Gig: Empress Ballroom, Blackpool, 10 Jun 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

bugman

Re: Gig: Blackpool, 10 June

Post by bugman » 11 Jun 2015, 08:35

A Little bit shame cos band Left 3 songs

PaulG

Post by PaulG » 11 Jun 2015, 08:43

I can't add much that hasn't already been said.

The negs:
The barrier incident, which seemed to affect the show up until Trimm Trabb. It really felt at times during the first hour that they were rushing through to catch up on the time they'd lost. The last time I'd seen so little interaction with the audience was Blackburn 2003 when Damon was majorly hungover;
I would've liked a few more songs from TMW, especially TATMOU...
I was sitting in the balcony right at the back and the sound quality seemed really poor - at times you could scarcely hear Damon and the levels were all over the place. Anyone else notice this?
A really mixed audience. The couple next to us didn't seem interested until 'Parklife'... then they left halfway through it!!

But the pluses:
It's Blur! Touring again! With new songs :) :) :) Honestly, despite the above comments I'm really grateful to have been there!
One of my all-time favourite tracks, 'He Thought of Cars'. Mind-blowingly beautiful. And Trimm Trabb and Beetlebum had the hairs on the back of my neck on end.
One they got into full stride it was an astonishing performance, capturing the energy of early Blur but with ultra-tight control which was made to look effortless. I think it's the best I've ever seen them.

bugman

Post by bugman » 11 Jun 2015, 09:08

Just found original setlist and it has just 23 songs.so they played everything. Strange, why they Left 3 tmw songs?

Ice cream man - i Think they never play it again

JackS

Post by JackS » 11 Jun 2015, 09:11

bugman wrote:Just found original setlist and it has just 23 songs.so they played everything. Strange, why they Left 3 tmw songs?
If that's the case, that is bizarre. I was sure TATMOU would be a fixture of this tour.

And to lose Ghost Ship and Mirrorball on top of no Pyongyang (let alone Ice Cream Man) is almost criminal.

Liese

Post by Liese » 11 Jun 2015, 09:24

JackS wrote:And to lose Ghost Ship and Mirrorball on top of no Pyongyang (let alone Ice Cream Man) is almost criminal.
True it is...
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

PaulG

Post by PaulG » 11 Jun 2015, 09:26

bugman wrote:Just found original setlist and it has just 23 songs.so they played everything. Strange, why they Left 3 tmw songs?

Where did you find it? Do you have a link?

Liese

Post by Liese » 11 Jun 2015, 09:33

tom_cas1 wrote:Currently watching a bunch of chimps tying to fix the barrier. Typical British workers standing around hoping someone else knows how to fix it. Gormless!!!
That was the point when I decided it would be time to leave the second row for a place on the side... That and having seen the worried look on both Graham's and particularly Smoggy's face. The venue people seemed pretty clueless and it was the band's crew, particularly Smog and that other guy (long, curly-ish hair, don't know his name) that insisted this was fixed!

I had a very good view on what was going on at the barrier from my new place at the side, and the venue workers literally kept working on it up until almost the encore... But I am amazed how the band managed to get into full swing afterwards (except for a little less crowd interaction of Damon and a somewhat angry Graham, as it appeared to me -- who can blame him given the circumstances...) and what their crew can handle on top of the ordinary gig malarkey. Thanks and chapeau to them.
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

JackS

Post by JackS » 11 Jun 2015, 09:36

Liese wrote: But I am amazed how the band managed to get into full swing afterwards (except for a little less crowd interaction of Damon and a somewhat angry Graham, as it appeared to me -- who can blame him given the circumstances...)
I remember we had a briefly angry Graham at Margate 2012 when his amps kept cutting out. When it eventually got sorted, I felt sorry for his poor guitar as he was clearly taking out all his anger on it!

Magda

Post by Magda » 11 Jun 2015, 09:55

Me and debz met, were pushed at the very beginning to the second row :D . I had a great time!

The sound was crap, though.

bugman

Post by bugman » 11 Jun 2015, 10:03

PaulG wrote:

Where did you find it? Do you have a link?
Facebook. A person put a Picture of setlist

CrossWires

Post by CrossWires » 11 Jun 2015, 10:36

Weird gig for me. They played some great versions of the songs and it was great to hear He Thought Of Cars but the barrier thing really killed it for a bit and I was feeling pretty let down by the security at the venue. Surely you have to be prepared for a band of this size? Pleased nobody was hurt though. Once the band found their feet again they were fantastic. Amazing Beetlebum and This Is A Low. Looking forward to Hyde Park now although if people talked through the new songs here it will be 1000 times more annoying there. the 2009/2012 gigs there were mostly full of people waiting for Song 2 but I suppose you can't fill a place that big with obsessives.

Wippet

Post by Wippet » 11 Jun 2015, 10:47

Spending £60 to listen to one song for 2 and half minutes. Some people.

gwyper

Post by gwyper » 11 Jun 2015, 10:48

Feel sorry for the band and the fans at this one. I'm glad that it did get dragged back to where it should've been.

Was it just unlucky, or should it have been prevented? It's not like Blur fans are the most physically mental for a gig either.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 11 Jun 2015, 10:59

A few other people have brought it up but the sound was indeed crap. Very muddy on certain songs for some reason and hard to hear Damon's singing too. Not every song though which was really weird.

I'm glad I went to Wolverhampton on Saturday, that's the benchmark show for me this year (not including MODE).
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

twostep

Post by twostep » 11 Jun 2015, 11:10

gwyper wrote:Feel sorry for the band and the fans at this one. I'm glad that it did get dragged back to where it should've been.

Was it just unlucky, or should it have been prevented? It's not like Blur fans are the most physically mental for a gig either.
It should definitely have been prevented. It's not like the barrier broke partway through the gig due to the strain - it was clear from the moment the band came on that it wasn't secure. Some people behind me who had seen Kings of Leon at the venue said that they had the same problem with the barrier at that gig (!). Really dangerous and could have caused a crush if it had collapsed. Not impressed by the venue at all.
it's me, d4p

they would compare her to lilies, and she had to go to parties, and london was so dreary