Gig: Empress Ballroom, Blackpool, 10 Jun 2015

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Caitlin

Re: Gig: Blackpool, 10 June

Post by Caitlin » 10 Jun 2015, 21:05

AstronomyD81 wrote:OMG!!I hope everyone at the front is ok!
This. Did it look like anyone was hurt?

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 10 Jun 2015, 21:08

I don't think anyone was hurt thankfully, the barrier was just shit. You could hear them banging nails in during the break!!! :lol:
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 10 Jun 2015, 21:11

I am...THE FUCKING MANAGER!!!!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 10 Jun 2015, 21:12

tom_cas1 wrote:Half the audience talking through Spaceman.....
What's the matter with them! It's a warm-up gig, not a festival where some people just wander around and listen to bands they usually don't care about.. What is even the point to come to the show and constantly talk during the performance, ugh
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

bugman

Post by bugman » 10 Jun 2015, 21:15

no oot and ghost ship?

brett

Post by brett » 10 Jun 2015, 21:45

Starting encore now

To the end and this is a low were beautiful

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 10 Jun 2015, 22:31

Yep no Ghost Ship or Pyongyang. Tad disappointed but due to the barrier balls up they probably had to cut Ghost Ship. Also Ong Ong should be an encore song but it was played mid-set. Really love Go Out as a show opener. Gets the crowd going!!

Overall a great show. The barrier cock up made the band a little quite and subdued onstage but after 4-5 songs they were back at it. What a show. Maybe the best Beetlebum I've heard live and I've been to 9 shows so far.

Now for the 4 hour drive home...

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 10 Jun 2015, 22:36

Sounds like an eventful night. Bit of a shame if it killed the vibe for several songs afterwards. I'd be a bit pissed off if I'd paid and lost out on a song and general atmosphere due to poor venue preparations. Hope the rest of the set more than made up for it for everyone.
Last edited by 101reykjavik on 10 Jun 2015, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.

Legless Owl

Post by Legless Owl » 10 Jun 2015, 22:38

No Ice Cream Man either I suppose? (as if it was even worth asking... :roll: )

Thanks for having kept us updated tom. :)

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 10 Jun 2015, 22:47

No problem chief. :) Yeah the barrier broke during the second song which seriously killed the vibe. Actually now I think about it Damon barely spoke to the audience after that. One or two times but that was it which is nothing compared to Wolverhampton the other night where he was talking quite a lot. No real banter with Graham either. Damon did seem annoyed especially when he said "does anyone know how to fix it? Doesn't look like it."

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 10 Jun 2015, 23:01

Setlist: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/blur/2015 ... 9d12c.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kenny

Post by Kenny » 10 Jun 2015, 23:19

I was stood at the barrier, it wasn't broke, they just decided not to bolt them down and together in the same place, so they just came apart, absolutely stupid, surely they should have anticipated something like that would happen. Although Damon Albarn held my hand for like half of Go Out, not washing my right hand ever again
Then Susan comes into the room, she's a naughty girl with a lovely smile...

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 11 Jun 2015, 00:51

I was a few rows back, I thought the gig was amazing, but as has already been said, the barrier incident did effect the vibe for a bit, but the band got it back up!

Go out is an amazing opener, crowd were loving it!
It annoyed me too the people talking during Spaceman which was really beautiful!

So many highlights, that I can't pick them out really.

The only song that didn't work for me was My terracotta heart, really like the song, but it just didn't do it for me live.

The only slight gripe was they didn't play a bit more of The Magic Whip, but I guess the barrier may have had something to do without that. I would loved to have heard There are too many of us and Pyongyang.

Overall though, another amazing performance from the boys.

My brother also managed to get a picture with Graham as he passed us outside beforehand , but they were running late, so I never got one. Alex was with him too.

twostep

Post by twostep » 11 Jun 2015, 02:59

The barrier thing was pretty frightening actually, from where I was standing (in the second row). Graham was the first to notice, and tried to alert security several times but they basically ignored him. They finally caught on halfway through There's No Other Way, and Damon had to signal to the band to stop playing. At that point I really thought the gig was going to be called off, because it wasn't looking good... The entire barrier had given way and was being held up by security. So the band went offstage and the audience was asked to move backwards so the barrier could be fixed (ie be taped up and kicked a few times... not very technical). So the guys came back on and finished There's No Other Way, but it took a few songs for the atmosphere to feel like a blur gig again - everyone was being pretty cautious initially - not wanting the barriers to break and the show to be stopped.

Eventually everyone got back into the groove and it was a great gig, but a few songs were lost. Basically it was really shoddy work by the venue, for not having the barriers secured in the first place, and then not knowing how to fix them when problems arose. But kudos to the band for handing it well and getting on with the gig.
it's me, d4p

they would compare her to lilies, and she had to go to parties, and london was so dreary

thestunt

Post by thestunt » 11 Jun 2015, 06:07

He thought of cars....

https://youtu.be/7PHh3yXMDas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry about the talking, lot of people chating during this gig apart from during the "hits".probably most ive heard during any gig, quieter songs weregetting drowned out where i was standing by talking and was only 3 meters or so from stage Grrrrr