Gig: Barrowland Ballroom, Glasgow, 9 Jun 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Macducci

Re: Gig: Glasgow, 9 June

Post by Macducci » 10 Jun 2015, 00:01

HE THOUGHT OF CARS!!!!!!

Sushi

Post by Sushi » 10 Jun 2015, 01:16

Carssssss:
http://youtu.be/_s0Rdbe0k3E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

God I'm so jealous of you people across the pond I want to see them again sooooooooo bad it hurts >.<

bugman

Post by bugman » 10 Jun 2015, 05:25

To the end?why? Still they Left songs from blur (just 2 singles, its a shame)

JackS

Post by JackS » 10 Jun 2015, 05:27

Great setlist, except the omission of Pyongyang.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 10 Jun 2015, 06:11

No Pyongyang again? Hmmm... :(

danisrubbish

Post by danisrubbish » 10 Jun 2015, 07:25

Watching that He Thought Of Cars clip made me think again what a fantastic, unorthodox bass player Alex is.

beats

Post by beats » 10 Jun 2015, 08:22

bugman wrote:To the end?why? Still they Left songs from blur (just 2 singles, its a shame)
To the end was a highlight.

You lot hate a moan.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » 10 Jun 2015, 08:58

Well, that was good.

Highlights for me?

"There's No Other Way" (which was a twisted, noisy triumph) Trimm Trabb. Beetlebum (with Graham knocking seven shades out his guitar). Always nice to hear "For Tomorrow". Damon not knowing what day it is, and forgetting the words to "This Is A Low" (it's ok - 2000 other folk knew them).

I like these smaller shows - those who have bought tickets have had to really make an effort to do so - it's more than likely that you fill the venue with the die-hards, and the atmosphere swells as a result of that. And also, there is always the Barrowlands effect - I really don't think there is a venue like it in the world. Certainly not one I have been to, and there are a few on that list.

gwyper

Post by gwyper » 10 Jun 2015, 10:35

Absolutely the greatest gig I have ever been to.

It's came at a great time as my last two gigs were the shambolic Libertines performance at the Barras and the Jesus and Mary Chain at the Barras (which was excellent, but completely different).

Would've liked to see a few different songs but on the whole an absolutely belting set!

Expected the crowd to be variable, but on the whole a very decent bunch of people in the area I was at.

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 10 Jun 2015, 13:54

Five stars!

http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-ents ... 1433893428" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, does anyone have a Times subscription because I saw that there was a review (also 5 stars) but it's behind the paywall :evil:

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 10 Jun 2015, 14:03

JAIME wrote:This time I expect more than 20 songs (hopefully 25).
Finally 26 songs, yay!! :P :P :!:

P.S. But no Pyongyang again :shock: :o :(

twostep

Post by twostep » 10 Jun 2015, 14:03

Copy and pasted Times review (5 stars):

Although Blur never officially split up, this opening night of their first UK tour since 2012 felt like a celebration — not only of the band but also of the carefree mood of their 1990s heyday. Bassist Alex James forgot about his duties as a cheese-making gentleman farmer and became an indie heartthrob once more, cigarette dangling insouciantly from his lips as if the smoking ban (and middle age) never happened.
Singer Damon Albarn, now an accomplished, opera-writing polymath, returned to a time when all he wanted to be was a yob in a Fred Perry shirt. The Glaswegian crowd made full use of the Barrowlands’ sprung dance floor, bouncing up and down as one, and one hit after another reminded us that Blur expressed a nervy kind of hedonism, always with one foot outside the party.
Their 2015 album The Magic Whip, their first since 2003, worked because it didn’t try to return to the Blur of the mid-Nineties, instead taking on a more experienced, fretful tone on songs such as My Terracotta Heart, a lament for a time “when we were more like brothers, but that was years ago”. Much of The Magic Whip featured in the set — it began with Go Out, the song most like the Blur of old — and the crowd was familiar enough with it to sing along. The big moments came, inevitably, from that time in the 1990s when friendships were ruined over whether you liked Blur or Oasis.
Parklife remains the ultimate lairy chant, and without the actor Phil Daniels, who shouted out its non-sequiturs about being “rudely awakened by the dustmen” on the recorded version, Albarn did it instead, getting into the spirit by looking as if he was about to challenge the entire audience to a fight.
The delivery of the material was nothing if not authentic. On There’s No Other Way, the indie disco favourite that first established Blur as a big act, guitarist Graham Coxon replicated his solo note for note, no mean feat given that he recorded it 24 years ago.
The band were tight, but more importantly seemed to be enjoying the concert, not abandoning themselves to it so much as revelling in their ability still to share a stage. On the second of two encores they played their one true masterpiece, 1994’s Girls & Boys, in which Albarn revealed both his fascination and disdain for the unthinking promiscuity of Club 18-30 holidays. He got so excited he ended up surfing over the crowd’s heads. Blur finished with The Universal, a beery anthem tinged with melancholy, and the four men on stage with now very different lives were brothers once more, if only for a night.
it's me, d4p

they would compare her to lilies, and she had to go to parties, and london was so dreary

twostep

Post by twostep » 10 Jun 2015, 14:06

I'm not sure about Girls and Boys being 'their one true masterpiece' :lol:
it's me, d4p

they would compare her to lilies, and she had to go to parties, and london was so dreary

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 10 Jun 2015, 14:15

twostep wrote:I'm not sure about Girls and Boys being 'their one true masterpiece' :lol:
Yeah that bit's rather odd! Also not sure that The Universal is a "beery anthem".

Oh and thanks for the review!

tommyj

Post by tommyj » 10 Jun 2015, 16:08

How stringent were they on ticket ID checks last night?