for Graham" etc.

But in the end, he likes Gorillaz better (he discovered them last year in the YouTube suggestions while watching a Blur video) while I only like a couple of songs and never listen to them.

Doesn't mean I prevent him from listening to kiddie music. Fireman Sam, Robocar Poli, thank you very much. And i won't even start on Frozen's "let it go" :roll:

I sing him a song every night, and you can hear him asking for "Asleep" by the Smiths, just like he can ask for "Hakuna Matata".

That's not coolness, that's open-mindedness :)

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 19 May 2015, 15:38

I think every parent will end up influencing their children's musical tastes somehow, so I think it's very cool you're giving him great stuff like Blur to listen to! I have cousins (ages 5 and 8) who enjoy the Blur music I play, but absolutely LOVE Gorillaz. I believe the whole concept of a cartoon band intrigues children so much, so I can see why your son enjoys it!

Legless Owl

Post by Legless Owl » 19 May 2015, 15:51

Yeah, I think the cartoon concept has something to do with that indeed! :)

Yet it feels weird when you hear say (just like yesterda evening) "Mum, can you play the Gorillaz video in which 2D has ears on his toast?" :lol:

Then, just like for Blur, he asks a lot of questions about the band, like "Why is Murdoc always mean to 2D?", and I can't even answer him as I've never been interested in Gorillaz enough to read the characters' story, and so he's like "pffff, you know nothing!" :lol:

His fav song of all time (well, so far at least :roll: ) is Feel Good inc. I think out of the 4 millions views of that video, half are his! :mrgreen:

TMA

Post by TMA » 20 May 2015, 11:07

The UK will probably have a tory dictator called Otto in about 35 years, a great reason if any for people to stop breeding.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 20 May 2015, 11:39

TMA wrote:The UK will probably have a tory dictator called Otto in about 35 years, a great reason if any for people to stop breeding.
Oh, give a rest. Yawn.