Gig: Empress Ballroom, Blackpool, 10 Jun 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

101reykjavik

Re: Gig: Blackpool, 10 June

Post by 101reykjavik » 11 Jun 2015, 11:40

Sounds like an odd gig. 'Barrier-gate' and atmosphere partially killed, strange set-list omissions, lots of casual fans in the crowd talking, dodgy sound. Doesn't add up to a classic Blur gig from what I can tell. Given the choice I'd still have been there, but yeah, not a classic. Such a shame at a lovely venue like that too.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 11 Jun 2015, 11:42

It was a bit annoying that the safety barrier collapsed during TNOW but it was no fault of the band obviously, although I didn’t think it helped that some idiots were booing around me and due to the delay we missed out on Ghost Ship, Mirrorball & There are too many of us from the night before, if I remember rightly, but apart from that a great night and a strong and long set, that will teach me for finding out what Glasgow’s setlist was. Many many highlights, loved Parklife (I like the Damon version), I Broadcast, Beetlebum, HTOC was awesome and Stereotypes was fantastic, it felt like 1995 all over again. Shame some of the new songs had to take a dive due to the delay but then again the majority of the crowd who don’t know the new material would have missed the older songs more and the band did the right thing I guess.

The sound wasn't the best I guess, which is strange as I though the Ballroom would be great, but once again, I don't think it was Blur themselves as they were tight, just didn't carry as well but don't really have any complaints.

And on another plus note, I got a Blur comic :D Which will never be released from its sealed wrapping :)

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 11 Jun 2015, 11:46

What - one of the signed comics?

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 11 Jun 2015, 11:48

Confirmation that Ghost Ship was dropped. FUCK!! Should have ditched To The End instead, Ghost Ship is a cracker.

You can also see that they didn't even plan on playing Mirrorball/There Are Too Many of Us. I wouldn't go as far as saying it was a disappointing night but out of the 9 Blur shows I've been to so far it was probably the least satisfying mainly due to the bloody barrier incident. You could tell the band were getting into it by the second song and then, oh, off stage. They never fully recovered.

Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

gwyper

Post by gwyper » 11 Jun 2015, 12:04

I do agree, Ghost Ship is a topper, but see why they'd want to trim that to proceed to the middle core of the setlist incase there were any more difficulties.

Glasgow was always going to be the gold standard of the tour due to it being the Barras, but feel extra lucky to have attended now.

Let's hope for no more venue bloopers!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 11 Jun 2015, 12:10

I'd say Wolverhampton is the gold standard of the tour so far, incredible having Song 2 so early in the set compared to so late (Glasgow, Blackpool). The entire set was top notch. Arguably one of the all time BEST setlists too. I mean:

Go Out
Song 2
Lonesome Street
Ghost Ship
Out Of Time
Coffee & TV
Thought I Was A Spaceman
Trimm Trabb
I Broadcast
Trouble In The Message Centre
Beetlebum
Tender
Mirrorball
There Are Too Many Of Us

--------

Stereotypes
For Tomorrow
This Is A Low
Girls & Boys
Ong Ong
The Universal
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

gwyper

Post by gwyper » 11 Jun 2015, 12:23

I guess it's hard to judge as depending on where you've been in the crowd (i.e. arses/casuals around you), the crowd in general, the venue factor, the setlist, they all factor in. This was the best gig I have ever been too. The Barras factor is not fiction, it really is magical!

Glasgow setlist was the same, a small amount of switching and six songs more including HTOC :-D

A perfect Barras gig would trump 99.9% of other gigs in other venues.

Wish I could've made them all, but kids prevent travelling now :lol:. Have Hyde Park next though, but will be very different.

Anyone any links to videos from Blackpool?

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 11 Jun 2015, 12:36

I don't think I've ever been to Glasgow so I'll have to check out the venue when I do go as it sounds excellent!

I took a 30 second clip of Coffee & TV which I'll throw on Facebook in a bit. :)

gwyper

Post by gwyper » 11 Jun 2015, 12:38

Cheers!

miko

Post by miko » 11 Jun 2015, 13:06

Wow a lot of drama yesterday! It even was mentioned on BBC 6 Music this morning, as well as some fans sharing their experiences from the show. Thank god it didn't get worse and no one got hurt 'cause that would be right downer.

Oh and yes, Graham will be on Shaun Keaveny's breakfast show next Thursday.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 11 Jun 2015, 13:20

Coffee & TV: https://youtu.be/hjF9BBYFaZ0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 11 Jun 2015, 13:22

101reykjavik wrote:What - one of the signed comics?
Nope, unfortunately not, just the standard one but one of the few new items I wanted to pick up.

miko

Post by miko » 11 Jun 2015, 14:16

Stereotypes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVFupTfy0Bo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sara-m-a

Post by sara-m-a » 11 Jun 2015, 14:19

miko wrote:Stereotypes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVFupTfy0Bo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 11 Jun 2015, 14:19

tom_cas1 wrote:Barrier broke...band stopped playing. SHIT. Jamming instead. New song!!
Something similar happened in October here when Damon started the show, but the barrier never fell completely. Anyway the show stopped during 30 minutes or something. After Damon came back to the stage, the show was magical and epic. :P